Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #21
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Interesting coincidence that Nick Chan gets out on bail and has a chance of all his charges getting dropped (pending appeal) and then this shooting.
https://globalnews.ca/video/4150103/...-charge-stayed

I recall that 3 of the charged, also received immunity for agreeing to testify against him. Gotta be a nervous time for them now that he's had all charges dropped and is free to look for them.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #22
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im more amazed that we're building crammed townhouses and condos at the outskirts of the city. All the negatives of inner city living with none of the positives. Are they trying to break the sub $100k value barrier or something?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #23
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Im more amazed that we're building crammed townhouses and condos at the outskirts of the city. All the negatives of inner city living with none of the positives. Are they trying to break the sub $100k value barrier or something?
This allows the modern suburb to be sustainable as the city grows outward. Density in the burbs are compatible or better to everything but true inner city.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #24
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This allows the modern suburb to be sustainable as the city grows outward. Density in the burbs are compatible or better to everything but true inner city.
Agree from a planning perspective, you're right in reducing sprawl and starting with density is better than trying to encourage it 50 years later.

That said, from a human perspective I can't fathom living that far out with nothing interesting close by. If I'm going condo - I'm going inner city.

Doesn't help that townhouse complex in the pic above was styled after a prison.

Last edited by Ducay; 04-21-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #25
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Same reason people go to Mexico for vacations. People like it cheap.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #26
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
https://globalnews.ca/video/4150103/...-charge-stayed

I recall that 3 of the charged, also received immunity for agreeing to testify against him. Gotta be a nervous time for them now that he's had all charges dropped and is free to look for them.
This might be them.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #27
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #28
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Agree from a planning perspective, you're right in reducing sprawl and starting with density is better than trying to encourage it 50 years later.
Big derail, but why? Densifying the outside of the city takes away a lot of the benefits.

Density and affordable housing in the inner city allows people who are lower income and rely on transit to have access to services and not spend an extra 2 hours a day using mediocre transit instead of spending time with their kids, an important part of setting the next generation up for success.

Why not build the burbs as sprawly as you want, but in a way they are easy to infill a d chuck in row houses later?

Densifying at the edge of the city seems like a Phoenix thing to do. I think it's a policy we'll look back on with regret.

Not to mention, as you said, these dense suburban housing projects are largely completely dreadful and undesirable.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #29
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Big derail, but why? Densifying the outside of the city takes away a lot of the benefits.

Density and affordable housing in the inner city allows people who are lower income and rely on transit to have access to services and not spend an extra 2 hours a day using mediocre transit instead of spending time with their kids, an important part of setting the next generation up for success.

Why not build the burbs as sprawly as you want, but in a way they are easy to infill a d chuck in row houses later?

Densifying at the edge of the city seems like a Phoenix thing to do. I think it's a policy we'll look back on with regret.

Not to mention, as you said, these dense suburban housing projects are largely completely dreadful and undesirable.
I think the philosophy is to slow down suburban development, and encourage more inner city development/density. It's a city initiative to bring more balance to inner city/suburban development. The costs in infrastructure for new suburban communities is costly, and would increase since there would be more communities being built at a faster rate than ideal since density wouldn't be a focus. By enforcing increased density, it takes longer for these communities to be built out, maximizing the allocated area.

As a result, it encourages developers to pursue more infill and redevelopment projects within already established communities, that already makes use of infrastructure in place.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #30
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh some people can't afford or don't see the need for a house but can't stand the inner city. I can understand that.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #31
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came in to see family supplied photos of the victims flashing gang signs, and all I found was a conversation about urban sprawl.

Leaving disappointed and will not return
Old 04-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Came in to see family supplied photos of the victims flashing gang signs, and all I found was a conversation about urban sprawl.

Leaving disappointed and will not return
Welcome to the Wild West
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #33
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
Welcome to the Wild West
The Wild Wild West at least had people that reported(gossip) the news, this happened friday and we still have no names of the victims or any other news. Does the media in this city actually have reporters who dig into things anymore?
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #34
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if it is kool moe dee's version of the WWW then i am down with that.

i wonder if the names are no longer being released by police due to privacy, same as those policy involved deaths over the past month. or does this privacy thing only extended to officer involved shootings.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #35
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #36
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Will Smith he gave up the role in Matrix for this movie.
If Will Smith lived in Calgary he would be a NE'er!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #37
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

while will smiths artistic impression of wild wild west is better than yanni - i was thinking about thsi old skool version: