Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #1721
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Holy crap, I do love that. And the watch strap makes it IMO. Sick watch.
Do it.

An IWC was my first "big boy" watch... You'd love it!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #1722
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Depends on the model generally.

Getting a stainless steel Rolex Daytona has been nearly impossible for years now, they're always in high demand and ADs usually hold them for their long-time repeat customers.

Submariner and GMT were sometimes tricky to get in stainless steel, always
much easier to find two-tone and precious metal.

Oyster Perpetual, Datejust, and Explorer models you used basically trip over on the way into an AD for the longest time, though they were usually two-tone or precious metal versions, and especially anything with the weird dials that Rolex often had on some models that ADs had trouble moving because they're so buyer specific.

Some versions of a model (like Dark Rhodium in the 114300) are in higher demand than others (like Red Grape), so you'll usually see a run on that specific colour spec and the used prices escalate accordingly. Sometimes having eclectic tastes relative to the typical Rolex purist is an advantage sometimes when inventory is tight.
Is the Submariner a good safe entry into Rolex land (for a casual-styled person; I don't wear suits ever)? Or is that just looking at it the wrong way and you should just get whatever the fata you want? I mean, I know there are no rules necessarily, but is there a generally accepted model as a good, robust first Rolex?

Edit: To add, I definitely would want more of a timeless style to pass down to my son and hopefully beyond.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #1723
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Do it.

An IWC was my first "big boy" watch... You'd love it!
Cool. I even like the 43mm size for me. Not ostentatiously huge, but not too small as I have big hands.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #1724
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is the Submariner a good safe entry into Rolex land (for a casual-styled person; I don't wear suits ever)? Or is that just looking at it the wrong way and you should just get whatever the fata you want? I mean, I know there are no rules necessarily, but is there a generally accepted model as a good, robust first Rolex?

Edit: To add, I definitely would want more of a timeless style to pass down to my son and hopefully beyond.
The important thing is to get whatever you want, but a Sub is a classic... Like getting a 911.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 09:45 AM   #1725
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Hey, that IWC has a NATO strap! Sliver may appreciate.
What is a "NATO strap"?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #1726
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What is a "NATO strap"?
These.

Edit: I don't think my sick burn worked with that link.

I'm too crappy at posting images to find one and post for you, but really google Nato strap and click on images. Just a type of watch strap. I like them better than other types right now.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #1727
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
What is a "NATO strap"?
Originally a military issue strap with a NATO designation. Helps keep your watch even if you lose one of the spring bars so that you don't lose the whole watch. It gives the watch a more casual or tool look.

James Bond wore a NATO strap on his Rolex in Goldfinger.

The other strap is the Zulu strap, which doesn't have additional wrap around band of the NATO.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #1728
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey UCB...not that everyone needs to see my Seiko 5 on every page, but this is my watch with a NATO strap. You'll probably recognize the style as they're fairly popular.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:12 PM   #1729
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Submariner (or Submariner Date) is an easy win like you&me said, it's the Porsche 911 Carrera of the watch world.

A 41mm DateJust is a good option as well, as it can slip between casual and dressy with ease (especially with the Jubilee bracelet, which I quite like on the DJ).

Biggest difference between the Sub and the DJ is the Sub is unapologetically a sportswatch. Big unidirectional diver's bezel, large bright hour markers and hands, chunky case lugs. Hour markers and lugs got significantly bigger from the five-digit model Sub and the current six-digit models that came after 2010. In many ways, the DateJust is basically what the pre-2010 Submariner Date was in form-factor without the rotating bezel and crown guards.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #1730
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Submariner (or Submariner Date) is an easy win like you&me said, it's the Porsche 911 Carrera of the watch world.

A 41mm DateJust is a good option as well, as it can slip between casual and dressy with ease (especially with the Jubilee bracelet, which I quite like on the DJ).

Biggest difference between the Sub and the DJ is the Sub is unapologetically a sportswatch. Big unidirectional diver's bezel, large bright hour markers and hands, chunky case lugs. Hour markers and lugs got significantly bigger from the five-digit model Sub and the current six-digit models that came after 2010. In many ways, the DateJust is basically what the pre-2010 Submariner Date was in form-factor without the rotating bezel and crown guards.
Ohhh, thanks for that. Submariner Date is much better for me than sans date as I use that function (or, complication, as we say in the community) all the time.

Hey, I thought in a Jay-Z song he rapped about "rollies that don't tick-tock" or something. I took that to mean Rolexes have more of a sweeping second hand versus one that ticks from second to second. Guess I misunderstood the lyric. Maybe he meant Rolexes are quiet when they tick versus fake Rolexes that are loud?

Also, is there a ladies version of a Submariner? Like the 911 of watches for women? Thinking my wife could get one as well and pass that to our daughter one day.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #1731
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Datejust is nice, but less my style and I think I need the crown guards.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #1732
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ohhh, thanks for that. Submariner Date is much better for me than sans date as I use that function (or, complication, as we say in the community) all the time.

Hey, I thought in a Jay-Z song he rapped about "rollies that don't tick-tock" or something. I took that to mean Rolexes have more of a sweeping second hand versus one that ticks from second to second. Guess I misunderstood the lyric. Maybe he meant Rolexes are quiet when they tick versus fake Rolexes that are loud?

Also, is there a ladies version of a Submariner? Like the 911 of watches for women? Thinking my wife could get one as well and pass that to our daughter one day.
Modern Rolex movements run at 28,800 beats per hour, meaning the sweeping seconds hand will 'tick' 8 times per second. Most people think it is a perfectly smooth sweep, but it isn't. A Zenith El Primero runs at 36,000 bph (or 10 ticks per second).

Submariner comes in one size, 41mm -- not to be confused with the Sea-Dweller which is 43 mm (and 44mm for the SD DeepSea). Some women are totally fine with wearing a slightly larger watch, let the wife try one on. But the '911 Carrera watch' for women is probably the DateJust.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #1733
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsor_pilates View Post
nice watch and nice son!
Is it a 36 or 41mm?
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #1734
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Good luck trying to find a stainless steel sub from an AD though, I've been putting myself on lists for 5 years to the point where I feel like I don't want one anymore as the process Rolex makes drains the enthusiasm for the hobby.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #1735
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey UCB...not that everyone needs to see my Seiko 5 on every page, but this is my watch with a NATO strap. You'll probably recognize the style as they're fairly popular.

Also, how do you have no visible scares on your hands? How is that even possible.

Quote:
Old 10-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #1736
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Also, how do you have no visible scares on your hands? How is that even possible.
I'm a hand model. These babies are my golden ticket.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #1737
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a hand model. These babies are my golden ticket.
> rascal driving
> hand model

Do you also like to eat cured meat sandwiches and watch TV during sex?

Quote:
Old 10-21-2021, 05:21 PM   #1738
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is stupid folk lore started by rappers.
The whole real Rolex's don't tick thing is false. I guess Jay Z and co didn't actually have Rolexes when making these claims.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #1739
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Datejust is nice, but less my style and I think I need the crown guards.
You should look at the Explorer 2.
More sporty than a Datejust, and likely easier to aquire than a Sub.
Very classic design, go anywhere, do anything watches. Can get in white or black dials; has a 24 hour bezel and GMT function.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #1740
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the Explorer II black dial Ref. 16570. It's a great watch, but watch people really tend to obsess over the polar (white dial), and for good reason, it's a beaut.