Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If you want some really good stories and thoughts on Cena and on the Rock, read Jericho's latest book, which is actually a great read.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #82
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^

colesnotes???
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #83
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rock was awesome.

Cena's retort was lame.

It really showed the disparity between the last generation wrestlers who could actually work a mic and be larger than life. It's like these new guys have no imagination or flare.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #84
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
The Rock was awesome.

Cena's retort was lame.

It really showed the disparity between the last generation wrestlers who could actually work a mic and be larger than life. It's like these new guys have no imagination or flare.
That's not entirely fair. There's a reason the Rock was a huge crossover star, he was exceptional even when compared to the all time greats.

But yes, new wrestlers suck and John Cena is brutal.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #85
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
^^^^

colesnotes???
The Rock and Jericho got off to a pretty rough spot after Jericho first came to WWE and almost killed Rock with a chair shot, but Jericho later claimed that Rock was the best guy that he ever worked with. There are several hilarious stories with the best being the camera story.

In terms of Cena, Jericho asked to work with him and put him over before Cena became the Professor of Thuganomics. The WWE at that time really didn't like Cena and didn't see a future in him, Jericho did.

Whats interesting in the book were descriptions of the back stage politics, dealing with Chyna as his first major feud. The fact that the WWE hated his microphone work and ring work for a long time when he first worked there.

Some other really interesting things in the book were the chapters on Benoit, talking about trying to get Fozzy recognized, and the death of his mother.

Its not quite as hilarious as the first book, but its probably right up there with Mick Foley's first two books, and Bret Harts book in terms of exposing the business.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #86
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Now that, that was a promo!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #87
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I've been going back and watching some old promos, and it hurts.

BUTLER FOR STARTER!

Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #88
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't remember where I heard this, but I read that WWE didn't do much planning in terms of their promos during the Attitude era - they'd just tell the wrestler how much time he had and what they'd like him to talk about, and let his charisma fill in the rest. At some point in the last few years, they changed their process and now script every promo down to the last word.

Clearly, this presents an obvious problem - if the wrestlers could act to a script in an entertaining manner, they'd be in Hollywood and not wrestling. Whether WWE has the horses to let wrestlers ad-lib their promos without turning Raw and Smackdown into bigger gong-shows than they already are is another matter, but I think they'd be better off loosening the reins on their promos and seeing who on the roster has the charisma to warrant a push. Even the Rock would never have become as huge as he was if McMahon didn't let the man talk.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #89
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

I think the WWE doesn't want individual superstars like the Rock, because they can't control them. Appeal to their base with scripting, chase the appropriate talents, and keep a lid on how big their stars get.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #90
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Can't remember where I heard this, but I read that WWE didn't do much planning in terms of their promos during the Attitude era - they'd just tell the wrestler how much time he had and what they'd like him to talk about, and let his charisma fill in the rest. At some point in the last few years, they changed their process and now script every promo down to the last word.
Jericho mentioned this in his book, also Bret Hart in his book talks about his shyness in front of the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Clearly, this presents an obvious problem - if the wrestlers could act to a script in an entertaining manner, they'd be in Hollywood and not wrestling. Whether WWE has the horses to let wrestlers ad-lib their promos without turning Raw and Smackdown into bigger gong-shows than they already are is another matter, but I think they'd be better off loosening the reins on their promos and seeing who on the roster has the charisma to warrant a push. Even the Rock would never have become as huge as he was if McMahon didn't let the man talk.
Unfortunately at that level they don't want to take chances on what wrestlers are going to say.

http://www.ugo.com/sports/rvd-spinning-heel-miss
Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #91
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Rock and Jericho got off to a pretty rough spot after Jericho first came to WWE and almost killed Rock with a chair shot, but Jericho later claimed that Rock was the best guy that he ever worked with.
I still think one of the most hilarious segments ever was the one where Rock and Jericho were in the ring building interest for their title match during the WCW Invasion Angle and Stephanie McMahon came out to run down Jericho and then Jericho and the Rock basically had a "who can insult Stephanie the best" contest. Classic.

Quote:
The fact that the WWE hated his microphone work and ring work for a long time when he first worked there.
Don't really get why... Jericho has always been money on Promo's. As for his early WWE ringwork the only part it lacked was that he didn't have an impact (as opposed to submission) finisher, Lionsault needed too much setup. He fixed that his last run when he added the Codebreaker to his moveset.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #92
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I think it depends who you are. In Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast, CM Punk basically says he tosses any script he gets out. Basically he looks for any bullet points and then says whatever he wants to get them across.

His reasoning is basically two things:

1) he know his character better then anyone else
2) if he memorizes a script, then he's going to give the promo like he's memorized it...with alot of looking around trying to remember what to say.

I'm sure with some of the midcard guys, they're expected to go by the book, but once you hit long term main event status, you're given a free hand to be yourself
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #93
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post

Don't really get why...
Because he was a WCW product.

BUTLER FOR STARTER!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #94
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I still think one of the most hilarious segments ever was the one where Rock and Jericho were in the ring building interest for their title match during the WCW Invasion Angle and Stephanie McMahon came out to run down Jericho and then Jericho and the Rock basically had a "who can insult Stephanie the best" contest. Classic.
The whole Stephanie mini feud was pretty classic in its day and was some of his best work. When Jericho was in WCW he basically did whatever he wanted to build attention to himself, and that included the calling out Goldberg feud, and the creation of Ralphus. When he got to WWE it was way more structured and scripted, and thats where he fell down a bit.

Quote:
Don't really get why... Jericho has always been money on Promo's. As for his early WWE ringwork the only part it lacked was that he didn't have an impact (as opposed to submission) finisher, Lionsault needed too much setup. He fixed that his last run when he added the Codebreaker to his moveset.
In the book, he talked at length about his first promo against the Rock, and he stated that he didn't do a great job of coming across as a credible foil to the Rock, instead he came off as a whiny punk. He also didn't know how to play the politics of the WWE locker room and had a pretty high opinion of himself.

As for his wrestling style, he mainly fought Japanese or Mexican style so he was way too stiff in the ring and actually hurt people. He was put in a feud with Chyna (anyone remember that) and got put in the dog house after he gave her a black eye in the ring, and that was also bad because she was a member of the clique.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #95
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
In the book, he talked at length about his first promo against the Rock, and he stated that he didn't do a great job of coming across as a credible foil to the Rock, instead he came off as a whiny punk. He also didn't know how to play the politics of the WWE locker room and had a pretty high opinion of himself.
I think he's selling himself short on that front. I personally thought that he had one of the best debuts the companies ever done. I wonder how much is his own opinion and how much is muted because he may not want to burn bridges.

Quote:
As for his wrestling style, he mainly fought Japanese or Mexican style so he was way too stiff in the ring and actually hurt people. He was put in a feud with Chyna (anyone remember that) and got put in the dog house after he gave her a black eye in the ring, and that was also bad because she was a member of the clique.
Gotscha, I was thinking mostly as a spectator his work looked good but I can see the stiffness argument. I do remember the fued with Chyna, I pretty much figured that Jericho was in the doghouse back then because it was an inheriently crappy program to put him in. Didn't know that he had any heat with Hickenbottom, Levesque, Waltman et al... never would have guessed it actually considering that they generally put out 4star matches whenever the worked a program. Then again I was a dyed in the wool Jericholic back then so maybe that colored it for me.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #96
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I think he's selling himself short on that front. I personally thought that he had one of the best debuts the companies ever done. I wonder how much is his own opinion and how much is muted because he may not want to burn bridges.

While I agree the debut was good, the interaction with the Rock really lead to the Rock burying him and making him look whiny.

Edit -

just for you.

BUTLER FOR STARTER!

Last edited by Blaster86; 03-02-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Gotscha, I was thinking mostly as a spectator his work looked good but I can see the stiffness argument. I do remember the fued with Chyna, I pretty much figured that Jericho was in the doghouse back then because it was an inheriently crappy program to put him in. Didn't know that he had any heat with Hickenbottom, Levesque, Waltman et al... never would have guessed it actually considering that they generally put out 4star matches whenever the worked a program. Then again I was a dyed in the wool Jericholic back then so maybe that colored it for me.
He had immense heat with the clique to the point where he had to get X-Pac's approval for anything that he wanted to do in a match or a promo.

HHH called him out in front of the locker room .

And weirdly a very stoned Shawn Michaels told him that he wasn't smart.

All in all his first few months in the WWE were bad, but we didn't know it.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #98
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quite the Twitter war going on between Hogan and Bret Hart

Quote:
The war of words between WWE Hall of Famers Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan is heating up.

To recap, Bret Hart was asked by one of his Twitter followers on Wednesday night what he thought about Hulk Hogan. Hart tweeted:

"Hogan's nothing but a two-faced, backstabbing, steroid freak who deserved everything he got."

It didn't take long for Hulk Hogan to respond to those harsh words. Hogan tweeted on Thursday morning:

"Listen to where Bretts speaking from,it's funny he's done everything he's saying I did."

Bret Hart has responded to Hulk Hogan once again with the following:

"@HulkHogan4Real That's not what John Graziano thinks, dickhead."

As many know, John Graziano is the young man who was a passenger in Nick Hogan's car during Nick's August 2007 car wreck that left Graziano permanently brain damaged. Hulk Hogan was sued by the Graziano family and settled the lawsuit for an undisclosed amount of money last February.
http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/..._Graziano.html
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #99
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quite the Twitter war going on between Hogan and Bret Hart

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/..._Graziano.html
ROFL ... holy crap. Bret with the low blow.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #100
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I will say this, Cena having his PG collar taken off was huge for him. That was his best promo in three years. The Rock coming in and not abiding by the PG rules is another big thing. I know the WWE is trying to appeal to families and younger people, but for long time fans it's just a nice turn-around.

Would Austin have become popular in the current climate? The Rock? Mankind?

BUTLER FOR STARTER!