Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 PM   #21
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this year's edition would have beat many of the AHL teams with their performance in this post season.

They would have been destroyed by SJ in round 2.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 PM   #22
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the teams not built for the playoffs, not enough guys that are willing to sacrifice everything it takes to win. Scoring titles are nice but we need character guys that have no problem blocking shots or doing whatever it takes to win in post season.

I think if we did fare better against the Sharks the refs probably would have put a nail in the coffin!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #23
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was just thinking that for all the talk that has been about this year being an "easy" year to make it to the finals through the Western Conference, a road consisting of Colorado, San Jose and then St. Louis in the Conference finals does not feel any easier than any other year really. These are good teams, and both San Jose and St. Louis seem to be on a mission. To beat any of them, the Flames would have to be on a mission too, which we certainly weren't these playoffs.
crapshoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question should really be if the Flames played the Sharks in round 1, would they have advanced? I would say certainly not based on what we have seen on the ice in this playoffs.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:57 PM   #25
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They walked off a cliff in their compete level at the most important time of the year.

Don't know how you can take the division from SJ in their building then forget the things you did to do that two weeks later.

They have it in them clearly, but the GAF meter simply wasn't high enough. That said we seem to get a different team based on who they're playing. Maybe they would've actually got up for SJ? Maybe not. Who knows. I can't seem to get a read on this team and core and what makes them tick. It's a mystery.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:01 AM   #26
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Flames would have been swept in four, which is not much worse than how they fared in round 1.

Well, I for one did feel a whole lot of positivity and happiness after that first win agains the Avs, where it looked like we could actually do this. It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but it sure beats being swept.
crapshoot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #27
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Well, the point of the question is that a different Flames team showed up and beat Colorado. Or at least I think that's the point.
Well that's a strange question than. You'd have to define this different, fictional Flames team before it can be answered.

This years actual Flames team loses to SJ in 4 or 5.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:13 AM   #28
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Well, the point of the question is that a different Flames team showed up and beat Colorado. Or at least I think that's the point.
Well then if that’s the case and we’re asking “what if the Flames showed up in the playoffs” then the answer is obviously yes they would beat San Jose and likely win the Stanley Cup given how Tampa fizzled out.

But unfortunately they didn’t show up so we’ll never know. I still say no though. Even if they managed to beat Colorado they wouldn’t have beat the Sharks. They just didn’t have it this year.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Well then if that’s the case and we’re asking “what if the Flames showed up in the playoffs” then the answer is obviously yes they would beat San Jose and likely win the Stanley Cup given how Tampa fizzled out.

But unfortunately they didn’t show up so we’ll never know. I still say no though. Even if they managed to beat Colorado they wouldn’t have beat the Sharks. They just didn’t have it this year.
You never know though. I've seen some teams that looked bad in round one, but squeaked through and then dominated the rest of the way. I've seen teams that looked unstoppable in round one that then looked like they forgot to play in round two. And it was pretty incomprehensible as to why it happened.

The Flames in 1989 didn't look very good against Vancouver. But they got through due to Otto's skate and they sure looked great from then on.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #30
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Flames sweep the Sharks. No question.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #31
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've lately been viewing Round 1 a lot like something GOT fans can relate to:

A mix of not taking teams seriously, and facing teams that were already in the groove led to an early exit from a lot of confident teams.

From Round 2 onwards you assume everyone there is 'feeling it', and depending on how your bracket looked... I think the 'better' team won 3/4 of their series'. It'll be interesting to see if this BOS/CAR series is a good one, or if Boston makes short work of them. CBJ gave them a good run in a few games there, and Carolina suddenly finds themselves the 'cold' team.

It'll be interesting to see if the 2019 Round 1 is a learning lesson... or as it seemed early: a reason for re-thinking things.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #32
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Christ. Some people need to just let it go.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #33
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Christ. Some people need to just let it go.
Let what go?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #34
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

It?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #35
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know how we even entertain the thought of a hypothetical win after getting crushed in 5 games. Maybe if we had lost a close battle in 7 we could ask the question. The 2019 Flames got run over by the mighty Avalanche. They'd beat no one.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #36
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think it's more on the assumption that this team didn't fulfill their potential.

If they had, how would they have fared against the Sharks?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #37
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Well that's a strange question than. You'd have to define this different, fictional Flames team before it can be answered.

This years actual Flames team loses to SJ in 4 or 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

I agree it's a strange question to ask. Don't know why the OP felt the need to create an alternate universe and then make predictions of outcomes there. Last thing we needed, in my opinion, is another thread to discuss how ####ty the Flames played.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #38
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

These playoffs are rigged regardless of how small the Flames have played in the past couple of playoffs. If the Flames played the Sharks in the first round, I think the Flames could've beaten the Sharks in 6 games. In round 2, Flames would've been gone in 5 - guaranteed.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sometimes the first round is the hardest or most unpredictable. After that, the better teams normally play to their capabilities?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #40
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This year, the NHL has been filled with craziness and unfortunately the Flames were among them as the 4 division winners lost in the first round.

One of the 4 teams still standing were last in the standings on January 2nd.
What about the Sharks and Martin Jones and his putrid GAA in the season?
Avs had lost 18 out of 23 in one stretch.
Fleury gives up 4 goals in what 10 minutes?? Normally he gives that in a 2 week period!
Blake Fn Comeau was one of the most dynamic Stars players on game 7!
The jerks are in the final four but yet I wouldn't trade their roster against the Flames.

Yes it was sad to lose in 5 but watching the 82 games before that was entertaining as hell.

Maybe next year they'll just go through the motions in the regular season and then just rev it up in the p/o.

These are all NHL players who had to fight through numerous challenges to make it to the big league so I have a hard time to buy in to this "they don't have it in them"

ebbs and flows man, ebbs and flows.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post: