Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #2181
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a reason domestic/int'l are separated. The new terminal's perceived inefficiencies all stem from the separation of int'l, domestic and transborder pax. When you consider how logistically difficult it is to incorporate swing gates into this concept, the reason for the walking distances becomes clear. It's still not perfect, but it's not as awful given the massive hurdle.

Ozy has conveniently not mentioned that a third of YEG's terminal north of central is horrific and remains renovated, a far worse aesthetic than anything on any concourse here. "Third world" one might call it, since that's a thing now.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #2182
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Ozy has conveniently not mentioned that a third of YEG's terminal north of central is horrific and remains renovated, a far worse aesthetic than anything on any concourse here. "Third world" one might call it, since that's a thing now.
Nah. Low volume times at YEG are great, can get through fast and conveniently. Will do it over and over again because I know where to go, what to expect, and how to time it all. Fantastic experience. Not really concerned about aesthetics when I'm in a hurry, although I do enjoy the space and room of the main terminal leg.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #2183
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well yeah that's how low volume airports work, things move quickly. The problem is that if if you want to fly anywhere, you have to connect here... hence 20 flights a day between YEG and YYC with over 90% of pax connecting. That's the tradeoff.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #2184
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Well yeah that's how low volume airports work, things move quickly. The problem is that if if you want to fly anywhere, you have to connect here... hence 20 flights a day between YEG and YYC with over 90% of pax connecting. That's the tradeoff.
I'm not sure what you're arguing, why can't I enjoy YEG's low volume times better? literally 1.5-2 minutes to get through from front doors to gate. It's fast and easy. I don't really know what else I can tell you.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #2185
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no argument, merely the acknowledgement that nonstop destinations from YEG are limited so it's not always an option. If I still lived in YEG I would indeed prefer to fly from YEG if a nonstop to my required destination was available.

And also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
For a reasonably big YEG is the fastest airport to get through, hands-down. Sometimes even faster than the NEXUS line. I also like the terminal a bit better; more natural light, much higher ceilings, and a feeling of openness. The domestic terminal in YYC is . . . not that.
This is not really correct, the domestic side is anything north of gate 49 at YEG with no natural light and vomit stained carpet... it is abysmal.

Last edited by Acey; 04-20-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #2186
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Due to the ongoing 737 MAX grounding Air Canada has suspended the YYC-London, ON flight that was planned for this summer.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...7-MAX-Aircraft
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #2187
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Travelling to Singapore through San Francisco. I've never transited through the US before. Do I still need to clear customs here in Calgary (I assume I do)? Will my bags be checked through or do I have to pick them up in SFO and check them again?
Thanks
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #2188
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Travelling to Singapore through San Francisco. I've never transited through the US before. Do I still need to clear customs here in Calgary (I assume I do)? Will my bags be checked through or do I have to pick them up in SFO and check them again?
Thanks

You will go through US Customs here in Calgary (if your first flight is YYC-SFO). Not too sure on your bags, pretty good chance they will connect through to your final destination without you needing to get them in SFO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #2189
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah it's easier going out through the US than coming back. On the way back you have to do the whole us customs thing, pick up your bag etc.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #2190
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Yeah it's easier going out through the US than coming back. On the way back you have to do the whole us customs thing, pick up your bag etc.
I think it depends on the flights. I flew from Quito (Ecuador) back to Calgary via Dallas and did not have to pick up my bag. I thought I did and waited around a long time for it not to arrive, before being told by someone at the airport that the Calgary bags were directly transferred. I did have to go through customs.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #2191
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks

We went to Tokyo through SFO. We didn’t have to pick up the bags in SFO on the way there, but we did on the return flight.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #2192
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks
First, enjoy the trip and the Singapore heat. If you are on Singapore Airlines (SA) the experience is really good. It was worth it to book the exit row seat (row 47 if memory serves) for the long flight. The flight crews both ways were excellent.

To your baggage question, assuming you are booked under a single ticket or single carrier group your bags will go through to Singapore. For example if you are flying Air Canada/United (AC/UA) to SFO then the SA/UA flight they will go through. If you booked a WestJet flight to SFO and then the SA/UA flight you’ll need to pick them up. The gate agent here will tell you.

On your way back through SFO you will need to collect your bags and then once you are through Agriculture control there is a connecting baggage belt. There is an agent at the belt who will tell you if you are good to drop your bag there or if you need to recheck. We’ve been through twice since December, both times on AC flights and the first time he had us go and recheck at the AC desk and the second time we just dropped our bags at the belt and went on. For the most part it is all really well sign posted and organized just follow the connecting passengers signs. If all else fails anyone working there will know what to do and where you should go.

Edit: International arrival info/procedure for SFO https://www.flysfo.com/flight-info/international

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 05-04-2019 at 09:49 AM.
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #2193
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Video of WestJet's inaugural YYC-CDG flight on the 17th:

The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #2194
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting they departed off 17R.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #2195
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:48 AM   #2196
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Federal committee recommends study to shift Calgary airport flight paths to reduce noise impact

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...FFCyvsqio89E-k

Quote:
Among the 16 recommendations committee members made to the federal government was one specifically related to Calgary’s airport, asking Transport Canada and Nav Canada to study potentially shifting the west side approach to the new runway outside the city’s western boundary to reduce the effect on denser populations.

Quote:
The federal report found that some 72 per cent of all complaints made in Calgary in 2017 came from five callers, with two individuals complaining more than 2,700 times between them.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #2197
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Federal committee recommends study to shift Calgary airport flight paths to reduce noise impact
For crying out loud. I live on the west side of Calgary and you barely hear them. Most jets are in flight idle or close to it when they are passing overhead. I'm not sure what more people expect. There's practically no noise now as it is. Especially compared to the days prior to the parallel runway opening.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #2198
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the same time, shifting the 17R downwind a mile and a half to the west is not remotely difficult nor have any impact on efficiency. Yeah that dude that calls 10,000 times a year is an idiot, but there's a lot of stupid decisions that have been made in regard to noise. WestJet uses full reverse on a 14,000 foot runway at 1 am for no reason whatsoever and nobody cares.

YYC has made zero reasonable effort to mitigate noise. Just saying.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #2199
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet 787 announcement here in Calgary on Wednesday:

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-10...qocmN4dM0syqqk

New routes from YYC? Converting their option for 10 more frames to a firm order?

If new routes where would you like to see them go? Do they try for Asia or add some more Europe from Calgary? Or throw a real curve and go to South America?
Old 10-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #2200
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I don't know about the West side of the city, but I was considering purchasing a house in Inglewood and walked away from it after visiting the house in the evening. I'm okay with living near a flight path but this one was literally *right* underneath the flight path and the noise in the evening was unbelievable. I couldn't imagine living through that.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc