Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #21
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Asterix was the best comic ever. It's all I went looking for in the library as a little kid. Tintin too, but he wasn't half as cool.
I have based whole my life on the eating habits of Obelix, drinking habits of captain Haddock, and shooting skills like lucky luke. And i'm doing great, i'm writing on calgarypuck in 4.15 in the morning.

Seems like there is no hardcore strategist on the forum who could recommend some heavy turn-based strategy game. I'm not so into magical mystery orcs or starmans of the future. A good turn-based or just realtime strategy game that is based on history is what I need. That rome total war is what I want for christmas, though.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #22
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipru View Post
I have based whole my life on the eating habits of Obelix, drinking habits of captain Haddock, and shooting skills like lucky luke. And i'm doing great, i'm writing on calgarypuck in 4.15 in the morning.

Seems like there is no hardcore strategist on the forum who could recommend some heavy turn-based strategy game. I'm not so into magical mystery orcs or starmans of the future. A good turn-based or just realtime strategy game that is based on history is what I need. That rome total war is what I want for christmas, though.
Truly, if this is what you are looking for, check out Alpha Centauri. Sure it isn't in the medieval timeline, nor historic in any sense...but it is a simply fantastic game, much better than the Civ games in my opinion.

I used to play fantasy general which was great, but no longer works with my version of windows (xp).

Edit: The Medieval total war series is also quite fun if you can handle the graphics and half turn based, half real time gameplay. I didn't like it as much because I am the empire building type with a big picture strategy as opposed to smaller warfare tactics.

Last edited by Cain; 12-15-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #23
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ogre Battle for the SNES was great.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #24
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Populous! I had that one for the SNES, and it was my introduction to the god-game genre. I was just reading that there's a version coming out for Nintendo DS. I've been putting off getting a DS, but if they do a good update of Populous, I might be tempted to get one.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #25
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I'm sort of limited in my strategy games being on a Mac.
Have you Rise of Nations?

Its from the makers of Alpha Centauri...its kind like Civ meets RTS

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #26
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have few computer games, but I really enjoy Space Empires. Have version IV. Based on an old board game, Starfire. Build ships, explore, trade conquer, research bigger better ships (100's of technologies). Can play lots of different ways.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:13 PM   #27
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Herzog Zwei!
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:33 PM   #28
mrdeeds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For some more old school computer games similar to that of Superpower would be a couple of my faves Balance of Power for the PC and Geopolitique for the Apple IIe. You could only play the US essentially vs Russia 80's Cold War style, but they were great!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #29
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

StarCraft will always be my favorite. The amount of nights where I lost sleep because I stayed up late playing it are enormous in numbers. Good game if your skill level was low, and the game got better as you learned how to actually play the damn game.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:25 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
StarCraft will always be my favorite. The amount of nights where I lost sleep because I stayed up late playing it are enormous in numbers. Good game if your skill level was low, and the game got better as you learned how to actually play the damn game.
Starcraft and Command and conquor were quite similar. Once you got to the point where you could set up 10 artillary units for defense, the battle was over.

I remember one mission on C+C 2 where if you set up your airship to bomb a specific place on the map, the enemy would continually run his units into that spot and you could build up your army relatively easily.

With Star Craft you could also win all of the maps by using the Colin Powell initiative which is also known as the tank rush.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #31
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have fallen out of the loop of StarCraft over the last few years, but when I stopped playing competitively, Terran had the advantage over Protoss, barely, and Zerg had the advantage over Terran, barely. You had to make very few mistakes as Toss to win with them, but people who were good with them could make you cry.

As a Toss player, the issue I had with Terran was the bloody Vulture, not the tanks, which could be overrun with good flanking.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:37 AM   #32
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a quick scan of the thread as it is really late here (4:30am) but has anybody mentioned "Galactic Civilizations 2" yet? Fantastic game for anybody into strategy.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #33
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone ever play M.A.X.? That and Civ2 are my favorite strategy games of all time. With a few exceptions, M.A.X. had no luck or chance involved, allowing you to calculate your turn's moves like a chess game.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:53 AM   #34
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not much of a gamer (unless it is Fireball Island), so I don't know most of the games mentioned here. The only one I play is Civ III and I love it. Just a lot of random elements: random terrain, random barbarians, random resources that pop up. Gives it infinite replay value.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #35
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh wow, I am loving that someone mentioned Transport Tycoon Deluxe. That game absolutely owned. A modernized remake of that would be totally brilliant.

StarCraft\WarCraft were certainly entertaining. Looking forward to SC2.

Heroes of Might and Magic was mentioned as well... that provided many hours of entertainment for myself.

The Masters of Orion series was another gem. I played MOO2 for way more hours than I'd like to admit.

The Civilization series was absolutely brilliant... but for some reason I pretty much sucked at it, and getting owned by barbarian hordes gets really old. :P

X-Com was a series from way back that I've absolutely loved replaying over the years.

Command & Conquer was fun, but I didn't prefer it to StarCraft.

Age of Empires was a great series. Enjoyed it a lot.

Total Annihilation was another gooder... lots of fun.
OBCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #36
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
Rome Total War is my favorite. I add the additional challenge of conquering every single city before winning. You only need fifty and Rome to win the game. Very hard to keep the armies on the move and to keep the cities happy at the same time. Once you beat it with Roman Legions you move on to doing it with inferior groups.

The battles are also against time and the cities defenses so you have to move right along and it's great fun to control so many troops and to run good plan of attack.

The multiplayer battles are also dependant on strategy.
Just have to bring this up because I bought Rome Total war and Medieval II: Total war just recently because of this thread (They just released the gold pack last week so it has ME2 + crusades expansion) Only 34.99 for the package.

And holy crap is keeping the cities happy tough in Rome total war - ME2 is domestic easy mode. Ambushes are by far my favorite, because you absolutely destroy the other army (if they don't detect it). 700 troops (mostly cavalry) vs. a 1300 full army = 1000 of them dead and 28! of my soliders killed. The Army routs in seconds and you slaughter them.

Both these games are TONS of fun.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #37
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't fired up Rome: Total War in quite a while but I still think it is on of the best games in the past few years. A lot of replay value.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #38
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rome: Total War and Medieval II are great games.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote