Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #121
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Yep there's talk that they may pull Napier's ODI against South Africa in march. Apparently the pitch has some serious drainage issues and this has happened twice before in recent years so Napier may be done as a cricket venue for a while. Don't worry, the next game is at Seddon Park in Hamilton which is a proper round cricket oval, and the forecast is for sun and high of 28 on sunday!
I wasn't really that upset but can't miss an opportunity to rip on New Zealand. I'd also take Oz being as progressive as NZ in a heartbeat over having superior cricket grounds.

I'll definitely watch some of the final ODI but to be honest one dayers are my least favourite form of cricket and I seem to be losing more intrest in them every year. I wouldn't lose any sleep if they slowly went away and we got to see more Tests and T20s.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 03-01-2017 at 03:56 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #122
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

And it's a series sweep for the kiwis. Shame the aussies didn't bring their full squad though.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #123
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And it's a series sweep for the kiwis. Shame the aussies didn't bring their full squad though.
Yeah it was the Aussie B team with their 4th choice captain. The Australians play a ton of ODI cricket though so I can't say I blame them for giving some key players a break.

So it looks like major changes at the ICC that will remove power from the big 3 (India, England and Australia). This is much needed. A few interesting points include a new financial system with more equitable distribution and the possibility of Ireland and Afghanistan becoming test nations. There is also a great proposal to change the international scheduling and championship structure:

-Nine-team Test league run over a two year cycle
-Remaining three Test teams to be guaranteed a consistent and confirmed schedule of Test matches against all other teams
-13 team ODI league run over a three year period leading into qualification for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023
-Regional T20 competition structure to be developed as a pathway to qualification for the ICC World T20

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/323637
Old 02-25-2017, 04:30 AM   #124
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Aussies have absolutely smashed India in the first match of their 4 test tour winning by 333 before the end of the 3rd day! This was a very surprising result as Australia is a distant 2nd in the test rankings, hadn't won in India in over 12 years, and India was on a 20 match home unbeaten streak. They were led by Steve O’Keefe who posted an amazing 12-70 which was the greatest ever performance by a visiting spinner on the sub-continent. India could not get anything going posting 105 in the first innings and 107 in the second.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 02-25-2017 at 04:33 AM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:02 PM   #125
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The Aussies have absolutely smashed India in the first match of their 4 test tour winning by 333 before the end of the 3rd day! This was a very surprising result as Australia is a distant 2nd in the test rankings, hadn't won in India in over 12 years, and India was on a 20 match home unbeaten streak. They were led by Steve O’Keefe who posted an amazing 12-70 which was the greatest ever performance by a visiting spinner on the sub-continent. India could not get anything going posting 105 in the first innings and 107 in the second.
Shocking result to say the least - I guess Australia have validated their strategy of resting so many key players for the New Zealand and Sri Lanka series. I just hired a dude from India and the sessions are on all through the night here. He was really excited after the first day where they got Australia something like 210/9, but has been more and more upset ever since.

Meanwhile, South Africa's tour of New Zealand has produced two laughers and two really great close games. The T20 was pretty much a walkover for them, then the first two ODIs were decided in the final over with SA winning the first and NZ taking the second. Then yesterday it was a slaughter in Wellington, a 159 run defeat. Martin Guptill will be a godsend on wednesday when he returns from injury.

And I just found out that our local ground here in Queenstown is currently undergoing upgrades with the aim to host international matches next summer, so I could be getting some live cricket right in my backyard! Stoked!
Old 02-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #126
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I just found out that our local ground here in Queenstown is currently undergoing upgrades with the aim to host international matches next summer, so I could be getting some live cricket right in my backyard! Stoked!
I just google imaged Queenstown cricket ground. That might be the most gorgeous cricket stadium in the world.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 PM   #127
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just google imaged Queenstown cricket ground. That might be the most gorgeous cricket stadium in the world.
Yeah the backdrop's not bad. I have a membership at the events centre so that's where I go to work out
Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #128
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

I know I am late but that was a pathetic performance by India. Over confidence killed them in the Test.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #129
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
I know I am late but that was a pathetic performance by India. Over confidence killed them in the Test.
It was even more pathetic when you consider the match was played on a cracked dusty "eighth day" wicket that should have given India an advantage. It looks like the curators at Bangalore are pulling out all the stops to make sure this doesn't happen again:

India take metal objects to Bangalore pitch for second Test after Pune minefield blew up in their faces

Quote:
Australia is bracing for a war of attrition in Bangalore after paranoid curators used a metal object, hessian bags, hoses and a mystery substance to try to take Mitchell Starc and Steve O’Keefe out of the second Test.

Embarrassed after the debacle in Pune, the BCCI appear hell bent on using any means necessary to manufacture conditions that will set up a brutal five-day battle in the hope it will favour the innate skills and home ground knowledge of the embattled Indians.

In contrast to the crumbly, dust bowl that disintegrated on the spot and played into Australia’s hands in the first Test, the Bangalore centre square looked more like a green monster, but not one that will offer bounce and carry. Instead, it’s a surface purposefully designed to try to silence reverse swing masters Starc and Josh Hazlewood.
I know home field advantage is a thing and the Australian crickets grounds are made purposefully hard and fast to help their bowlers, but the Indian doctoring of the pitches is completely ridiculous and OTT.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 PM   #130
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

India bounce back with a 75 run victory in the second test. I haven't seen many highlights yet but apparently the DRS came into play several times in the second innings.

And after a 3-2 ODI series win for SA, the first test is now underway in Dunedin. I expect this will be an innings+ victory for South Africa, anything better than that will be a nice surprise. SA stumbled out of the gate at 22/3 but then buckled down with some big partnerships to finish the day at 229/4.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:32 AM   #131
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
India bounce back with a 75 run victory in the second test. I haven't seen many highlights yet but apparently the DRS came into play several times in the second innings.
It was a tough loss for the Aussies who had an 87 run first inning league and were left a reasonable total of 187 to chase. DRS definitely came into play a few times. India had been shocking at their reviews and is still getting used to using the system but finally got one right.

The real DRS drama though was between the two captains, Smith and Kohli. Smith was caught technically cheating by looking towards the dressing room while deciding whether to review his dismissal. Smith described it as a brain cramp, while Kohli went on a rant accusing the Aussies of systematically cheating with the DRS by having a player in the dressing room watch the replays and signal to the batsman. In any case this has the potential to blow up and there may be an investigation which could result in major issues for Australia if they were cheating or Kohli if his accusations are found to be baseless.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #132
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

is there ever an India-Australia series without one captain call the other one a cheat?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #133
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
is there ever an India-Australia series without one captain call the other one a cheat?
Technically he didn't use the word "cheat" but yeah, it seems to be the norm in these series now.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #134
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The third test between India and Australia ends in a draw. There was a worry the wicket in Ranchi would be even worse than the first two tests however it was very batter friendly with India answering the Australian first innings of 451 with a 603. The series is still tied at 1 and will be decided in the final match in Dharamsala.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #135
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The third test between India and Australia ends in a draw. There was a worry the wicket in Ranchi would be even worse than the first two tests however it was very batter friendly with India answering the Australian first innings of 451 with a 603. The series is still tied at 1 and will be decided in the final match in Dharamsala.
Great defense by the aussies though, in batting the day out.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #136
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Aussies were in full defense mode but a good test nonetheless.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #137
DJ_NAV
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Excited for tonight!!
DJ_NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #138
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

India has won the last test by 8 wickets taking the series with Australia 2-1. The Aussies were in good position starting the 2nd innings but collapsed to 137 lead by David Warner who put up a 6 to end his disastrous tour.

Losing 2-1 is still an okay result for Australia as they were expected to lose 4-0 however they will be ruing their lost opportunities in the last three matches which could have gone either way.

I also learned some new cricket terminology. Kuldeep Yadav was making his debut for India and his left handed unorthodox spin bowling is called a Chinaman. My reaction when hearing first hearing the commentators describe it:

Spoiler!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 AM   #139
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rain ruins a great test up in Hamilton. New Zealand had South Africa on the ropes at 80/5 in their second innings and a lead of over 100, but the last day was disappointingly washed out. But on a positive note, Kane Williamson scored 176 to make his 17th test century, which ties Martin Crowe for the most centuries by any New Zealand player, and also passed 5000 test runs, the youngest NZer to do so. Kane is only 26 years old! Barring significant injuries, he will own every NZ batting record by the time his career is over.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:50 AM   #140
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rain ruins a great test up in Hamilton. New Zealand had South Africa on the ropes at 80/5 in their second innings and a lead of over 100, but the last day was disappointingly washed out. But on a positive note, Kane Williamson scored 176 to make his 17th test century, which ties Martin Crowe for the most centuries by any New Zealand player, and also passed 5000 test runs, the youngest NZer to do so. Kane is only 26 years old! Barring significant injuries, he will own every NZ batting record by the time his career is over.
The rain in Hamilton also cost Australia 2nd in the test rankings with the draw being enough for South Africa to take their place.