Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:
Default Protected WMA files

About a year ago, I purchased a CD and there are two options:
a) you can listen to the disc
b) you can take the WMA files on disk and upload them to your computer

I want to put this specific CD onto my iPod, but I've had no luck. Usually when you put in a music disc, iTunes will recognize it right away so you can copy the files over. No such luck with this disk.

Instead, the disc has it's own little program that comes up when you pop it into your drive. I try to explore the disc using Windows Explorer, but I can't view the music files.

So, I've decided to put the WMA files onto my computer. I try to load them into iTunes so they can be converted but it won't allow me because the files are "protected". I've also tried using the Windows Media Converter to change them to MP3s but again, I get a message saying I need a certificate. Don't I already have the certificate since I bought the cd?

It's getting frustrating because I did pay for this music, but it won't let me put it on my portable music device. I'm not at home enough to be listening to it on my computer.

Are there any suggestions so I can put the files on my iPod?
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

before you ripped the cd onto your comp, did you go into tools/rip music tab in media player and uncheck the box for copy protect music? a lot of people forget to do this, especially after they upgrade WMP. I know I do every time

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy's Critter View Post
before you ripped the cd onto your comp, did you go into tools/rip music tab in media player and uncheck the box for copy protect music? a lot of people forget to do this, especially after they upgrade WMP. I know I do every time
The thing is, I can only rip the cd to my hard drive by using this silly program on the actual music disc.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

What record company is this disc from so I can never buy one of their discs again. This just crosses the line.

There are ways to hack into the audio stream as you play the CD on your computer, and encode that stream into an MP3 or similar format.

I heard about it being done by a Prof who had a Grad student who did it at the hardware level, by physically hacking into the audio output on the CD drive. I assume there would be similar software available somewhere which could mimic the same thing, however I have never heard of a specific program
Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
The thing is, I can only rip the cd to my hard drive by using this silly program on the actual music disc.
I share your frustration. I bought a DVD the other day and wanted to watch it on my computer. To do so i had download their programing to be able to watch the movie. Couldn't use WMP. Ended up taking the damn DVD back.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
What record company is this disc from so I can never buy one of their discs again. This just crosses the line.
Isn't it brutal? I'm really disappointed. It was produced by Virgin and EMI.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I share your frustration. I bought a DVD the other day and wanted to watch it on my computer. To do so i had download their programing to be able to watch the movie. Couldn't use WMP. Ended up taking the damn DVD back.
I wish I could do this, but I bought it online months ago. Real life got in the way and I haven't had time to sit down to do this until now. When I ordered it online, no where did it say that it wouldn't work. I thought I was doing a good thing, ordering from a band's official website.

After further inspection of the sleeve it says the disc can only be copied three times and it may not be compilable with iPods. Glad to know that now...I would've been better off downloading it from iTunes.

The funny thing, I just enjoy having cds. I've enjoyed collecting them throughout the years and although I have a huge digital collection on my iPod, I like rummaging through my cd collection too.

Oh well. I'll think twice next time. Lesson learned.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mango,

to get around this problem..is a pain in the ass, but after you rip the WMA onto your computer, use Window Media Player to burn a regular music CD. After burning that CD, the copy protection is gone and you can rip that new CD using any program, as many time as you want, into any format you want....

If you don't want a coaster... use a CD-RW.. if you don't care since CD-R are cheap nowadays... then.. have fun
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #9
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I wish I could do this, but I bought it online months ago. Real life got in the way and I haven't had time to sit down to do this until now. When I ordered it online, no where did it say that it wouldn't work. I thought I was doing a good thing, ordering from a band's official website.

After further inspection of the sleeve it says the disc can only be copied three times and it may not be compilable with iPods. Glad to know that now...I would've been better off downloading it from iTunes.
Send an email to the bands website and voice your displeasure. They may not be aware that fans are a bit peeved by this action.

Quote:
The funny thing, I just enjoy having cds. I've enjoyed collecting them throughout the years and although I have a huge digital collection on my iPod, I like rummaging through my cd collection too.
I'm much the same. Last time i checked there was over 250 CD's in my collection. As for iPods, i've steered far away from them. Far to often i'm sitting or standing near someone that has one and you can actually hear what they are listening too. Me thinks that we are going to have a generation of adults with hearing problems when they enter their 30's and all.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

The CD still plays in a basic CD deck right?

Couldn't you put it in a non-Windows machine, rip the audio into MP3's and then just copy those files into iTunes?

I wouldn't be surprised if the disk was from Sony. The only way they could enforce that DRM is by installing some sort of root-kit/driver module into Windows.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can rip it using a program called EAC.

This is the type of BS I'm harping on all the time.

If the government's new Copyright Bill becomes law, what you are trying to do will become illegal (circumventing copyright protections, for whatever reason, becomes a crime).

Let your MP that the consumer needs rights, too; not just the multinational media companies. I'll get off my soapbox now.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
Mango,

to get around this problem..is a pain in the ass, but after you rip the WMA onto your computer, use Window Media Player to burn a regular music CD. After burning that CD, the copy protection is gone and you can rip that new CD using any program, as many time as you want, into any format you want....

If you don't want a coaster... use a CD-RW.. if you don't care since CD-R are cheap nowadays... then.. have fun
This is what I've had to do for one or two CDs.

I think I've also just played the CD from its embedded player, and recorded the audio into a sound recording program (Cool edit), and then ripped those audio files into mp3s.

The point is, the only thing that doing stuff like that does is piss off the buyer. People who copy illegally will always be able to do so. Those of us who just want to enjoy the CDs we've purchased will just get annoyed.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

As you've already purchased the cd, I'd get it off a bit torrent site. Everybody differs on bit torrents morally, but in my opinion if you've already bought it you should be able to share it among your own devices.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #14
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
As you've already purchased the cd, I'd get it off a bit torrent site. Everybody differs on bit torrents morally, but in my opinion if you've already bought it you should be able to share it among your own devices.
+1
Old 02-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know there are some CDs that installed software (fake drivers) on your computer. One I had experience with was Suncomm Mediamax. It took 2 minutes of googling to figure out how to bypass the copy protection so I could properly rip the CD I purchased to my mp3 player.

You can google the name of the album, and see what type of copy protection is in use. Then there should be some simple steps to disable the software.

These were the steps for Suncomm Mediamax: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

(Too late for you, but holding down the Shift key when you insert a CD actually prevents the crappy software from being installed. But, once installed once, the shift key trick won't help.)

Quote:
I think I've also just played the CD from its embedded player, and recorded the audio into a sound recording program (Cool edit), and then ripped those audio files into mp3s.
Unfortunately, in the programs I've seen, the bitrate of these players is locked at 96 or 128. I don't have great ears, but 96 kbps sounds awful, and 128 kbps sounds noticeably poor at times as well. So, be aware that you might not have an optimal quality rip if you are doing that.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
I should have thought of this right away. It definitely is the easiest solution. Thank you!

And thanks to everyone for their help on this topic.

I'm definitely going to send an email to the band.