Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #61
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Replacing Backlund with Zack effing Smith would be a horrendous decision and would probably kill any faith and interest I have left in this franchise.
Pretty sure Smith is a LW as it states on his bio. So I doubt he'd be here to replace Backlund. Smith is more depth on the wing who can kill penalties and provide some additional goal scoring punch.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #62
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Smith would not be coming in to replace Brouwer. Smith would be coming in to replace Backlund. Flames are looking for a guy that can play center, score 10-20 goals, be defensively responsible, and have a decent cap hit. Smith checks those boxes off. If this happens, it feels like a prelude to moving Backlund.
"Instead of paying Backlund fair market value for being a very good player, let's expend assets for Zack Smith, who is significantly worse than Backlund, is older, overpaid, and has three years left on his contract after this season is over."

??????????????????????
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #63
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Smith would not be coming in to replace Brouwer. Smith would be coming in to replace Backlund. Flames are looking for a guy that can play center, score 10-20 goals, be defensively responsible, and have a decent cap hit. Smith checks those boxes off. If this happens, it feels like a prelude to moving Backlund.
On a team that can't play defense, he's one of their worst. Backlund is one of the best in the league.

Haaaaaard pass if that's the idea
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 11:24 AM   #64
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

My best guess is that this more smoke than fire. While I believe that BT is kicking tires, I also believe that he kicks tires on every deal available, as he should. I doubt anything materializes.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #65
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

unless Treliving has a deal for Backlund and is looking how he'd patch the lineup
Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #66
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
On a team that can't play defense, he's one of their worst. Backlund is one of the best in the league.

Haaaaaard pass if that's the idea
Why do you figure he’s one of their worst defensive players? He’s been one of their most reliable penalty killers for a long time. I’d take Smith on the PK over Brouwer anyday. This guy had 9 shorties over the last 2 full seasons. That’s just remarkable.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #67
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why the hell do we need more 3rd/4th line plugs?

Unless we're upgrading the top 6 or trading a bottom 6 for another bottom 6 what is the point? Maybe they feel they need to fill the press box with another healthy scratch every game not that Freddie is gone.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #68
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't really see a fit here with Smith. He isn't going to get anywhere close to 20 goals a season again playing off the 4th line, and he isn't going to displace anyone in the top 9 as it stands (especially given that Frolik will return).

3.25 is way too much to pay for what would essentially be a 4th liner/PK'er.

I would rather even keep Brouwer than trade him one for one for Smith. The speed upgrade would be great, but not at the expense of adding another year's worth of overpaid bottom-line players.

If you want a championship team, you identify your key players, pay them accordingly, and do the best job you can at filling the rest of the lineup with cheap and versatile players - especially some youth breaking into the league, or vets who have been cap casualties with low dollar/low term contracts on 'show me' contracts, but who still have wheels.

You don't go out and trade for pricey 4th line guys with term left on their deals. Considering that Treliving bought out Bouma, and is more than likely regretting the Brouwer signing, I don't think there is much smoke.

The only reasonable trade would be Brouwer for Smith, but considering that extra year, I personally don't make that trade. Stajan is a non-factor here - he is on an expiring contract. Lazar is cheap (and with his speed and grittiness, could end up being an effective 4th liner/PK'er down the road). I bet this rumor is complete horse poopy.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #69
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Why do you figure he’s one of their worst defensive players? He’s been one of their most reliable penalty killers for a long time. I’d take Smith on the PK over Brouwer anyday. This guy had 9 shorties over the last 2 full seasons. That’s just remarkable.
5 on 5 the Senators have been outscored 22 to 8. No regular skater is in the same stratosphere for goals allowed/60 minutes (4.05).

He gets the 5th most minutes for forwards on the pk, so that doesn't really seem like a reliable pker
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #70
Knut

Exp:

So. A notoriously poor source has linked Zach Smith to "maybe" the Flames and now we are trading Backlund. Got it.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #71
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shean Donovan.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #72
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since when is Frolik out for the season?

He isn't? Okay, then pass.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #73
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If the Flames are spending assets and making moves to acquire players because they're familiar with Dave freaking Cameron, then I strongly question Treliving's level of loyalty.
Watch, they're going to fire Gulutzen and promote Cameron to head coach, and CP's collective minds will explode.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #74
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Watch, they're going to fire Gulutzen and promote Cameron to head coach, and CP's collective minds will explode.
At least that way we'd know for sure that Treliving has lost his marbles and we can start talking in earnest about cleaning house from the top down.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #75
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't make any sense. It's like adding another 2 years of Matt Stajan's contract.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #76
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Smith was apparently a favourite of Dave Cameron, getting top 6 minutes and pp time when he was Sens coach.

I think Smith also played wing on Ottawas top line for a while
Enough with these coach recommendations and trying to resurrect past relationships with players.

Ridiculous. There are other, better available wingers on the Sens, alone.

Be smarter than this Brad.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #77
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
5 on 5 the Senators have been outscored 22 to 8. No regular skater is in the same stratosphere for goals allowed/60 minutes (4.05).

He gets the 5th most minutes for forwards on the pk, so that doesn't really seem like a reliable pker
I wouldn’t put much stock into just this season as he’s had to battle an injury and the Sens have terrible since the Turris/Duchene trade fiasco. I mean even perennial Norris trophy winner Erik Karlsson has had a rough season. If we’re looking at his overall body of work I think Zack Smith would be a definite upgrade over Troy Brouwer. In regards to his reliability on the PK, he’s been killing penalties for them for nearly his entire career, that’s pretty reliable in my books.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #78
vicarious
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Do not want Smith. The only player the Sens have that fits on the Flames roster is Stone but we don't have the assets nor would they want to give up their top scorer.
vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #79
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

To anyone talking their position and trying to posit that Smith is a replacement for Backlund, he isn't. Period.

That is not happening.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #80
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
Do not want Smith. The only player the Sens have that fits on the Flames roster is Stone but we don't have the assets nor would they want to give up their top scorer.
I would take Duchene, Karlsson, Chabot, Hoffman as well as Stone
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote