Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #41
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Have you tried experimenting with psychedelics?

Yes. Unfortunately, it's not really a viable long term solution.
GoinAllTheWay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #42
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had one of those bizarre video prescreening interviews the other day which basically went comically bad (where you get presented with questions and have some time to answer via video with no chance for re-recording). It kept flipping back to portrait mode over and over which I had a hard time getting back to landscape and then an alarm went off on my phone which auto skipped a question as I was answering (thought I had turned off all notifications, guess not). Felt like a fool and was really embarrassed.

Then I reminded myself that I've got a lot of great things going for me and that little flub is a nothing event in the long run. I need to remind myself that these little day to day aggravations aren't worth dwelling on at all.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I had one of those bizarre video prescreening interviews the other day which basically went comically bad (where you get presented with questions and have some time to answer via video with no chance for re-recording). It kept flipping back to portrait mode over and over which I had a hard time getting back to landscape and then an alarm went off on my phone which auto skipped a question as I was answering (thought I had turned off all notifications, guess not). Felt like a fool and was really embarrassed.

Then I reminded myself that I've got a lot of great things going for me and that little flub is a nothing event in the long run. I need to remind myself that these little day to day aggravations aren't worth dwelling on at all.
My son had to do one of those a while ago and it was hysterically bad. Me laughing in the background like a lunatic must have helped because he got the job.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #44
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
My son had to do one of those a while ago and it was hysterically bad. Me laughing in the background like a lunatic must have helped because he got the job.
I've never come across one of these before actually. This is a pretty senior position which made the situation even stranger. Spent hours trying to prep my house for filming, framing the shot, preparing responses for questions that might pop up, read about what these video interviews are like and then.... my morning alarm went off and everything went to pot anyway lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #45
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last few months have been great.

Wife and I moved into a new house in the Neighborhood we wanted. Things have been great at work, my wife got a promotion.

But best of all, we are picking up our puppy on friday!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #46
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I've never come across one of these before actually. This is a pretty senior position which made the situation even stranger. Spent hours trying to prep my house for filming, framing the shot, preparing responses for questions that might pop up, read about what these video interviews are like and then.... my morning alarm went off and everything went to pot anyway lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Companies that hire this way should be shot into the sun. I've only experienced this once, and it was far more nerve wracking than any in-person or phone interview I have ever done.

If you're hiring based on the quality of videoed timed responses to surprise questions then I don't think I really want to work for you.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #47
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Wife and I moved into a new house in the Neighborhood we wanted. Things have been great at work, my wife got a promotion.

That's a solid run! Especially the last part. Plz post in the pets thread
GoinAllTheWay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #48
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Companies that hire this way should be shot into the sun. I've only experienced this once, and it was far more nerve wracking than any in-person or phone interview I have ever done.

If you're hiring based on the quality of videoed timed responses to surprise questions then I don't think I really want to work for you.
The only time I've had to do that was when applying for doctoral studies and the fact that they were using that kind of interview for that level of program really just made me feel like I didn't want to work with them. Seemed to be their approach though as the rest of their application process was so full of impersonal bureaucratic bs that I eventually told them I didn't care anymore and walked away. I do a lot of interviewing and hiring in my job and I know that systematized interviews have many benefits, but beyond prescreening there needs to be some opportunity for real communication to assess whether or not this is a long-term relationship you actually want to enter into.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #49
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
When you started posting at CP a couple of years ago, I honestly thought you were another re-incarnation of puckluck, for which I sincerely apologize now. You seem like a nice, enthusiastic kid who likes Flames hockey and, judging by what others are saying, about 19-20 years old? If that's correct, then my youngest is older than you, so, please don't take it the wrong way when I say this: why are you wasting time talking about the meaning of life with a bunch of avatars, man??? Go out, make some real friends, play sports, volunteer! Seriously, it's much more rewarding! This shoudln't be a real life here; just a hockey chat.

The amount of time and effort some people spend here talking about absolutely meaningless crap is really troubling. Not because it's meaningless, but because they have the time and desire to do so, instead of doing something real...
Hey man, don’t knock it. I’m trying to make a life in here. Especially now that my Second Life character died of boredom.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #50
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Hey man, don’t knock it. I’m trying to make a life in here. Especially now that my Second Life character died of boredom.
Help is available.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #51
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Help is available.
Save it for Festivus.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #52
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #53
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm doing pretty well. I'm finally on some meds that are having a positive effect on my anxiety and I've been taking better care of myself as a result.

I do think we're still ####ed as a species but que sera, sera.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #54
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Puppy! Puppy! Puppy!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #55
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's good. My wife is pregnant with our third boy, which will be our last, so we're busy preparing for that and talking about that. We already have 4 and 2 year old boys so life is gonna be crazy and busy for a while. Other than that just working and playing video games and finding meaning in raising my family.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #56
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m starting to realize how wonderful change can be. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to take some time off work over the last few months and have taken that opportunity to look into new career paths. Starting to get traction on new opportunities and it’s exciting. Didn’t realize how wearing being complacent and doing something that you don’t really love anymore can be.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #57
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Would you be available to do that for an in person job interview?

Asking for a friend.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #58
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in a good place now. But I feel like I'm at a cross-roads with my job. I've been doing it for 13 years and l feel like I want a change. At the same time I know I should be grateful to still be employed, but sometimes I feel like that's a cop out so employees can be treated poorly by management. ''Suck it up, someone else will do it for less''. I hate that attitude and it seems to run rampant in my company and the industry I work in as a whole. If anything, the company should be grateful to US for being loyal during the hard times.

I want to transfer to another group and am actively looking to do so. It's not that I hate my job. I love the people I work with and I'm lucky enough to travel to some cool places. But I just feel like I want a change, and the idea has been festering in my head for a while now, and won't go away. I know it's not going to go away until I do something about it.

However it's like a catch 22. My girlfriend and I plan on having her move in with me in the fall. We've been doing long distance for a while now, as she was finishing her Masters. We're committed to each other and want to make it work. But the Visa process is pretty hardcore for her to come here, tons of hoops to jump through. There's also no guarantee it will work the first time we try. I'm lucky that I get a ton of vacation time off, so it's been easy to go visit her regularly. At the same time, it almost makes me feel like I'm 'trapped' at my job because I know I won't get as much time off if I change jobs, and possibly our relationship could suffer if we don't see each other as often. So we've talked about it and I've decided that I'll stick with this job until she comes here. Once she's here, I can seriously start looking around for something else I want to do.

I know I should be grateful because I know my situation is nowhere near as bad as others. I'm lucky to live the life I do. Honestly if my biggest worry in life now is trying to figure out how to transfer to another work group and have my girlfriend move in, I think I'm in pretty good shape.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #59
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any form of "You're lucky to even have a job" is just corporate speak for "#### you"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #60
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm doing alright. Last year was rough, really rough. But...things have been looking up for a couple weeks or so now, and I'm taking steps to improve some other aspects of the troubled parts. I've already started seeing some positive effect from the changes, so...that helps, a lot.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: