Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #661
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those at the game, we're you suprised how active Smith was away from the play/stoppages. He was all over the place. Not saying it is bad, just the norm with goalies seems to be finding that zen zone.

To follow up on the puck handling, it is going to benefit huge. There were a number of situation where he initiated a quick transition back up the ice. On the PP alone it will give us more offensive zone time.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #662
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jankowski: as so many have said, he was solid all night. Gulutzan was using him in every situation possible, and he looked good in all of them. The only worry is facoffs, and on the PK especially, faceoffs a re a problem for him
FYI, Jankowski was 63% on faceoffs, and 50% during the PK
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #663
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
That is so odd to me, he seemed to lose almost every faceoff I saw him take. Selective memory I guess.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #664
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski FO numbers was 54% (7 for 13) vs Edmonton, 27% (4 for 15) vs Vancouver , and 63% (10 for 16) vs Arizona.

so total over 3 games 21 for 44 or 48%. Looks like capability is there, just needs to work on consistency
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #665
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
For those at the game, we're you suprised how active Smith was away from the play/stoppages. He was all over the place. Not saying it is bad, just the norm with goalies seems to be finding that zen zone.

To follow up on the puck handling, it is going to benefit huge. There were a number of situation where he initiated a quick transition back up the ice. On the PP alone it will give us more offensive zone time.
I was surprised to see him purposely go behind the net and basically be the third defenceman looking to make the outlet pass. Looks very confident back there, very decisive. He was also trying to score in the final minute, with the goalie pulled and the Coyotes on the PP. Would have been awesome to see that.

P.S. I did see one time, as the puck was being carried across the centre ice, that Smith actually took his mask off, flung his hair back, and put it back on. I've NEVER seen that in the middle of a play...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #666
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
P.S. I did see one time, as the puck was being carried across the centre ice, that Smith actually took his mask off, flung his hair back, and put it back on. I've NEVER seen that in the middle of a play...
Probably wants his own "fabulous" gif.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #667
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the thing with Smith's puckhandling is that nobody out there is used to it quite yet, cuz we haven't had a puckhandling goalie like him. They seem to freeze and hesitate sometimes for a second when Smith has the puck on his stick. When they get more used to it, and Smith gets more used to them (especially the D) it will be awesome.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #668
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Thanks for this. Obviously my comment was a remnant of the prior game. And it looked like things were better last night (for the whole team) on the draw, but I had no idea they were that much better.

Good to hear.

If he can run anywhere near 50% on the dot, then he is making the starting lineup on opening night and never looking back.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #669
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't surprised to see how active Smith was - I expected that. And I knew he was a good passer and confident puck handler.

What surprised me was how quick and decisive he was. He made plays when I thought there was no time for a goalie to make a play. And he made good plays. Really smart and quick decisions. It paralyzes the forecheckers - they go in after him and then he just fires a pass to the open guy and they are off the other way.

I absolutely loved what I saw from him last night.

And this is from a guy who HATES goalies playing the puck. As a defenseman, I always hated it because you never knew what the goalie was going to do. But when he is that awesome, he makes plays and it becomes a benefit.

I know that when he inevitably makes a bad play and it leads to a goal against, the haters will be out in full force. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is very much a net positive back there.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #670
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Monahan, Backlund, Bennett and Jankowski are gonna be fund to watch down the middle.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #671
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone has got to go to the wing, no? These are all high skill players, splitting them up like that doesn't leave enough ice time to go around...
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #672
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Someone has got to go to the wing, no? These are all high skill players, splitting them up like that doesn't leave enough ice time to go around...
If Gaudreau-Bennett can bring that kind of chemistry consistently then I wouldn't be opposed to mixing things up in the top-six. It also doesn't hurt that Bennett is quick to defend JG. Maybe pair Tkachuk-Monahan and put Jankowski with Backlund and Frolik to start.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #673
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
If Gaudreau-Bennett can bring that kind of chemistry consistently then I wouldn't be opposed to mixing things up in the top-six. It also doesn't hurt that Bennett is quick to defend JG. Maybe pair Tkachuk-Monahan and put Jankowski with Backlund and Frolik to start.
I like this, a lot.

Gaudreau Bennett Ferland
Tkachuk Monahan Versteeg
Jankowski Backlund Frolik
Lazar Stajan Brouwer

Hamilton, Hathaway
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #674
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was at the game, some thoughts:

I thought the Andersson/Wotherspoon pairing were excellent. They got a ton of ice time once the Flames had the lead and played very well. I'm liking Spoon over Kulak for 6D at this point.

Really liked Smith this game. There was a point in the game where the Yotes were cycling the puck well in our zone, they moved the puck behind the net and Smith jumps out, stops the puck and moves it to a D and we exit the zone. Really smart play.

Bennett Gaudreau and Ferland were all excellent. Nothing more to add that hasn't already been said.

Shinkaruk was not good. Too passive and couldn't get into good scoring spaces.

Thought Kkimchuk and Lazar played really well. You want more from Lazar but he was great defensively and played with a lot of energy.

I thought Brouwer was fine. I'm not sure what people expect from him each shift but I thought he was effective, had a few good shots.

Loved Dougie giving the Arizona player the left jab early in the game. We somehow ended up on the PP after that, I don't know how.

Brodie/Hamonic look like they're starting to gel. A few errant passes but Brodie was skating well and Hamonic had a few assists which never hurts.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #675
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I have nothing to add to everyone's excellent and much appreciated observations. But I wanted to say that from the SD feed on my computer Bennett looks bigger, thicker and played a significantly heavier game than ever before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #676
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I like this, a lot.

Gaudreau Bennett Ferland
Tkachuk Monahan Versteeg
Jankowski Backlund Frolik
Lazar Stajan Brouwer

Hamilton, Hathaway
I'm warming to this too. I love Mony but he doesn't stand up for Gaudreau enough. Bennett would, no problem.

Tkachuk is as good a playmaker as Gaudreau (better maybe) and can feed Monahan in the slot all day.

I also think that Bennett and Gaudreau play the game at a similar pace. Up-tempo, forcing plays. Tkachuk and Monahan are both "slow the game down" guys and are more cerebral, waiting for a seam. Could be good.

Last edited by Five-hole; 09-23-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #677
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good point earlier about Smith looking to spring Gaudreau. Could see a lot of that this season!
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #678
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
I'm warming to this too. I love Mony but he doesn't stand up for Gaudreau enough. Bennett would, no problem.

Tkachuk is as good a playmaker as Gaudreau (better maybe) and can feed Monahan in the slot all day.

I also think that Bennett and Gaudreau play the game at a similar pace. Up-tempo, forcing plays. Tkachuk and Monahan are both "slow the game down" guys and are more cerebral, waiting for a seam. Could be good.

That,them, there is an idea worth exploring
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #679
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

SOB... did Bennett get hurt last night?

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Sean Monahan and Matthew Tkachuk both on the ice for practice today. Curiously, Sam Bennett wearing a yellow no-contact jersey. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #680
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
This again. He regularly puts up as many points as , Tavares, Toews, Kopitair, Getzlaf and many other top 1c players . He is often ranked in the top ten in many lists baeed on his production.
If you mean he didn't put up as many points in his best season as most of those do in his worst then sure.

He isn't even close to any of those guys offensively except Toews, and Toews is one of the elite two way forwards in the game. I have never seen him ranked top 10. Or top 20 for that matter.

Love the guy. But he isn't one of the elite centres in the league. Not when you compare him to the top guys on teams that have won the cup.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote