Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #361
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yes, well, thats impressive and all, but why is that man in the stands wearing a KFC bucket on his head?

This isnt the New Zealand equivalent of the Saskatchewan Roughriders is it?
Took me a while to find what you were talking about. I know KFC buckets have team logos during super rugby season since they're a big sponsor, so I guess that dude decided to wear his crusaders bucket? Definitely not a thing on the level of Saskatchewan watermelons or pilsner boxes.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:47 PM   #362
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Took me a while to find what you were talking about. I know KFC buckets have team logos during super rugby season since they're a big sponsor, so I guess that dude decided to wear his crusaders bucket? Definitely not a thing on the level of Saskatchewan watermelons or pilsner boxes.
Nothing is. Nothing is.....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:30 AM   #363
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Took me a while too. KFC bucket heads became an Australian cricket thing after years of sponsorship. Looks like it has now infiltrated Kiwi Rugby.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:00 AM   #364
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Rugby League news, the Toronto Wolfpack experiment in the English 3rd tier league has so far been a resounding success. With their win yesterday they are 9-0 having outscored their opponents 538-85 and are on track for promotion. Also, the crowds have been pretty good, averaging almost 7,000 per game.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2017/...try-bears.html
Old 06-04-2017, 05:27 AM   #365
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
In Rugby League news, the Toronto Wolfpack experiment in the English 3rd tier league has so far been a resounding success. With their win yesterday they are 9-0 having outscored their opponents 538-85 and are on track for promotion. Also, the crowds have been pretty good, averaging almost 7,000 per game.

Sounds like a classic case of deep pocketed owners buying a lower division team and then outstanding their competitors in order to quickly climb the promotion ladder.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #366
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Have you seen any of the games?

The product us horrible. I watched it with a buddy the other week and we laughed non-stop. There was no speed onto the ball, no line speed in D (which Mongos are known for), the skill level was appalling.

All that being said, good for them. This is a black mark on Rugby Canada. The level of play by the Blues/Bears/Rock/Wolfpack (two rugby teams same name? I'll get to that) is far superior. Hell Div 1 games in Calgary have a higher skill level than this garbage.

I am baffled that they can use the Wolfpack name, I mean Shirley someone at RC or AR thought to trademark the names of teams.....oh wait....

It is sad that there are 7000 people in Canada thinking this is good sport.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #367
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Have you seen any of the games?

The product us horrible. I watched it with a buddy the other week and we laughed non-stop. There was no speed onto the ball, no line speed in D (which Mongos are known for), the skill level was appalling.

All that being said, good for them. This is a black mark on Rugby Canada. The level of play by the Blues/Bears/Rock/Wolfpack (two rugby teams same name? I'll get to that) is far superior. Hell Div 1 games in Calgary have a higher skill level than this garbage.

I am baffled that they can use the Wolfpack name, I mean Shirley someone at RC or AR thought to trademark the names of teams.....oh wait....

It is sad that there are 7000 people in Canada thinking this is good sport.
You are excellent at taking positive news and turning it into a negative. I get that you don't like League but having watched the highlights on YouTube it is far from horrible, it is about what you would expect from a third tier comp. Also looking at the roster Toronto has put together a decent team including 10 year NRL veteran FuiFui MoiMoi.

It is great news there are 7000 Canadians getting into rugby. It is sad news the men's Union team can't even come close to those crowds.

Also I noticed they got a mention on CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/rugby/toron...onds-1.4146964
Old 06-07-2017, 04:50 AM   #368
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Lions have lost to the Blues 22-16. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in their first game however an uninspiring loss to the worst Kiwi Super Rugby team is not a good sign.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #369
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are excellent at taking positive news and turning it into a negative. I get that you don't like League but having watched the highlights on YouTube it is far from horrible, it is about what you would expect from a third tier comp. Also looking at the roster Toronto has put together a decent team including 10 year NRL veteran FuiFui MoiMoi.

It is great news there are 7000 Canadians getting into rugby. It is sad news the men's Union team can't even come close to those crowds.

I fully believe that this is a negative for Rugby Canada. How many years have they been trying to get games broadcast on a regular basis? I can remember playing in a game years ago that was broadcast by Shaw (my buddy's dad did the commentating). Other than Olympic 7's there has been no penetration by RC into the National television audience. There Ontario Blues have been playing and winning CRC Championships for the past few years with minimal notice in Ontario. This is a loss and a negative for Union in Canada.

Speaking to the level of play again, it is well horrible. I grant you I only watched one game (it was the game they played on the May long) but it really was a poor quality on display. FuiFui MoiMoi is 36 years old. I can remember when Jerry Collins and Trevor Leota were playing rugby in Alberta. Great players, but shadows of their former selves (for different reasons). The CRC has full time current National Team players playing in the comp.

While I am not a big fan of League I have watched it plenty live and in TV. The product on display was poor.

Quote:
Old 06-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #370
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Lions have lost to the Blues 22-16. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in their first game however an uninspiring loss to the worst Kiwi Super Rugby team is not a good sign.
Yup could be a disastrous tour for them.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #371
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That made me lol! I hadn't looked at it before, but it does seem true. Sevens comes along, the Canadian women medal and mens team seems to find its footing internationally....UCB hates it because its not pure enough or just too different. This Toronto squad gets 7000 fans out and that's bad news because it's not great quality.

I don't know. I may or may not make the Canada/Georgia game at CRU, but it's full international rugby, should be a competitive game of 15's and I don't think that 7000 will turn up for that?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #372
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That made me lol! I hadn't looked at it before, but it does seem true. Sevens comes along, the Canadian women medal and mens team seems to find its footing internationally....UCB hates it because its not pure enough or just too different. This Toronto squad gets 7000 fans out and that's bad news because it's not great quality.

I don't know. I may or may not make the Canada/Georgia game at CRU, but it's full international rugby, should be a competitive game of 15's and I don't think that 7000 will turn up for that?
That is exactly why I view this as a negative.

Our national ####ing team can't draw 7000 fans, yet third rate League can. Rugby Canada should be ashamed of themselves. Beyond a blip for Olympic 7's Canadian Rugby is invisible, both men's and women's.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #373
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone go to the Canada Georgia game? I saw Canada lost 13-0 which doesn't look like a great performance or advertisement for the game.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #374
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did anyone go to the Canada Georgia game? I saw Canada lost 13-0 which doesn't look like a great performance or advertisement for the game.
It was pouring rain here, so that definitely didn't help. I didn't go though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #375
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
I was there, was miserable weather which really played a part in the crowd size and quality of play. I was surprised how many people were there in that weather, although the crowd really thinned out for the 2nd half.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #376
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I was there, was miserable weather which really played a part in the crowd size and quality of play. I was surprised how many people were there in that weather, although the crowd really thinned out for the 2nd half.
My wife and daughter went, they lasted until half time. It wasn't so much the cold as the wet and wind that finally drove them to leave - they were absolutely soaked despite dressing in full rain gear and then some.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #377
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I heard something about the weather in Calgary not being great over the weekend. That's too bad it ruined one of the few international rugby games the city gets but I guess you run that risk having an outdoor game in a month not named July or August.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 AM   #378
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow the All Blacks just beat Samoa 78-0. It's not looking good for the Lions who are having trouble beating the Super Rugby teams.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #379
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow the All Blacks just beat Samoa 78-0. It's not looking good for the Lions who are having trouble beating the Super Rugby teams.

I really struggle to think of another pro team or national team that has displayed the same level of dominance, in any team sport.

Samoa while small, is but by no means a minnow (a strong tier 2 nation IMO) in rugby. That type of score use to be reserved for the tier 3 nations of the world.

The current AB's must be the greatest team to have ever played the game. While there are great players from bygone eras there has never been a team (in any sport) that has had such a great sum of it's parts.

Simply amazing.

At this point Lions will be lucky to not get 50 on them.

Quote:
Old 06-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #380
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, the Lions woke up for long enough to beat the Maori All Blacks (basically the all blacks b-team, I mean honestly how Maori is Damian Mckenzie) so they still have some hope. There are so many lions supporters around right now it's crazy.