Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #81
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Just curious, because I want to know what's allowed and what's not -

If the team's colors are solid black and their 'thing' for the crowd is a "black out", is full body paint - including the face - still totally off the table?

And if you're a white student, are you only allowed to taunt the white players on the opposing team?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #82
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This has already been widely debunked.

Next you're going to tell me they're making the white power symbol with their hands.
That isn't white minstrel paint around that kids lips and eyes on the right?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:06 AM   #83
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
That isn't white minstrel paint around that kids lips and eyes on the right?
It isn't. Look at how bright the reflections are on their faces. It's just unpainted white skin.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #84
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't imagine what it's like to live in a world where everything is viewed thru the lens of race and class and perceived privilege. It must be ####ing exhausting to be a progressive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #85
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It isn't. Look at how bright the reflections are on their faces. It's just unpainted white skin.

The kid on the right is also using white make up on his eyes and mouth, do they need to be carrying a watermelon and a banjo?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #86
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The kid on the right is also using white make up on his eyes and mouth, do they need to be carrying a watermelon and a banjo?
It looks like unpainted skin to me, unless you have a better photo.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #87
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, it might be, it might not be. In the place that image originated from in 2015 there wasn’t a lot of denial of it being minstrel, most of the defence was that the dumb kid didn’t know better.

Like my friend who had a lawn jockey in his living room. Not a racist, just didn’t know the context, but still definitely owned a lawn jockey.

I think “unpainted skin that is white due to the reflection!” is a little too CSI: Miami level of photo interpretation.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #88
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I honestly can't imagine what it's like to live in a world where everything is viewed thru the lens of race and class and perceived privilege. It must be ####ing exhausting to be a progressive.
Try to imagine what it's like being black. Try to imagine what it's like being indigenous. Actually deeply think about it. Read up on the black and indigenous perspectives on race and class. Do you imagine it might be... exhausting?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #89
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:

Next you're going to tell me they're making the white power symbol with their hands.
I didn't see that it was debunked. Did some searching, the picture is real as is the video, apparently the intent is not racial. It's a "Blackout" game.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...c-black-paint/
Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #90
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
So that kid just has a natural joker smile? What in the actual #### is wrong with your eyeballs? Does not wanting to see racism actually shut off the part of your brain responsible for eyesight?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #91
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry, just curious where hits has been "debunked"? All I've found is someone saying it was school spirit and it was part of their colours, but their colours are blue and white...
Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #92
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just what we needed. Another cancer thread about american politics.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #93
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I mean, it might be, it might not be. In the place that image originated from in 2015 there wasn’t a lot of denial of it being minstrel, most of the defence was that the dumb kid didn’t know better.

Like my friend who had a lawn jockey in his living room. Not a racist, just didn’t know the context, but still definitely owned a lawn jockey.

I think “unpainted skin that is white due to the reflection!” is a little too CSI: Miami level of photo interpretation.
haha so let's instead call these kids racist #######s and dox the hell outta them
Old 01-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #94
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Try to imagine what it's like being black. Try to imagine what it's like being indigenous. Actually deeply think about it. Read up on the black and indigenous perspectives on race and class. Do you imagine it might be... exhausting?

I don't need to read up on racism and prejuidice. My Mom and Baba told me stories about coming to Canada as Ukrainians. My Mom had to learn English here and wore different clothes. She was beat up weekly, taunted, bullied, constantly. Being different can suck, and people often can suck. What doesn't help is assuming everything is racist and going from there. Its toxic. Your attitude, your views on these matters, they're all very toxic.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #95
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Debunked as what? As one of those "deep-fake" kind of image, or debunked as in it wasn't intentionally blackface?

If the latter, there must be somebody at that school though that has at least heard of "blackface" and should have thought - "hmm, could this be miscontrued at all?" and then decided to just have the kid wear black pants and shirts instead of painting themselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #96
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
No he also needs to be holding a bucket of chicken and yelling the N word.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #97
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
haha so let's instead call these kids racist #######s and dox the hell outta them
That’s not at all what I said, not what I said when the image was originally posted in the American politics thread. The opposite, in fact.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #98
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

School spirit.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1088057602318192640
Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 AM   #99
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So that kid just has a natural joker smile? What in the actual #### is wrong with your eyeballs? Does not wanting to see racism actually shut off the part of your brain responsible for eyesight?
Seriously, you are absolutely cancerous to this forum and are an awful person. How you and posters like FW are not banned is beyond me, but I know why you aren't.

I never said he had a natural joker smile. There is just no black paint - or any paint - on that part of his face.

I'm not saying this isn't a dumb thing to do - I know better - but these are kids, and they may not.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #100
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Covington Scissor

It's still not clear if the initial surge of activity over this issue was a Russian op. If it wasn't, you can be sure they're taking notes and calibrating their tactics.

The mainstream media need to get their #### together and stop playing this toxic game. Stop jumping in with both feet hours or even minutes after seeing a tweet or a Youtube video. Stop stoking the fury of their audience. Editors and producers should ask themselves, as they're going through the story list for the day, if they're going to earn some guy in a cubicle in St. Petersberg a performance bonus. If they are, they should probably rethink their lineup.

I'll wade into this thread just to agree with Cliff on this one.

This whole incident is a bunch of nothing, fanned into a sort-of-something on social media, and then given undue prominence by national media outlets who were quite happy to stoke it into an inferno.

I get that lots of people use social media, but not everything that becomes a big deal in the twitterverse or on FB is actually newsworthy. Actual news outlets shouldn't just parrot this crap, they should spend time investigating things that actually matter and draw them to the public's attention. This story is a sign that they either haven't learned any lessons over the past couple of years, or that old habits simply die hard.

There's simply nothing to be gained by extensive public discourse over this (as this thread demonstrates). A simple chyron - "People act like dinks as protest groups converge" - would have done the trick.

And Cliff's right: building this nothing into something divisive is right out of the Russian playbook. Even easier than going through the effort of creating their own converging protest marches. Not a good sign that the major media outlets seem not to have learned this already.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread