Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #221
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
What were the pranks on sunny and sable? For some reason I think I heard it involved feces?
going from memory, but one of Triple H or Shawn Michaels pooped in their purses or travel bags.

Sable threaten to sue and she did receive a settlement.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #222
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread's so much better than I thought it'd be. I haven't followed it in 10 years, but I used to be a diehard WWF fan all through the 90's. Figured this thread would just be about the Miz & other current wrestlers I know next to nothing about, but I just leafed through er & instead its been a fun trip down memory lane.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #223
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know Sainters, I'm not the biggest wrestling fan in the world anymore, but the whole thing just reminds me of the circus that would go from town to town to town.

Its such a carny thing, and that alone makes it unique.

Nobody will ever state that wrestling is a sport at all, but you can't deny that most of the performers are great athletes.

the acting may be horrible at times, but once in a while there's a story line that just grabs you (Archie Gouldie vs Bad News Allen), the Mega Powers breakup, the first few months of the NWO, and that makes it human drama.

The only thing thats missing is the circus tent, with Vince McMahon in the middle starting off with the old "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the big top, tonight you will see"
Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #224
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course pro wrestling is a sport! That's why its in the Other Sports sub-forum and the MMA one is in the Off Topic one. LOL
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #225
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to echo Sainters. I haven't been able to watch wrestling at all since about '05, but the nostalgic tone of the thread is fun to read.

in that vein, has anyone read Bruce Hart's book yet? I've heard mixed reviews so far.

- Frank Zappa
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #226
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
I have to echo Sainters. I haven't been able to watch wrestling at all since about '05, but the nostalgic tone of the thread is fun to read.

in that vein, has anyone read Bruce Hart's book yet? I've heard mixed reviews so far.
I flipped through it in Chapters while I was waiting to have coffee with the old man.

Its not as sordid as Diana Hart's book "beneath the Ring"

But its clear that Bruce has some serious problems with his brother Bret who recently tweeted that "Bruce was a pathetic liar"

He really glossed over the Bad News, Archie Gouldie storyline that ultimately eneded Stampede Wrestling.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #227
socalwingfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mick Foley's tribute to Edge

http://mickfoley.typepad.com/
Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #228
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He really glossed over the Bad News, Archie Gouldie storyline that ultimately eneded Stampede Wrestling.
Alright, can someone give me a brief explanation as to what happened here?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Alright, can someone give me a brief explanation as to what happened here?
Bruce Hart was desperate to take over Stampede Wrestling and he knew that the Company was failing, so he devised the idea for an ultimate feud

He set up a tag team with the villains being a team of Archie, Bad News Allen and Jeff Goudie (The Stomper's son, well not really but you know) against Sonny Two Rivers, Bret Hart and I think Davey Boy Smith.

Halfway through the matchup, Bad News jumps Goudie and then handcuffs him to the ring, he grabs Jeff Gouldie and pile drives him on the concrete floor. A for real riot happens, Bad News punches out a bunch of people and goes nuts.

After the match Bad News did one of the great heel promos of all time "Look at that man, I broke his neck, I hope the son of a b$tch dies" Goudlie came out and gave a incredible face promo swearing revenge.

Ed Whalen who was a mark at the best of times, and a little sick of Bruce Harts blood thirsty story lines quit on the spot. The boxing and wrestling commission bans stampede wrestling from the city of Calgary, so the blow off revenge match took place at an indian reserve out of town that nobody knew about or attended.

Stu Harts insurance lapsed and he shut it down.

I was in attendance that night, and it was crazy.

A couple of thing that were interesting, Jeff Gouldie was not Archies kid, he was a wrestler from Texas, after he was hauled away on a stretcher the hospitals were flooded by calls from freaked out fans trying to find out if he was ok.

I was there that night, and was caught up in the bedlam Bad News went absolutely beserk when he was attacked by a fan that was trying to protect Jeff Gouldie.

It was bloody and gory and nuts, and it killed Stampede Wrestling dead.

Here's a video

Most of the match is missing because Ed Whalen had a bad habit of shutting down the camera when things weren't to his liking, but you need to watch the mic work by Allen and Stomper as its something you'll never see again.

Stomper and Allen promote the match at an indian reserve

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 04-15-2011 at 01:47 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #230
socalwingfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome recap CC!! I wasn't there but attended Stampede Wrestling on many Friday nights. I still can't believe my parents let me and my friends head down to the Stampede Pavillion unattended while in Grade 6. Different times I guess!

I remember Ed Whalen announcing he quit Stampede on the news after that episode. I also remember Bad News using a fork on somebody - or was that a completely different incident?

My favorite from those days after Dynamite Kid, was Dr D - David Schultz - another great heel
Old 04-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #231
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

News used a fork on Bret Hart. There's an awesome scap on youtube between Bad News and Abdullah the butcher.

I was in attendance for two really historic nights in Stampede Wrestling, sorry three

1 the Bad News Stomper event from above, it was amazing how terrified the crowd was.
2 The breakup of the British Bulldogs, or course I cheered on a heel Dynamite Kid as he piledrove that limmey ####### Davey Boy Smith. Who knew that wrestling would reflect reality as by this time Davey Boy and Dynamite couldn't stand each other.
3 I was there the night that Chris Benoit won a match and a very drunk toothless Dynamite Kid stumbled down to the ring crying and put his boots around Benoits neck as the ultimate sign of respect. Who knew that both of those men would have tragic lives.

I've met several Stampede Wrestlers in the bar, with my favorite being the hilarious Mike Shaw. I had Bruce Hart substitute my grade 9 drama class and he was a complete a$$ clown who spent his time oggling my female class mates. I met Bad News and his son at Canadian Tire, my dad made me go up and introduce myself, I was like 10 at the time. He game me the glare of death and stormed off, as my dad was leaving with a very upset Captain, Bad News walked up without a word, slipped an autograph into my hand and ruffled my hair and then called my dad a beer bellied share cropper, it was awesome.

I talked to JR Foley when he was running for mayor, you could tell he wasn't long for this world.

And Duke Meyers cut in front of me at a 7-11 in Bonavista with a handfull of snacks and no wrist brace on, I was going to call him on it, but I was such a mark at the time.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #232
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking this thread slightly OT.

How many of you play Wrestler: Unstoppable on Facebook?

For those that don't know about it. It is a turn based wrestling game. It allows you to create a character, train that character, wrestle as that character, and trash talk as that character. You can join wrestling companies, compete in tournaments, and even start your own companies and tournaments.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #233
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Never even heard of it.

About 10 years ago there was a huge cyberwrestling community, they were either story based or smack based.

I joined one called the CWR for kicks, and used it as a writing excercise. Putting together elaberate role plays, then I booked some story lines that turned out to be pretty hilarious and innovative.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #234
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Never even heard of it.

About 10 years ago there was a huge cyberwrestling community, they were either story based or smack based.

I joined one called the CWR for kicks, and used it as a writing excercise. Putting together elaberate role plays, then I booked some story lines that turned out to be pretty hilarious and innovative.
I remember the cyberwrestling phenomenon, I used to be in a few leagues myself. For some reason, the character I created (I used the same one for multiple leagues) won two Brawl for All tournaments in two complete unrelated leagues. Thus was the defining moments of my cyberwrestling career haha . . .
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #235
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Never even heard of it.

E-Feds.

AWF 4 lyfe.

=-o

BUTLER FOR STARTER!

Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #236
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I remember the cyberwrestling phenomenon, I used to be in a few leagues myself. For some reason, the character I created (I used the same one for multiple leagues) won two Brawl for All tournaments in two complete unrelated leagues. Thus was the defining moments of my cyberwrestling career haha . . .
Yeah, I had one character for the most part, he won multiple World Titles in multuple federations, then he became an alcoholic drug addict, and ended up committing suicide in the middle of the ring of the worlds largest PPV.

He died clutching a signed picture of Hulk Hogan in his lap.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #237
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:
stocktonheat

Quote:
Yeah, I had one character for the most part, he won multiple World Titles in multuple federations, then he became an alcoholic drug addict, and ended up committing suicide in the middle of the ring of the worlds largest PPV.

He died clutching a signed picture of Hulk Hogan in his lap.

Sadly, this sounds like a plausible wrestling death.

- Frank Zappa
Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #238
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've met several Stampede Wrestlers in the bar, with my favorite being the hilarious Mike Shaw. I had Bruce Hart substitute my grade 9 drama class and he was a complete a$$ clown who spent his time oggling my female class mates. I met Bad News and his son at Canadian Tire, my dad made me go up and introduce myself, I was like 10 at the time. He game me the glare of death and stormed off, as my dad was leaving with a very upset Captain, Bad News walked up without a word, slipped an autograph into my hand and ruffled my hair and then called my dad a beer bellied share cropper, it was awesome.
this reminds me: in about '88 or '89 I went to a Stampede show in Lethbridge, with the main event being Owen Hart, Bruce Hart and Brian Pillman against Makhan Singh, The Great Gama and Jerry Morrow in a six-man, bunkhouse steel cage match (a 45 minute bloodbath which was the coolest thing I'd ever seen in my life up to then; everyone's covered in blood, there's teenage girls crying all over the arena...awesome!). I'd made a Makhan Singh doll earlier in the afternoon out of some old rags and some wool and was waving it at him all night, which got the crowd riled up, and he was playing along and yelling at me because of it. I'm waiting outside the arena afterwards for my mom to come get me, and Pillman and Bruce Hart are walking to their cars and go right past me, saying hello. Pillman stops, turns to me and says "hey, are you gonna let me have that doll?". I hand it to him and say "take it on TV for your promo next week and it's all yours". Well, the next Saturday afternoon I tune in, and there's Pillman with my doll, "describing it as the latest craze in the toy market". He goes further to describe it's usefullness, saying "you can punch it in the face after a bad day at work, look at it when you're depressed and realize you don't have it that bad", and the like. Needless to say a happy afternoon for the teenaged puppet. I've still got the promo on videotape in my basement somewheres.

- Frank Zappa
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #239
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Man, I really wish I was able to attend the Chikara King of Trios tournament this weekend. I was watching some Chikara stuff and it looks really intresting.

Smaller guys, totally over the top, and they don't take themselves too seriously
http://www.chikarapro.com/
Old 04-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #240
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don' think there was ever a better guy on the microphone than Mike Shaw. I would have loved for them to give him an announcer's job or manager job in the WWF instead of the ridiculous gimmicks they had for him. He was terrible in the ring - just a big fat guy - but his mike skills were outstanding.