Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #1681
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kyrgios combined record against the big three: 5 wins against 3 losses, and that might be 6-2 if not for the Miami crowd. He's an asshat to be sure, but he will win at least one major. His lack of mental strength is why he won't win several majors though.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #1682
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Kyrgios combined record against the big three: 5 wins against 3 losses, and that might be 6-2 if not for the Miami crowd. He's an asshat to be sure, but he will win at least one major. His lack of mental strength is why he won't win several majors though.
No he won't. The first time he drops a set in the final he will go into full tank mode.

Also it looks like all his wins against the big 3 were 3 setters. If it went to 5 sets I doubt he pulls it off.

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 08-23-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #1683
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'd make a friendly bet against this. a major requires two weeks of unbroken concentration, making sure you don't have any terrible days and hoping none of your seven opponents has an amazing day. to me Kyrgios will always be that lurking time bomb that can blow up a draw and take a big name down, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he could sustain it for a fortnight.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #1684
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vasek vs. Tommy Haas in Stowe, Vermont

https://twitter.com/SteveManney/stat...16144459329538
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #1685
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man child extraordinaire Andy Murray has three majors. So yeah I'll definitely take that bet. Kyrgios just needs his Lendl (like say....Lendl lol).
Old 08-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #1686
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alex Zverev will win a major before Nick Kyrgios, but I also think Kyrgios will win a major before he retires at the age of 28 in a racket smashing tirade.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #1687
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Alex Zverev will win a major before Nick Kyrgios, but I also think Kyrgios will win a major before he retires at the age of 28 in a racket smashing tirade.
The only way he would win is if his final 3 opponents get food poisoning or injured. He needs to work out a deal with Tomic's dad.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #1688
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Krygios is 13-1 to win next weeks US Open. With that wide open a field, that's not a bad bet.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #1689
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I'd make a friendly bet against this. a major requires two weeks of unbroken concentration, making sure you don't have any terrible days and hoping none of your seven opponents has an amazing day. to me Kyrgios will always be that lurking time bomb that can blow up a draw and take a big name down, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he could sustain it for a fortnight.
I liken him to someone like Safin, who was a total headcase, but once every couple years he would put together a run for the ages.

I think Kyrgios has all the tools already to win a major. All it takes is the stars aligning for him just once.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #1690
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad news in that Milos has withdrawn from the US Open. It's too bad he had injuries this year, could have been his year to win Wimbledon. Probably won't make the year end tour finals at this rate, hoping for a speedy recovery and want to see him smashing aces again soon!
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #1691
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ending the season early is going to be in vogue now with what Roger has done this year. But for Milos, he's in a pretty tricky spot trying to regain his ranking. He actually made two QFs and a R4 this year at the majors, so with him being in the mid teens or lower to start next year it might not be that easy to get back into the top 10. Denis could be Canada's number one a lot sooner than we thought.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #1692
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ending the season early is going to be in vogue now with what Roger has done this year. But for Milos, he's in a pretty tricky spot trying to regain his ranking. He actually made two QFs and a R4 this year at the majors, so with him being in the mid teens or lower to start next year it might not be that easy to get back into the top 10. Denis could be Canada's number one a lot sooner than we thought.
Most likely out of Davis Cup now as well, might be a good chance for the young guys to shine.

The 2018 Australian Open will have crazy seeding with Milos, Novak, Kei, maybe even Murray ranking in the 10-20 range
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #1693
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If he's able to get back on court at or near 100% he could still finish the year within the top 10. There's a few players that need to defend over 1000 points above him and many of the upcoming events this fall play to his strengths being fast hardcourt or indoor surfaces. Provided Milos is able to defend his points and pick up a few others I don't see him dropping too far.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 AM   #1694
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If Milos' wrist doesn't heal up, it might be Pospisil and Shapovalov we see in Edmonton.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #1695
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
If Milos' wrist doesn't heal up, it might be Pospisil and Shapovalov we see in Edmonton.
This initially disappointed me, but based on India's roster this does make the matchup much more intriguing from an entertainment perspective.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #1696
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah too bad none of these guys are the greatest tennis player who ever lived. I can see a lot of them struggling to regain their form when they come back from an extended layoff including Djokovic and Murray.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #1697
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

sweet, I didn't even realize they were trying this:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/...ng-game/68736/
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #1698
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Patty Schnyder? wow.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #1699
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Felix loses a tough one where he couldn't capitalize on a few set points early in the match. Tough competition for him in this one and overall a good showing considering his age and experience.

Denis showed a ton of composure after steamrolling Elias in set#1. Finding himself down a break late before coming back to steal the set and match. One more win will get him into the main draw of his second major of the season.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 08-24-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:56 PM   #1700
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Felix loses a tough one where he couldn't capitalize on a few set points early in the match. Tough competition for him in this one and overall a good showing considering his age and experience.

Denis showed a ton of composure after steamrolling Elias in set#1. Finding himself down a break late before coming back to steal the set and match. Hopefully he can keep it rolling. One more win will get him into the main draw of his second major of the season.
I wasn't watching Shapo's match (just following the set scores on-line), am I correct that he was down 5-2 in the second set and reeled off five straight games to take the match?