Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #2161
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor resale value would be the biggest downside if you ask me.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #2162
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if this should go in here or the landscaping thread, but I am getting quotes on a deck. I've contacted the following:

Busy Beaver
A1 Contracting
Ecostone Landscaping
Viking Landscaping

... and one or two others on Kijiji. Anyone have any suggestions as to other possible outfits who would do a good job? A couple of the quotes I've received are just far beyond what I'm willing to pay, but a couple have been more reasonable.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #2163
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Does anyone here live in a house with a slab on grade foundation? Can you think of any Pro's or Con's? Obviously its quite a bit cheaper than a basement to build, but I wonder about other issues and the like.
In Calgary?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:03 AM   #2164
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Any CMR rated should be fine. Ya, it's 250 feet but it is cheap

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Cat5...s&sr=1-13&th=1

Is it just me or does that look like stranded copper wiring in the picture and not solid core as advertised.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:14 AM   #2165
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, the picture is stranded....but the first question someone asked that, and the response is it is solid.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #2166
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone here live in a house with a slab on grade foundation? Can you think of any Pro's or Con's? Obviously its quite a bit cheaper than a basement to build, but I wonder about other issues and the like.
Build a house that will be elderly/disabled friendly. You limit resale because people are obsessed with basements.

I'm all for slabs, add in floor heat and you've got a great efficient house.

Or dig a hole in the ground and try and keep water out for the rest of the homes life. Haha.

I get the pros of a basement, utilities, extra space on a smaller footprint. In my town the rule is a single family dwelling has to be built with a basement, you actually have to get an fight to build a slab. With all the ground water, heaving and cracking issues I've seen over the years, not to mention weeping tile that plugs over time, I just don't see basements as a must.

The older I get the more I want a slab. There are so many issues that can be avoided in a slab.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #2167
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Also with a slab you can 100% avoid pesky basement hauntings.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #2168
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Build a house that will be elderly/disabled friendly. You limit resale because people are obsessed with basements.

I'm all for slabs, add in floor heat and you've got a great efficient house.

Or dig a hole in the ground and try and keep water out for the rest of the homes life. Haha.

I get the pros of a basement, utilities, extra space on a smaller footprint. In my town the rule is a single family dwelling has to be built with a basement, you actually have to get an fight to build a slab. With all the ground water, heaving and cracking issues I've seen over the years, not to mention weeping tile that plugs over time, I just don't see basements as a must.

The older I get the more I want a slab. There are so many issues that can be avoided in a slab.
Homes in Calgary have basements because the foundation has to be below the frost line.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #2169
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
SoG in Calgary? Didn't know they existed given the depth of the frost line.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #2170
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not sure if this should go in here or the landscaping thread, but I am getting quotes on a deck. I've contacted the following:

Busy Beaver
A1 Contracting
Ecostone Landscaping
Viking Landscaping

... and one or two others on Kijiji. Anyone have any suggestions as to other possible outfits who would do a good job? A couple of the quotes I've received are just far beyond what I'm willing to pay, but a couple have been more reasonable.
As with anything, you get what you pay for. Small fly by night guys might be cheaper but good luck with followup service etc.

We had our second story deck done by Busy Beaver, as well as a fence. Very happy with their work.

Currently having entire yard re-done by Assiniboine, and very happy with their work as well. This included a fence as well, and the sub they use was great.

Both are great options, but decks aren't cheap, let alone paying someone to do it.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #2171
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but $15,000 for a <300sqft deck that is literally just a flat surface with no railings and two steps off it is just more than I consider reasonable, especially since my situation doesnt require any digging whatsoever because it's being built on concrete, not dirt. I get that busy beaver has a good rep but I can't justify that.

Thanks for the suggestions I've received over PM. If anyone has any others lay em on me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-23-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #2172
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
In Calgary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
SoG in Calgary? Didn't know they existed given the depth of the frost line.
No, it would be on my families farm in mountain view county.

The impact of cold climates is certainly one of the things I am interested in learning about.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #2173
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they wrapping it in gold leaf? That sounds crazy. Cedar is really expensive now, but even that should only be around $1000 in material.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #2174
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are they wrapping it in gold leaf? That sounds crazy. Cedar is really expensive now, but even that should only be around $1000 in material.
They were stuck behind him on the off-ramp and are getting their payback.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #2175
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but $15,000 for a <300sqft deck that is literally just a flat surface with no railings and two steps off it is just more than I consider reasonable, especially since my situation doesnt require any digging whatsoever because it's being built on concrete, not dirt. I get that busy beaver has a good rep but I can't justify that.

Thanks for the suggestions I've received over PM. If anyone has any others lay em on me.
If you buy the supplies, pizza, and beer, I'm sure we can organize a CalgaryPuck Deck Build.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #2176
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's more than double what they charged me about 2 years ago for the same size deck. And mine was elevated with about 6 stair risers...and vinyl decking.

I re-used my old railings but still...

Someone must have a new truck to pay off.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #2177
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's for composite, not cedar, so that increases the materials cost. But even then, I'm finding composite for ~$30-40 a board for decent stuff, and I assume they get it even cheaper, so it still seems like a whole lot of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If you buy the supplies, pizza, and beer, I'm sure we can organize a CalgaryPuck Deck Build.
I'm fairly confident that given the amount of trolling I've done on here (intentional or otherwise) that I don't really want where I live to be general CP knowledge...

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-23-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #2178
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's for composite, not cedar, so that increases the materials cost. But even then, I'm finding composite for ~$30-40 a board for decent stuff, and I assume they get it even cheaper, so it still seems like a whole lot of money.

I'm fairly confident that given the amount of trolling I've done on here (intentional or otherwise) that I don't really want where I live to be general CP knowledge...
When you build your deck, at least make sure the gaps between the boards are relatively tight. You don't want any struggler boards.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #2179
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

My shed is basically a sheet metal box. I want to be able to put up some hooks, racks, etc. to be able to wrap hoses, hang up garden tools, etc. Anyone know of a good solution to get things mounted onto/into metal?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #2180
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
My shed is basically a sheet metal box. I want to be able to put up some hooks, racks, etc. to be able to wrap hoses, hang up garden tools, etc. Anyone know of a good solution to get things mounted onto/into metal?
Bolt a sheet of plywood or a sheet of pegboard to the inside of it.