Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #101
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Guys. I've only done this for dogs that bark incessantly.
I'd hope so, but you did recommend bending the truth to get some enforcement action.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #102
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Playing all the hits today!
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #103
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I know. Only ####ty dog owners who can't actually raise a dog do this. So if you're saying if you were a dog owner you'd be a ####ty dog owner, well, obviously.
I love this.

Are you a "no such thing as a bad dog; just a bad owner" kind of guy?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #104
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I'd hope so, but you did recommend bending the truth to get some enforcement action.
Not even once.

Framing the situation in a way to get a response isn't bending the truth if it's still honest. I mean, I don't think happy dogs get caught in a loop where they bark non-stop for hours on end. I can be concerned for the dog - even if it's 0.01% concern - while also being annoyed by the barking. The problem I'm going to bylaw for in the case of an incessant barker is the bylaw prohibiting barking. The only way to get them to do anything about the barking is to frame it in a way that will get action. That's a failing on bylaw's fault, but you have to work with the institution and the people in it, so that's what you do if you want the problem solved.

Either way, the infraction is the dog barking and that's what you're calling to address.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #105
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

New off topic thread about dogs!

Curiously checks post counts...
Sliver 27
#2 - 8

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #106
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
One of my neighbours growing up in Dalhousie had his dog debarked. I always thought that was very considerate. The sound of it kind of yelping was still annoying, but it didn't carry so wasn't an issue. I'd do that if I had a dog and would fit it with a shock collar while waiting for the operation.

I think the biggest compliment you could ever receive as a dog owner from your neighbours would be, 'I didn't even know you had a dog.' If you're a dog owner and you hear that, you're doing something right.
I agree with most of your posts, but this one seems cruel. I’d prefer dogs be taken away from owners who have a disregard for their neighbors or community. Ones that let them deficate everywhere or run loose.

Walking down a pathway with a little barky dog running unleashed towards me and at me means it should be socially acceptable to punt it..... unless the owner is running after it apologetically of course.

I don’t even mind being a Karen so long as the Karen complaint is reasonable. I actually encourage it.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #107
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I agree with most of your posts, but this one seems cruel. I’d prefer dogs be taken away from owners who have a disregard for their neighbors or community. Ones that let them deficate everywhere or run loose.

Walking down a pathway with a little barky dog running unleashed towards me and at me means it should be socially acceptable to punt it..... unless the owner is running after it apologetically of course.

I don’t even mind being a Karen so long as the Karen complaint is reasonable. I actually encourage it.
Wouldn't you be concerned they'd put the dog down if they removed it, though? If the options are euthanizing the dog or debarking it, I think debarking is the way to go.

I do understand invasive surgeries are not ideal, but I don't know if they're cruel in extenuating circumstances.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #108
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love this.

Are you a "no such thing as a bad dog; just a bad owner" kind of guy?
Bad dogs are a byproduct of bad owners. Too many people think that "training" is making sure they piss and poo outside. It takes effort to train a dog, time and money. Same as kids, except dogs are cool and (almost) everyone likes them while kids grow up to be little bastards and you have to pretend to like them even as you trash them behind their parents backs.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #109
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Bad dogs are a byproduct of bad owners. Too many people think that "training" is making sure they piss and poo outside. It takes effort to train a dog, time and money. Same as kids, except dogs are cool and (almost) everyone likes them while kids grow up to be little bastards and you have to pretend to like them even as you trash them behind their parents backs.
Fair enough.

There is a crazy theory out there that's pretty fringe so no worries if you haven't heard of it. It's called nature/nurture. Both play into how a being behaves...not just one or the other.

In fact, some dogs - just like people - have rotten natures regardless of how much nurture they have received.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #110
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Wouldn't you be concerned they'd put the dog down if they removed it, though? If the options are euthanizing the dog or debarking it, I think debarking is the way to go.

I do understand invasive surgeries are not ideal, but I don't know if they're cruel in extenuating circumstances.
Well then you should need a license to get a dog. Proper training so all owners are aware of the rules and by laws with dog ownership. If someone is willing to go through the training then chances are they’ll take care of their dogs. In return i’ll be more patient with dogs knowing that the dog owner is responsible.

This is especially true for dogs who are dangerous to the public. In my opinion only the police should have these types of dogs. The police officer in charge of that dog has gone through so much training i’m good with it. They have the means to properly care for and train these animals.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #111
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough.

There is a crazy theory out there that's pretty fringe so no worries if you haven't heard of it. It's called nature/nurture. Both play into how a being behaves...not just one or the other.

In fact, some dogs - just like people - have rotten natures regardless of how much nurture they have received.
Some dogs like to bark more than others as well. Some dogs I have had are pretty relaxed and some took it is as their job to patrol the backyard.

My least favourite dog people are the ones who ignore the leash laws. Most of the time it is people with big dogs. Yesterday, I had a guy who had to jump on his rottweiler to stop it from tearing over to us. My dog would be done if it was aggressive.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #112
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sort of, but I mean, as with people, I'm sure there are nice dogs and there are ahole dogs. Some dogs are just aholes who pick on other dogs, don't train well no matter what you do, etc.

In terms of barking, I'm sort of with Sliver on this. Not to the extent of being a Karen about it and calling bylaw on them. But I have a neighbor whose dog roams his backyard, and just constantly barks. I haven't really noticed it till working from home this past year. But the constant barking from like 8am to the evening does get a little tiring and annoying.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #113
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

But is the dog barking all day the dogs fault, or the owners? Leaving a dog to just sit in the yard all day is terrible. Dogs are the same as humans, when they get bored they become irritable and annoying. When they are engaged they are usually good.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #114
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
My least favourite dog people are the ones who ignore the leash laws. Most of the time it is people with big dogs. Yesterday, I had a guy who had to jump on his rottweiler to stop it from tearing over to us. My dog would be done if it was aggressive.
This is generally accompanied with "Don't worry he isn't aggressive" "Don't worry he's nice"

Or some other bull#### to justify their piss poor dog owner behavior.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #115
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some dogs are just jerks. When it comes to intelligence and personality, they have a lot of individual variation based on genetics, just like people. You might be able to train them to suppress their urges , but they will still emerge if the dog has not been bred to pick up on human social queues. Breeds that have been bred for companionship over hundreds of years pick it up naturally with little or no training. Dogs that were bred for working, hunting, or fighting will never suppress their urges 100% and be happy doing it. I think it's almost cruel to own an a dog like that in a normal urban setting because it must be incredibly frustrating for them to suppress their natural urges. The stuff they do that annoys us, is fun and rewarding for them. Making them go against their nature would be like training a human that having fun is a bad thing.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #116
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Nm.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 03-02-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:34 PM   #117
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Some dogs are just jerks. When it comes to intelligence and personality, they have a lot of individual variation based on genetics, just like people. You might be able to train them to suppress their urges , but they will still emerge if the dog has not been bred to pick up on human social queues. Breeds that have been bred for companionship over hundreds of years pick it up naturally with little or no training. Dogs that were bred for working, hunting, or fighting will never suppress their urges 100% and be happy doing it. I think it's almost cruel to own an a dog like that in a normal urban setting because it must be incredibly frustrating for them to suppress their natural urges. The stuff they do that annoys us, is fun and rewarding for them. Making them go against their nature would be like training a human that having fun is a bad thing.
You got that right. People who get hardcore pack dogs like huskies and then leave them home alone all day are kind of dicks. Forget barking you want to really lose your mind? Live next door to someone who leaves a whiny husky alone all day. That’ll make you snap.

In retrospect someone should have called bylaw on those people. I wonder what ever happened to them.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #118
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems like because of Covid, every family in my neighborhood got a dog over the last year. So now when I walk my daughter to school, it's a non-stop dog parade. In the 4 blocks to school, we literally come across 8-10 dogs on the way there and back.

That's fine and all, but I hate how everyone with a dog assumes you love dogs too, and they all just assume everyone wants to play with their dog...when I just want to walk my kid to school. I have nothing against dogs, I just don't care to interact with them...especially every 20 feet. I just want to keep walking. No, sorry lady, I don't want to say hi. I don't care what his name/breed is. No, I don't want your dog jumping on my kid. Yes, I'm sure he's harmless, but no. It's gauntlet of annoying dog owners.

/Sliver5
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #119
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It seems like because of Covid, every family in my neighborhood got a dog over the last year. So now when I walk my daughter to school, it's a non-stop dog parade. In the 4 blocks to school, we literally come across 8-10 dogs on the way there and back.

That's fine and all, but I hate how everyone with a dog assumes you love dogs too, and they all just assume everyone wants to play with their dog...when I just want to walk my kid to school. I have nothing against dogs, I just don't care to interact with them...especially every 20 feet. I just want to keep walking. No, sorry lady, I don't want to say hi. I don't care what his name/breed is. No, I don't want your dog jumping on my kid. Yes, I'm sure he's harmless, but no. It's gauntlet of annoying dog owners.

/Sliver5
Yup this behaviour is unacceptable. Your dog shouldn’t come near me unless I ask or say it’s okay.

And also, you shouldn’t try and touch my dog unless I say it’s okay. I happily say “no” every time.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #120
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
This is right on the money. Various dogs are bred to be dog or attack dogs. Then you place them into an urban environment, and expect them to know that the delivery guy is there to drop off a package and not attack the family.

I've never really understood the "pro pitbull" people. All dogs can snap and attack. It's an inherent risk of having a carnivore in your midst. Not all dogs, however, are bred specifically for the purpose of killing other animals, or even people. When certain breeds of dog snap they don't have jaws designed for chocking the life out living things. Why do you possibly need a dog bred with those kind of weapons. What's wrong with a retriever. Why do you need the dog bred to be a fighting dog?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: