Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #241
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah. I didn’t think I was overdoing it. Next year I am definitely getting a gym membership for the winter.

I will take some time off. My goal is at least 4x a week with no recovery pains. I started off pretty strong last spring/summer and there were no problems, except the heat & smoke.
10% rule. Good for the gym and for running.

Obviously there are other issues at play given your shoe wear pattern, and many people will have weakness or mechanical issues that will lead to injury, but starting at 40+ minutes will amplify any little issue twenty-fold.

I've been there way too many times (runners are stubborn you know). But #1 continuing running is far better than your fitness than stopping due to injury and #2, walk/runs and starting slow are surprisingly good for your aerobic capacity. You don't need to (and literally can't) run high effort runs every time.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 AM   #242
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many miles are on your shoes? The wear pattern does show an uneven stride but it could be your shoes are just worn out. Worn out shoes could be related to the knee pain as well though in your case my internet diagnosis is too much too soon.

Shoes generally with a high degree of variance between brands and users around 800-1000km
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #243
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a couple of sets of Sauconys. I only wore the one pair running a handful of times. The Peregrine Ice maybe have 60k+ on them, although I did wear them while walking during winter. My Ride 9 have 325k+ running and whatever unrecorded walking. To clarify the wear isn’t on the outside, it’s the fabric layer on the inside that is supposed to be soft. I guess it could have been something stuck in my sock. I am just hoping to fix it before getting a blister from it.

My knee on the other hand is painful to walk on, but tolerable. I will probably just ice it at work and see how a long walk feels today.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #244
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I am almost pain free in my knee. I am hearing and feeling a disconcerting click / pop sound when bending my knee. It’s a very specific location and repeatable (at about 90 deg). In fact, I spend my spare time bending my leg back and forth listening to it out of fascination. Anyway, should I be concerned? Is this need to visit a doctor kind of stuff or should I just test it out once there is no more pain? One odd thing about trying to stretch it, it feels fine, but once I relax it and wait a few moments and stretch again it’s still slightly sore.

If I do test it out next week with another run and it’s not fine, should I see a doctor first or make an appointment with a physio-type person first? What’s the best approach?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #245
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is you IT band tight? It's the muscle that runs from your hip to you knee on the outside of your leg. Try rolling it out to see if it's tight

I'd go physio first unless you have a doctor that happens to be really good a sports injuries. I have not found the generic family doctor good for athletic injuries (sample size of 2)
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #246
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is you IT band tight? It's the muscle that runs from your hip to you knee on the outside of your leg. Try rolling it out to see if it's tight

I'd go physio first unless you have a doctor that happens to be really good a sports injuries. I have not found the generic family doctor good for athletic injuries (sample size of 2)
I'll echo this. Most doctors don't have much training in musculoskeletal and the ones that do (sports med) don't treat, only refer.

Clicking/popping means nothing unless it's painful during the noise.

Some injuries can get away without some therapy but 100% of people benefit in some way from physio (assuming a decent therapist). There will be one if not several things for you to work on to speed healing and get you back to running faster.

The biggest problem with rehab is going from rest and getting things better day-to-day to going to loading it again (ie running). Rest will only help so much.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #247
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

My knees click quite often too, though not as often as it sounds like it is for you. I wouldn't worry about it until there is pain. I'm of the opinion that the body is good at telling you when something is wrong - pain means things are bad, no pain means it's all good.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #248
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Cool thread.. Just discovered it. I'm a pretty casual runner but its something I enjoy. I tend to go in fits and spurts alternating with cycling and gym (or just being lazy) depending on what I'm into/training for.

Anybody try those new nike epic reacts yet? I know most ppl who are hardcore shun the nicer looking adidas and nike runners as casual shoes but as someone who lives in the 5-10k range I figure I might give a pair a try and just have really nice casual/weekend shoes if they aren't my thing. I ran in lunarglides a few years ago and I really liked them but the foam wore out fast and it felt like i was running in frees. Might grab a pair tomorrow and give them a shot.

Last edited by Matty81; 04-11-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #249
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

For a science-based runner selection:

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/49/20/1290.long

Quote:
Studies assessing comfort of shoe/insert conditions have shown that:29 ,59 ,63

Different subjects select different shoe conditions as the most comfortable. There are different functional groups of athletes that need different construction features to feel comfortable in a shoe (eg, some subjects like a medial support, some like no medial support).

Shoe conditions that are more comfortable are associated with a lower movement-related injury frequency than shoe conditions that are less comfortable.

Shoe conditions that are comfortable are associated with less oxygen consumption than shoe conditions that are less comfortable.

Comfort is difficult to define and to quantify. However, it seems that shoe comfort is important for running injuries as well as running performance.
So don't let the salesperson (running room is bad for this) put you in a shoe based on your pronation. That same study discusses that there is no evidence that picking a shoe based on pronation or on firmness of sole will reduce injury. Only comfort.

Highly recommend a place like Forzani's that lets you run on the treadmill with the shoes. Otherwise take them home and try a few treadmill runs before deciding.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #250
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Makes sense to prioritize subjective comfort. I always find it hard to quantify comfort reliably in store or even on on my first few runs before the shoes are broken in though. I am a neutral striker and have found that the newer foam shoes with the knit uppers the larger companies are pitching to be quite comfortable for the most part though as long as there is some structure to the upper (i wouldn't be able to run in those ultra boost uncageds personally for example).

Last year I tried nike air max running shoes for the first time and found them way too stabilized for me and actually surprisingly hard. I got conned into thinking they were more cushiony but despite the bulky midsole those air cushions are hard. If I hadn't liked my lunarglides so much I wouldnt be going back to nike.
I know many ppl seem to swear by the vomeros as well. The air maxes are beautiful shoes though now that they are decommisioned as runners

Last edited by Matty81; 04-11-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #251
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I often wonder if people change shoes or if they stay with a brand/model that feels good.

I have worn Mizuno Wave Riders for years, I just keep buying new ones as they get old/worn out.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #252
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have gone through at least 10 pairs of Saucony Kinvara over the last decade or so. They fit me great and are comfortable. Until they change something important I will likely keep buying them.
An added advantage is that if you know the exact model you keep buying you can ask if they have any older models in the back and save a bunch of money.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #253
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Kinvara's are also my go to summer runner. Great for anything from 5-42 kms.
I'm usually a model behind also because I buy the older model and usually buy 2-3 pairs of them. Huge savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I have gone through at least 10 pairs of Saucony Kinvara over the last decade or so. They fit me great and are comfortable. Until they change something important I will likely keep buying them.
An added advantage is that if you know the exact model you keep buying you can ask if they have any older models in the back and save a bunch of money.
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #254
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty windy this weekend but great for some sunny running.

Eyeball the wall run was also today as people gear up for the Calgary marathon.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #255
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Today was hotter than I expected. Probably would have been a bit more comfortable if I wore shorts and a t-shirt. My buff modifications (cut 2 slits along the sides, so the buff / neck gaiter can slide down and underneath a collarless shirt) did a good job protecting my neck from chafing because of my backpack.

Knee felt better. Wasn't 100% sure it would be okay, but managed to do about 7km along Nose Hill. It became a little sore, but was bearable. Recovery was good. Took a shower, iced it a bit, and feel pretty good. Time was better, but not intentional. Just going with what is comfortable.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #256
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Eyeball the Wall was a beautiful run! Had a blast running my first 15 km run ever!

I have to say I'm getting addicted to running
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #257
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I MUST RUN OUTSIDE TODAY. I had the shakes yesterday from not running.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #258
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is definitely shaping up for shorts and T-shirts. Glad I brought the shorts with me or this could get uncomfortably sweaty.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #259
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Today is definitely shaping up for shorts and T-shirts. Glad I brought the shorts with me or this could get uncomfortably sweaty.
Only today? I have been running in shorts and t shirt for a week now.

Anyone have a good pair of blue tooth head phones for running? If it makes any difference I find any apple head phones fall out of my hears too easily.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #260
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Only today? I have been running in shorts and t shirt for a week now.

Anyone have a good pair of blue tooth head phones for running? If it makes any difference I find any apple head phones fall out of my hears too easily.
I use a pair of Bose sound sport in ear headphones. I struggle a little bit with my right earpiece fitting in but for the most part, it fits well.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote