Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Flames fire Gulutzan
Yes 464 64.90%
No 251 35.10%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #761
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Keep this thread alive all season, cause if the Flames miss the playoffs its Fire Gulutzan, Flames lose in the first round in a game 6-7 situation its maybe fire Gulutzan depending who comes up available.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #762
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I originally voted no but after recent events I’d like to change my vote to yes.
And if they lose 7 in a row coming out of the break?

The problem was always the inconsistency. One winning streak isn't enough to change my mind (yet).
Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 PM   #763
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
What are you talking about? Seriously, man.

The job of the GM is to set the roster...period. He does so, obvioulsy, within the parameters of consultation with all coaches, management etc. the bottom line however is that all roster decisions come down to the GM"s call.

Game day rosters are on the coach...thats it.
The job of the GM is to bring in players from which the coach builds a team he will play games with. The coach picks out of the 50 contracts that are available to him. I get that there are waiver considerations etc, but that did not apply to any of the change made this year. Most reasons why Janko wasnt here were poor excuses for a mistake.

There is no evidence that it was BT that wanted Janko in the AHL. It was a poor call on GG's part.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #764
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Huge streak, I am willing to give him this season but if they scrape into the playoffs in a WC spot or miss the playoffs then its time to say good bye. Lately the PK has been unreal.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #765
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
The job of the GM is to bring in players from which the coach builds a team he will play games with. The coach picks out of the 50 contracts that are available to him. I get that there are waiver considerations etc, but that did not apply to any of the change made this year. Most reasons why Janko wasnt here were poor excuses for a mistake.

There is no evidence that it was BT that wanted Janko in the AHL. It was a poor call on GG's part.

Dude...you are just....wrong.

It is ENTIRELY up to the GM on who gets contracts, who stays in Calgary and who gets sent down or waived.

It is standard operating procedure for each and every NHL team.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #766
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For the record, I am not advocating that they make a coaching change during this streak. But if they go back to playing like they did a month ago then you have to consider it.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #767
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
For the record, I am not advocating that they make a coaching change during this streak. But if they go back to playing like they did a month ago then you have to consider it.
At this point its now a off-season move. I have a big feeling Joel Quenneville is going to be available.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #768
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Dude...you are just....wrong.

It is ENTIRELY up to the GM on who gets contracts, who stays in Calgary and who gets sent down or waived.

It is standard operating procedure for each and every NHL team.
Yes up to the GM to give contracts etc But it is the coach that sets the roster. It is the coach that says, so and so need to get sent down because I have better options.

Why is this even a discussion? Its beyond bizarre to think that the coach has no say which AHL players to keep to start he season and which vets to sit.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #769
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes up to the GM to give contracts etc But it is the coach that sets the roster. It is the coach that says, so and so need to get sent down because I have better options.

Why is this even a discussion? Its beyond bizarre to think that the coach has no say which AHL players to keep to start he season and which vets to sit.
He has a say but the GM makes the decision
This is fact. Not an opinion. Not speculation. Fact
It’s a discussion because you are wrong and won’t admit it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #770
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
At this point its now a off-season move. I have a big feeling Joel Quenneville is going to be available.
I agree. The team has put up enough fight to give everyone hope.

If the team plays well and we dont go back to seeing the nonsense we saw earlier then I am fine keeping GG. Nothing personal, I just want the team to play well.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #771
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure, because you're wrong.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #772
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
And if they lose 7 in a row coming out of the break?

The problem was always the inconsistency. One winning streak isn't enough to change my mind (yet).
The snek thread suggests they are more consistent this year
Apart from winning every game what does consistency look like to you?
Old 01-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #773
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

LOL, so the coach has no say in what players he has at his disposal fit his system and it is up to the GM to scribble the starting roster. OK then....
Old 01-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #774
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL, so the coach has no say in what players he has at his disposal fit his system and it is up to the GM to scribble the starting roster. OK then....
Again
The coach does have the say
The gm makes the decision on player movement including who gets sent down
Put down the shovel
Old 01-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #775
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Of course the GM and his support staff and the coaches and their support staff
all talk about every player...but in the end, and again its not up for debate, every personnel decision is up to the GM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 PM   #776
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Again
The coach does have the say
The gm makes the decision on player movement including who gets sent down
Put down the shovel
Lets back this truck back. We are still debating who made the call to send Janko down right? If GG said I want him here, he would have been there. No?

BT did not say NO you can't have him. At least I dont think he did. Is that what you guys are saying?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #777
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving cleared out the two situations that were festering. The Hamilton thing and the Jagr thing that wasn't working and he read the riot act to the coach.
The coach then had a clean slate and used the opportunity for the big button push with the stick throw to his point across and get that extra out of some guys. It's worked like the talk last year did. Flames still gave up points by blowing leads against division opponents as part of this streak but have pushed through it.

This is a case of the roster playing to its shown ability and what most expected what would be most nights this year. Continued rock solid goaltending in all this helps too.

Can he push buttons required of players without resorting to saving it to a single annual outburst? Can he beat the Oilers in a couple weeks?
Unlike Hartley's roster or even last year's roster, this is the level we expected them to play night in and night out, so they aren't over achieving in my opinion like previous few years rosters have.

So when this team takes a dip, and the issues stem from up front first, can he get them back on track quicker then he has shown earlier this season?
Hartley beat this his team up too much, GG didn't seem to them enough, both severity wise and frequency wise until the stick throw a couple weeks ago.

Last edited by browna; 01-14-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #778
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know what happened but Gulutzan had turned into a different coach. Maybe for the 1st half of the season he was MIA and a robot was behind the bench.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #779
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lets back this truck back. We are still debating who made the call to send Janko down right? If GG said I want him here, he would have been there. No?

BT did not say NO you can't have him. At least I dont think he did. Is that what you guys are saying?
Not gonna speculate on things I simply don’t know
Gg could have said I want him
Bt could have said ok but for now he needs to go down
Beats me
But it is the gms call
Old 01-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #780
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Of course the GM and his support staff and the coaches and their support staff
all talk about every player...but in the end, and again its not up for debate, every personnel decision is up to the GM.
It is not a one man call. BT or GG or whoever. It is always a collaboration.
My point is that if GG wanted Janko to start, as he had earned, he would have started with the team. I dont believe that BT made that call to not allow GG to have him.
IMO it was GG that made that call. That was a mistake.
Same with playing Bart. Or Brouwer on the PP. All GG's decisions.
Closed Thread