Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #21
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I believe it should remain voluntary but the system needs to be better. I am not opposed to it being a yes or no question that everyone has to affirm.

I don't carry my health card(Sk) and the extra piece of paper that you have to sign and that is the only record I have that I am an organ donor. The piece of paper doesn't last long in a wallet.

There should be a system that is easy to access and records this info. There are many opportunities to capture whether you want to donate, easiest probably being drivers license renewal or possibly when you get a health card.
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...5EFDB814A3C47D

Most new licenses will have a Donor symbol on them if you are one. Mine has it now.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Information for every province:

http://www.lifepassiton.ca/how-to-become-a-donor.html
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...5EFDB814A3C47D

Most new licenses will have a Donor symbol on them if you are one. Mine has it now.
This is what I would like to see in SK as well.

In SK you have to sign a piece of paper, with a witness, put a sticker on your health card and carry both. It's archaic and almost pointless.

Last edited by speede5; 04-10-2018 at 02:26 PM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #24
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't hesitate last time I renewed license and insurance.

Recent conversation with Mother in Law that just turned 80 was, she was insinuating she told the girl at the MV she doesn't believe in it, because it costs taxpayers money to transplant organs. so weird. I could only argue her point for about 10 seconds before I let it go in disbelief. I mean, what a weird reason.

Anyways, in the show Shameless there was a funny part when Frank got a kidney(I think) transplant a few seasons ago. For those that watch the show, may remember the humor in it.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #25
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post

Recent conversation with Mother in Law that just turned 80 was, she was insinuating she told the girl at the MV she doesn't believe in it, because it costs taxpayers money to transplant organs. so weird. I could only argue her point for about 10 seconds before I let it go in disbelief. I mean, what a weird reason.

Anyways, in the show Shameless there was a funny part when Frank got a kidney(I think) transplant a few seasons ago. For those that watch the show, may remember the humor in it.
Heh, transplant wouldn't be the word I use. Well at least not at the start haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #26
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post

She's 80. She costs a lot to keep in good health. You should recommend euthanasia if she's really committed to fiscal prudence.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #27
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #28
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
She's 80. She costs a lot to keep in good health. You should recommend euthanasia if she's really committed to fiscal prudence.
I have, but my wife won't go for it.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #29
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/983761841280040961
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #30
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Just signed up. Thanks for the link.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #31
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the embed works.... but Organ donation is very important to me. When my first wife passed away at 21 I made the decision to donate her organs. A lot of solace came from knowing that a part of her still lives on through the people's lives she saved.

We are trying to get this going to spread organ donation awareness to beer leaguers. So far... lots of people have thought they were donors but have found out they weren't. They are now...

Well embed didn't so here's the direct link : https://twitter.com/BeerLeagueTalk/s...20772125851648
Old 04-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #32
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nova Scotia to become 1st in North America with automatic consent for organ donation

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...081272?cmp=rss

This means you have to actively reject donation, rather than actively be a donor. This should be a huge boost to available organs, but since we don't have that in Alberta, this is just a reminder to register and let your family know. Hopefully one day opt-out will be the standard across Canada.

Re-posting from the first page to register:
https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Pages/OTDRHome.aspx
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #33
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you aren't signed on as a donor, you're as bad, if not worse than Oilers, in my eyes. No Good!

As for me, I cannot see any downside - I'd be dead, so what do I care?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #34
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Nova Scotia to become 1st in North America with automatic consent for organ donation

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...081272?cmp=rss

This means you have to actively reject donation, rather than actively be a donor. This should be a huge boost to available organs, but since we don't have that in Alberta, this is just a reminder to register and let your family know. Hopefully one day opt-out will be the standard across Canada.

Re-posting from the first page to register:
https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Pages/OTDRHome.aspx
It’s about time. I wish we could do this here in Alberta.

And on a similar note, this Sunday is green shirt day. I would encourage everyone to take part and spread the word. It’s the anniversary of the death of Logan Boulet, one of the deceased in the Humboldt tragedy. He donated his organs and as a result there was a surge in people registering as organ donors, which is why that day was chosen.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #35
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

It's actually a bit of a pain in the ass to be a donor. At least, my encounter was a bit ridiculous. It's not something I had spent much time thinking about until someone close to me died a couple years ago because she could not get a transplant in time.

I had to renew my driver's license a couple of months later and the clerk asked me if I wanted to be a donor. As far as I recall, I signed something at a registry 15+ years ago to be a donor, but I guess I'm either crazy, or it changed. Anyway, I said I wanted to, and she asked for my AHC card. Well now, who has their AHC card? I've got my AHC # stored in my phone, but not the actual card, but that was not enough for her. Needed the card, which you have to send a request to AHC for, and then they mail it. So in other words, I could not get put on the donor list that day at the registry because I didn't have my AHC card.

So I got up to leave and told her I'd just come back after I have the AHC card because this was pretty important to me, as someone had recently died, and at that point she "bent the rules", made up a temporary card, and went ahead and renewed my DL with the donor indicator.

Pretty dumb process to go through to say that if I die, take what's useful to other people. I mean, really, I have to dig up my AHC card and then take it to the registry and update my DL to declare being a donor? It really should be a question that gets asked at any clinic or hospital. You go in for any reason, the doctor or nurse sees that you're not registered as a donor, and then asks you if you would like to be, and bingo, you're a donor. Better yet, Nova Scotia has the right idea. You have to opt out if you have some f-ed up reason why you need to take your organs with you to rot in the ground, when they could be helping your friend or neighbour or some person you've never met that might be just some person who has a young child that adores him and depends on him. Or maybe it's the child that needs the organ. I just can't comprehend how someone would say no to organ donation, and because of that, being an opt out would make more sense to me. I bet that 90% of people would be a-ok with organ donation, they just haven't jumped through the hoops (and haven't been asked).
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #36
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I signed on 30 years ago. It’s the right thing to do.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #37
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just read a story from a small town newspaper on facebook about my Aunt and Uncle and their two kids, my cousins. One was murdered in 2015 and donated his organs. The other needed a liver transplant shortly after that. She finally got her's because of the after effect of the Humbolt crash. All God's plan in their words but some pretty awesome earthly goodness along with the bad.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

4x4, and anyone else, that's why it is important to let your family members know. Even if you aren't registered, or the registry has screwed up, if you die they will still ask the family what your wishes were.

Plus it takes the shock away that if you die, and they say "4x4 wanted his tires to go to someone needy, and his steering rack for science", your family doesn't have to process that in a pretty tough time. They will be fully aware, say, "ok, that's what he told us as well" so nothing for them to deal with mentally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #39
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
4x4, and anyone else, that's why it is important to let your family members know. Even if you aren't registered, or the registry has screwed up, if you die they will still ask the family what your wishes were.

Plus it takes the shock away that if you die, and they say "4x4 wanted his tires to go to someone needy, and his steering rack for science", your family doesn't have to process that in a pretty tough time. They will be fully aware, say, "ok, that's what he told us as well" so nothing for them to deal with mentally.
"He has also asked that mourners observe a ceremonial zipper merge and alternate right of way whist leaving the pews."

Seriously though, I renewed my license on Monday and, when it comes in the mail, I will proudly have the little heart on there. I have always been a donor on my health card, but having it on the license is nice. Last time I renewed the heart wasn't an option.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some good info here on how it works:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...084937?cmp=rss