Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #141
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CP better find a new whipping boy for the 2017-2018 season. I expect Brouwer to turn it around big time.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #142
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Friedman: Flames maybe one of the teams interested in Duchene?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
CP better find a new whipping boy for the 2017-2018 season. I expect Brouwer to turn it around big time.

I wish I had your optimism. If it were just a case of being snake bitten or fighting through an injury I'd have some faith he could bounce back, but Brouwer looked to me like a classic case of a guy who earned his big payday and is now mailing it in.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #143
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I wish I had your optimism. If it were just a case of being snake bitten or fighting through an injury I'd have some faith he could bounce back, but Brouwer looked to me like a classic case of a guy who earned his big payday and is now mailing it in.
Well we will know within the first 20 games if he is last years version or the Brouwer that Treliving and management expected.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #144
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I can see the Avs being interested in Brodie, but he's coming off a rough season and I wouldn't want Treliving to sell low.
cannon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #145
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
I can see the Avs being interested in Brodie, but he's coming off a rough season and I wouldn't want Treliving to sell low.
You think using Brodie to get Duchene is selling low?
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #146
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Sam bennett had 36 points as a 19 year old. Duchene had 41 points as a 26 year old...

Sorry but you cant cherry pick the stats you like to prove your point.
I don't think using stats for Bennett at all is a measuring stick. As a first year centre he played 3rd line with pretty much slugs, he needs to be with faster more skilled guys to maximize his talent.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #147
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Well then, I wonder how closely you were actually paying attention. Before his hand injury Brouwer was playing with Bennett and both of them were on pace for around 40 points. Brouwer scored 8 goals and 17 points in his first 36 games. After returning from injury a month later, he scored 5 goals and 8 points in his final 38 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Well we will know within the first 20 games if he is last years version or the Brouwer that Treliving and management expected.
Honestly, it is virtually impossible for Brouwer to be any worse this year than last season. He and Bennet both were actually quite good through the first 10 weeks of the season. Brouwer WAS the player that Treliving signed in the first 20 games he played in Calgary last year. He was one of the team's top scoring forwards at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-14-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #148
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
You think using Brodie to get Duchene is selling low?
Yes, very low, actually. Duchene+ is selling Brodie low as well. I haven't been impressed with Duchene for some time, has become a lazy inconsistent player.
cannon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #149
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

you guys forget that Brouwer was good to start the season last year. As things wore on he fell down the roster and his play dropped off a cliff but in the first 15ish games he scored at a decently high rate and it looked like a shrewed move by Treliving.

There is really no reason he cant return to that form. He is big and gritty and such. But its up to him. He needs to have the fire in him himself. He needs to be pissed off and go win his role back. If Brouwer becomes who we thought he would be, we dont need Iginla or anyone else. But it remains to be seen.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #150
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Two points
1. Its hard to look at Duchene (or any Colorado player) and not see the team as a whole last year. Any of their star players is likely to rebound significantly with another team in my opinion.
2. Brouwer broke his hand last year, and as noted was on pace for his career average points wise. He'll likely return to exactly what the Flames expect from him this season.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #151
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely expect Brouwer to do better. Last year was the worst of his career and he broke his finger. Remember the first few games of the season where he looked like the only guy actually trying?

If he repeats last year's performance I'll worry, but so far last season wasn't a trend it was an anomoly. Even come February ish he started looking better again, still wasn't putting up the points but making really good plays away from the puck

Last edited by btimbit; 07-14-2017 at 10:24 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #152
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any deal involving Duchy would need to involve Brouwer and Stajan for cap purposes. So I can't see a deal there
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #153
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stajan and Brower for Duchene works for me!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #154
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

We joke, but adding Stajan & Brouwer to a group experiencing such disarray would likely be just what that club needs. Guys to stabilize and lead.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #155
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
I don't think using stats for Bennett at all is a measuring stick. As a first year centre he played 3rd line with pretty much slugs, he needs to be with faster more skilled guys to maximize his talent.
Love Bennett. But I also think you can't use Duchenes stats from last year as sole comparison. Players have up and down years all the time. If this is the case flames and avs should consider each player traded for Marchessault

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #156
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Figure it's either Backlund or Duchene, or Bennett or Duchene. I don't think Colorado takes on a bunch of wingers, and I can't see the Flames carrying all these extra centres.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #157
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Figure it's either Backlund or Duchene, or Bennett or Duchene. I don't think Colorado takes on a bunch of wingers, and I can't see the Flames carrying all these extra centres.
Based on interviews with Treliving I think that if given the choice he would build his entire forward lineup with centres.

But I don't think there is any realistic possibility of a trade for Duchene happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #158
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since Flames are low on picks, I don't see how we could do this without giving up Backlund or Brodie... I'm not sure I'm a fan of that swap.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #159
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Yes, very low, actually. Duchene+ is selling Brodie low as well. I haven't been impressed with Duchene for some time, has become a lazy inconsistent player.
That whole team became lazy and inconsistent 2 years ago.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #160
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
here's my third theory.

The contract was terrible the moment it was signed. He was never worth it. What you're seeing, is Brouwer. Not mailing it in, or even a down season. Just the player he is. He could "rebound" in the same way Lance Bouma might get lucky and score 10 goals in a season again, but it doesn't make him a good player.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote