Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #10641
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For me the question is whether Hayes is better than Backlund, not whether he's better than Ferland.

6'05 defensively responsible centre/wingers that score 25 goals don't grow on trees.

If you swapped Hayes for Brodie this season the Flames are a playoff team IMO.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #10642
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
Why do some posters insist on trading Janko after less than a year.
Nobody is insisting Janko is traded. But some of us realize that if you want to get a difference maker in a trade, you have to give up quality. A genuine top-six forward who isn't over 30 will cost something good from the Flames. Something that hurts to give up.

Ryan O'Reilly, for instance, would instantly become the 2nd or 3rd best player on the Flames roster. The guy centred a line for Canada in the World Cup, for pete's sake. Anyone who think the Flames could get him without giving up one of their 5 or 6 best players and/or a top prospect is dreaming.

Or look at Bjugstad. Or Hayes, These guys are the 6th or 7th best players on their teams, and just entering their prime. Is it madness to the suggest the Flames might have to up their 6th or 7th best player, or a top prospect, to reach a deal?

Do people ever stop to wonder why, if the Flames have 8 or 9 players that are too good to trade for anything but another team's top 3 or 4 players, the Flames finished 20th in the league this year?

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-23-2018 at 11:20 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #10643
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't get the argument though, or why Ferland was even brought up.

In Flash's proposal he didn't trade away Ferland or any forward for that matter except Brouwer.

So, we would have both Hayes and Ferland. And also Fast.

Plus, if Brendan Smith can be salvaged he helps fill the void left by Brodie, if Kulak, Kylington or Valaimaki can't.

He's added two useful forwards to the top 9 without removing any.

Still not sure if I would do that trade, but I get where he's coming from.
My fear would be that if Hayes isn't a material upgrade then you aren't solving the core problem as I assume Ferland would just become a more typical 4th liner away from JG.

My theory is the Flames need a big upgrade in that slot.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #10644
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames were 27th in the NHL in goals for, and they can't fit a 25 year old RW who scored 25 goals into their lineup?

Would we prefer James Neal (same 25-19-44 stat line as Hayes this season), at 5.75 mil/year from age 31-34? Because he's the best UFA likely to be available at RW.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #10645
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
But who?
Old 04-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #10646
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My fear would be that if Hayes isn't a material upgrade then you aren't solving the core problem as I assume Ferland would just become a more typical 4th liner away from JG.

Yeah, I'd love a stud RW for the top line too, but in this case it's an upgrade because it adds depth, as in if Hayes plays top line RW, you now have Ferland in the bottom six.

Seeing as that was the weakest point on the roster this season, I'd consider it an upgrade for that alone. Plus you add Fast into the bottom six as well.

Plus you have the added versatility of Hayes being able to play center as well if needed, which Ferland certainly cannot do.

Not to mention, this is all just assuming that Hayes = Ferland in the top 6, when there is the very real possibility that he ends up being an upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #10647
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

People were advocating hard for Hoffman. Hayes checks a lot of the same boxes, just in a lesser way.

Less career offence but 3 years younger, huge, can centre if needed and maybe trending upwards based on last year.

His production was very consistent considering he was given different linemates on a constant basis by AV.

Last edited by GioforPM; 04-23-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #10648
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sounds like Alex Nylander might not be long for Buffalo.

Was on the 4th line and then benched for the 3rd period, while the Rochester Americans were trailing by one goal in an AHL playoff game. Sabres upper management was there watching the game too.

Might be getting to the point where a change of scenery needs to be tried.

Didn’t Burke say that Alex is better than his older brother at the time of the draft?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #10649
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Didn’t Burke say that Alex is better than his older brother at the time of the draft?
was probably hoping the Oilers would reach at 3.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #10650
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read here somewhere before that Slava Voynov wants back in the NHL, hasn't re-signed in Russia yet.

Reportedly the Kings have no interest, but Voynov apparently has interest in 5 teams in particular.

Panthers, Habs, Jets, Islanders and Rangers.

The Jets are a contender now, but that still doesn't make much sense for them to be lumped in with those other eastern teams.

Flames have a lot of right hand D, but an asset is an asset. I know he did a slimy thing, and many here won't agree with me, but I don't think I'd be sad if Calgary snagged him. Good mobile right handed PMD still in his prime, which would then allow Calgary to deal D for forward help without weakening the overall roster.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #10651
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Read here somewhere before that Slava Voynov wants back in the NHL, hasn't re-signed in Russia yet.

Reportedly the Kings have no interest, but Voynov apparently has interest in 5 teams in particular.

Panthers, Habs, Jets, Islanders and Rangers.

The Jets are a contender now, but that still doesn't make much sense for them to be lumped in with those other eastern teams.

Flames have a lot of right hand D, but an asset is an asset. I know he did a slimy thing, and many here won't agree with me, but I don't think I'd be sad if Calgary snagged him. Good mobile right handed PMD still in his prime, which would then allow Calgary to deal D for forward help without weakening the overall roster.
If I am Voynov, I see Hamilton/Hamonic/Stone in my way. I'd choose a different team.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #10652
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also said this in the Bennett thread but it applies here as well.

One player I would like Treliving to make a call about is Bryan Rust. RFA this summer and the Pens only have about 4.5M cap going into next season wth 5-6 slots to be filled. Rust is probably due for a raise to 3.5-4.5M. I'm sure the Pens would rather retain him than trade him but might as well make the call. Rust could be a great pair with Bennett or on the top line with Mony and Johnny.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #10653
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Big no to Bryan Rust or any other ex-Crosby linemates.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #10654
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Yeah, I tend to agree... Playing with Crosby and/or Malkin makes it pretty difficult to assess the actual value of a player.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #10655
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rust is an example of the type of player you'd hope your system could produce consistently on ELCs.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #10656
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree with the Crosby concerns. However from the time I've watched Rust I think he is the type of player our roster needs to add. He has a endless motor and the speed to go with it. He has been a great complimentary piece to Crosby and I think he would do great on the RW of our top line. Also think him an Bennett would make a great pair lower in the line up. A RW RS with speed is definitely a need for our roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Rust is an example of the type of player you'd hope your system could produce consistently on ELCs.
I agree. Unfortunately the Flames haven't been able to replicate this.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #10657
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I agree. Unfortunately the Flames haven't been able to replicate this.
All it takes is an opportunity. Foo and Dube both look poised.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #10658
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Would you be willing to go into the season with the same group of forwards as last season with the addition of one of those guys ? I personally am not. We don't have the depth to bank on them coming in and making immediate impact. The stage the team is in right now id personally rather have some more proven performers. I do however believe they need every opportunity to make the roster in camp, and first shot with injuries. No more over the hump veterans as our fill ins for injury.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #10659
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Mangiapane also. Over a point per game in the AHL at 21 is nothing to sneeze at.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #10660
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Would you be willing to go into the season with the same group of forwards as last season with the addition of one of those guys ? I personally am not. We don't have the depth to bank on them coming in and making immediate impact. The stage the team is in right now id personally rather have some more proven performers. I do however believe they need every opportunity to make the roster in camp, and first shot with injuries. No more over the hump veterans as our fill ins for injury.
This is a great question. Especially with Janko and Bennett once again vying for the 3rd line center role. Is Tre comfortable gambling the season on one of these two anchoring an effective 3rd line? Or does he look to trade for a top 6 center like O'Reilly, or sign one via UFA, like Tavares, Stastny...or more realistically a guy like Bozak?

Personally, if our center depth going into next season is:

Monahan
Backlund
Jankowski
Bennett

I will not not be filled to the brim with confidence, that's for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread