Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2021, 10:55 PM   #2781
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Speaking of SNL and the type of musical acts that have broad appeal, things are very, very different now than they were in, for example, the mid-late 90s.

You think RATM or any band like them is playing SNL nowadays? Not a friggin chance. The days of Korn, Limp Bizkit, Tool, Marilyn Manson, RATM etc fighting for MTV airtime with Britney, Christina, Nsync and Backstreet Boys is a distant memory.

Now, most of those bands weren’t exactly SNL’s typical musical guest but you’d at least occasionally get a heavier band. That’s basically a complete no go nowadays. Those kinds of bands just don’t have the same broad mainstream appeal they did 25 years ago. They’ve become niche again, like they were before Metallica helped lead the heavy music resurgence in the late 80s.

Current SNL is probably 65% female pop stars now, 25% rap and 10% soft rock.

I can’t even name a chart topping hard rock band that still produces new music on a regular basis except Tool. Foo Fighters are probably the heaviest act on SNL in a long time and they played Shame and, IIRC, a quiet rework of times like these. Neither of which are exactly bangers.
IDK, you are right about the charts...but charts these days are more about tiktok singles ect. Most real musicians take years to put out an album. The best selling albums are all oldies and those are basically Gretzky points records now.

Look at the top 10 touring acts of the last decade

Ed Sheeran
U2
Guns n Roses
Coldplay
Roger Waters
AC/DC
Metallica
The Rolling Stones
Pink
Bruno Mars

This is who people pay money to see

SNL could probably mix in a little variety IMO. The late night shows do this...Kimmel had Metallica recently and based on youtube views it was one of their most viewed musical guest all year

That being said I'm not sure too many bands want to to SNL these days anyway...its not exactly "cool" and most of them have been there and done that. Speaking of 35 year olds isn't that probably the average age of an SNL viewer?

Last edited by dino7c; 12-15-2021 at 10:58 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:03 AM   #2782
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Uh, all of these artists came out a decade or two ago...kinda proves my point no

I was responding to "moving the culture forward" or whatever...what artist is doing that? mumbling over 70s tracks is topping the charts.

And yes there is good music out there, like someone else said you have to dig deep to find it these days though, deeper than ever IMO.

There are a lot of young people that agree, if you go to concert of a big 80s band like half the crowd is under 35. People that want to hear real music played on instruments ect.
I’m not sure it does prove your point. You seemed to be saying mainstream music today is terrible and that you’ve felt that way for 15 years or more, so I don’t see how mentioning some of the biggest acts of the last 15 years proves your point.

I guess there’s two different conversations. One is “where is our Aretha Franklin?” and to that we don’t know, because very few new Aretha was going to mean what she did to music right from the start, and the talent may not have changed but the conditions that make a star sure have.

The other is quality music in the mainstream. There’s a lot of it. You don’t have to dig very deep at all. It may not be to your taste, and that’s fine, but that’s just taste for you. Rolling Stone absolutely trashed the first Led Zeppelin album when it came out, and look at how that turned out. Even Souncloud rap (mumble rap) which you keep mentioning as being what’s popular today peaked half a decade ago and is really not representative of what’s popular right now. There’s also countless popular bands playing real instruments.

I don’t know what else to tell you. I think you’re kind of out of touch on the topic, but I respect where you’re coming from.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #2783
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yet over 5M people have gone to their concerts in the last 5 years...averaging 33k per show
that's 5 million fools.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #2784
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
that's 5 million fools.
Not necessarily. A more accurate statement would be: That's 5 million people whose music tastes are primitive and inferior to mine.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #2785
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You think RATM or any band like them is playing SNL nowadays? Not a friggin chance.
RATM were banned from the show for hanging the American flag upside down during their set in the mid 90s.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #2786
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Not necessarily. A more accurate statement would be: That's 5 million people whose music tastes are primitive and inferior to mine.
I stand by my statement..............

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:27 PM   #2787
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Whole lotta…

…in this thread.

I’m not saying you’re wrong when you say there’s no good music today, or ________ isn’t “real” music. You are wrong, but that wasn’t my point. You should keep those opinions to yourself because you’re old and your musical taste is based on experiences that are likely very different to those of young people now. You have no idea who will be remembered in 50 years, especially since it won’t be you doing the remembering.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #2788
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty SNL related, I thought this was really funny
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #2789
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will Forte is an all-time great.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #2790
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1472302468344254470
Old 12-18-2021, 06:49 PM   #2791
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Ugh, I just can't get into anything without a crowd. Just so awkward with the silence after jokes and all that.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:53 PM   #2792
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Charli XCX also won’t perform.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #2793
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Ugh, I just can't get into anything without a crowd. Just so awkward with the silence after jokes and all that.
At least they aren't at home.

I didn't realize they were just doing a clip show tonight. I thought they were still going to do some new stuff.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 12-18-2021 at 09:43 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:36 AM   #2794
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

There were a few new sketches that were taped earlier in the week, plus a few older sketches/ clips mixed in. Some of the new ones were decent enough.

There were a few funny things, if you can laugh at things without an audience for validation or whatever.

I get a kick out of little things comedians think it is funny to say to each other, Tom Hanks talked about being the first and starting the 5x club, and Tina Fey said ‘like covid!’. Or when Che made the comment about him and Kenan being the only cast members.

Also there was an obligatory Pete Davidson video that went nowhere.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 12:58 AM   #2795
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I laughed a lot more during the older sketches. Steve Martin's Holiday Wish and Christmastime for the Jews are still great.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 07:18 PM   #2796
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
oh hell ya this song is banging

I want the sweater Da Baby is wearing
Old 01-16-2022, 01:11 AM   #2797
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bit of a rough start to 2022. Bleachers was great, Update was its usual consistent social commentary and had some lol moments. Great to hear a live audience again.

Really excited for Will Forte’s return next week.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:14 AM   #2798
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bleachers were quite good. It's refreshing to see an actual rock band on SNL.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:15 AM   #2799
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

They're not really rock at all, but it was great to see real music on the show again for sure.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #2800
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
They're not really rock at all, but it was great to see real music on the show again for sure.

I checked out some of their other stuff, and yeah, I guess you could say they have more of an indie-pop thing going on. But they certainly rocked out during their SNL performance and were obviously channelling Springsteen and the E Street Band.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post: