Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #81
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I assume that in this CPL league, as an example if Calgary won the CPL "Table", they would then will play MLS teams the CONCACAF Champions League?

Also, would all CPL team be eligible for the Canadian Soccer Championships against the 3 MLS teams?
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #82
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Presumably yes in both cases, since this league would be FIFA/CONCACAF and Soccer Canada approved.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #83
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would assume that all Canadian Premier League clubs would participate in the Canadian Championship.

As for the CONCACAF Champions League, I would hope the winner of the CPL would get a spot, but they may not. It's possible they would have to qualify through winning the CONCACAF League. Guess we will know that in time.

As of now, the only way a Canadian team can qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League is by winning the Canadian Championship. For example, if Toronto FC win MLS Cup, but Vancouver wins the Canadian Championship, Vancouver qualifies and Toronto FC does not.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #84
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

CPL has announced the formation of "Canadian Soccer Business", which will oversee the commercial side of things. Hamilton Tiger-Cats president Scott Mitchell will be the CEO of CSB.

Quote:
Canadian Soccer Business now represents the following:
  • On behalf of Canada Soccer, all corporate partnerships and media rights for Women’s and Men’s National Team Programs
  • All commercial assets of the CPL including partnership and media assets of each club within the league
  • A collection of naming rights opportunities at new and renovated CPL stadiums
  • The Canadian Championship – Canada’s professional club championship that features all Canadian professional clubs with the winner qualifying for Concacaf Champions League
  • Grassroots programs that reach millions of Canadians playing the world’s game from coast to coast
http://canpl.ca/media?utm_source=soc...campaign=csbpr

Also, another article explicitly identifying markets. From what I've heard, 7 of these are either ready to announce, or getting very close.

Quote:
Halifax, Ottawa, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Moncton, Victoria, Quebec City, Mississauga, Fraser Valley, Kitchener-Waterloo, and York Region (Toronto) have been mentioned as possible locations for inaugural or future CPL clubs.
http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/...cer-properties

Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #85
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

York 9 will be announced May 10. I've heard rumours that most of the teams will be announced after the CSA AGM the first weekend of May, and this supports those rumours.

Source: https://twitter.com/York9FCSG/status/988456328694710272

Last edited by shermanator; 04-23-2018 at 12:18 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #86
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. Any new rumblings about the potential Calgary team? Previous posts seems to suggest that Calgary is in, they won't play at McMahon, and the Flames/Stampeders won't be involved. Any other tasty bits of info floating around?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #87
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If by rumblings, you mean the soccer folks behind the operation telling me directly, yes I have heard rumblings. I know who the owner is, I know where they will play, I know how the PDL team fits into the grand scheme of things, and I met with people involved with the league to talk marketing back in January. Don't want to say anything in case things change between now and an official announcement. But all things mentioned in the previous post are still the case.

As far as a club announcement date, I've been given three different dates, one of which has already passed, so I am just going to ignore any talk on that and wait until an official invite to the announcement or the announcement itself.

The current rumours floating around based on recent trademarks being filed by the league is that the club will be called either Calgary FC, or Cavalry FC. Should either of these be the actual name, my reaction will either be "good, they listened to my suggestions" or "wtf, they wanted to meet with supporters to talk marketing didn't even listen to the suggestions".

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #88
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If by rumblings, you mean the soccer folks behind the operation telling me directly, yes I have heard rumblings. I know who the owner is, I know where they will play, I know how the PDL team fits into the grand scheme of things, and I met with people involved with the league to talk marketing back in January. Don't want to say anything in case things change between now and an official announcement. But all things mentioned in the previous post are still the case.

As far as a club announcement date, I've been given three different dates, one of which has already passed, so I am just going to ignore any talk on that and wait until an official invite to the announcement or the announcement itself.

The current rumours floating around based on recent trademarks being filed by the league is that the club will be called either Calgary FC, or Cavalry FC. Should either of these be the actual name, my reaction will either be "good, they listened to my suggestions" or "wtf, they wanted to meet with supporters to talk marketing didn't even listen to the suggestions".
I'm trying to keep your ass covered. I know you've got some good info under wraps.

With your good relationship with Foothills, and now you mention the PDL, I would imagine that Foothills will have their mitts all over this, if not being a/the primary stakeholder. This is just my guess, of course.

Please tell me that the rumoured modular stadium will be within Calgary's city limits, preferably in a good location to access, and not Okotoks or somewhere silly.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #89
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Can I just say that "Calvary FC" would be a tremendously awful name? Either go with the European style ("Calgary FC") or the North American style ("Calgary Calvary"). Don't try to mix the two.

Also, I'd love to see one of these teams have the balls to properly call the team either "Calgary SC", or in the alternative, "Calgary AFC". Because "Calgary FC" is the Stampeders.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #90
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm trying to keep your ass covered. I know you've got some good info under wraps.

With your good relationship with Foothills, and now you mention the PDL, I would imagine that Foothills will have their mitts all over this, if not being a/the primary stakeholder. This is just my guess, of course.

Please tell me that the rumoured modular stadium will be within Calgary's city limits, preferably in a good location to access, and not Okotoks or somewhere silly.
From what I know, there will be a new modular stadium, within city limits, near a major arterial road. Fully paid for by the owner as well, which I think will get a lot of positive attention to the club given the Flames arena fight going on right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Can I just say that "Calvary FC" would be a tremendously awful name? Either go with the European style ("Calgary FC") or the North American style ("Calgary Calvary"). Don't try to mix the two.

Also, I'd love to see one of these teams have the balls to properly call the team either "Calgary SC", or in the alternative, "Calgary AFC". Because "Calgary FC" is the Stampeders.
Agreed. IMO, Cavalry FC would be a terrible name. I actually really like "York 9". My suggestion to the league was to call the team "Calgary Olympic", but that is trademarked by the IOC.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #91
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Announcement tomorrow? 16 Hours From now is 6 A.M. EST..

http://canpl.ca/
Old 04-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #92
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Whoops, wrong thread for my initial post - I am interested to see what happens tomorrow though, I hope they can manage at least 8 teams or so. I'd love to see a team here in the valley but we only have 350k or so ppl and 150k of those are 45-60 minutes out, think we might be too little for a pro team. I actually don't mind the Calvary name, to me unless the name is really dopey it doesn't matter that much though, it's more about the community, stadium and way the team is managed. Unless they are wearing a giant oil drop and blue/orange in which case all bets are off.

Last edited by Matty81; 04-26-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #93
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the launch of their website, as well as their logo. I think it looks damn good, although it is a little weird that there is no red!

Also, note the "First Club Announcement" countdown on the CPL website, which counts down to May 10.

https://twitter.com/CPLsoccer/status/989808843537383430

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #94
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

That logo is too complicated. But I'm being nit-picky.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #95
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Agreed. The all-red version is a bit better though: https://twitter.com/CPLsoccer/status/989810179159085056
Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #96
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Like the logo, really love the red version and I kinda like that it’s reserved for Canada Day and other special games where teams are representing the league.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #97
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

+1 for the all red logo. Not a fan of logos with 3 or more colours. Makes it too messy in it's application unless it's framed.

Really excited to see what Calgary has to announce. I've been in withdrawal after living in Toronto for the first 5 years of TFC.

mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #98
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's a wonder you are still a soccer fan at all after suffering through the first five years of TFC.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #99
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It's a wonder you are still a soccer fan at all after suffering through the first five years of TFC.
Could be worse. They could be a Whitecaps supporter.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:10 AM   #100
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Hellard Field on a "major atrey"?