Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 01:30 PM   #6781
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was weird, they did the section from 5th ave up to 16th ave the day after my request...and left everything else. Then they finished it yesterday.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #6782
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I was going to ride out to Chestermere but they've closed off the Canal Path from Glenmore to 84th. It's supposed to reopen May 1st.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #6783
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I was going to make this ride this morning, so I am glad you provided this update. It would have been a tough ride out to chestermere this morning, but an easy ride back.

Did a recon ride from my house in new Brighton to Blackfoot and southland as I want to ride to work this week. A few observations:
. It is odd looking down at such a skinny front tire after a winter on the fat bike, it is also an adjustment to the quicker steering on the commuter
. On the bow river pathway, there was still about a 100 for section that is really slow to finsih melting, it is in wide open sunshine, so it should be clear by Tuesday at the latest. You can ride thru it, but it will be dicey in the morning
. The Mackenzie escarpment, they have been working on that for what seems like two years now, are they tunneling to China?
. By river end where they did a bunch of work last year - they left a lot of mud on the path. That section will be greasy when it rains
. My gut - it felt Ike I was riding with a baby Bjorne....I really need to not be so fat
. Despite my plodding pace, strava tells me my ride this morning produced a few personal bests. I will nee to read the fine print
. Did I mention that I need to lose weight?
. ,outs of lose gravel on the path by the baseball diamonds, I hope that at one point the city cleans it up as it seems like a recipe for a flat tire
. Lots of “people paradigm” issues this morning - this is when you are riding by yourself and then just as you are coming up to someone going the same way as you, a person approaches going the other way. The amount of times that happens is about the same as going to your locker at the gym, only to have someone else follow you in and their locker is right beside yours
. I nee to lose weight.....
Old 04-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #6784
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ I was going to make this ride this morning, so I am glad you provided this update. It would have been a tough ride out to chestermere this morning, but an easy ride back.
As I mentioned on Strava, I saw you on my Tim Horton's run. Nice work getting out early.

I did end up riding out to Chestermere this afternoon. Since I couldn't get on to the the canal path from 52nd, I detoured down 114th, over to 84th and connected to the path from there. There's a mostly finished multi-use pathway along 114th that will take you to 84th. I opted for the road because I hate crossing side streets from those paths. It feels more dangerous than just staying on the road.

Canal path is pretty decent until you hit RR284 by the tree farm. There are still a bunch of drifts/puddles on 1 side of the path for a about 1km. The path going under the bridge has a big chunk of ice too so take the above route over the road. Other than that and the wind it was good to be back on that path.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #6785
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Any recommendations for a pannier rack? I want some sturdy. Not completely ugly.

It's for this bike:
Spoiler!

Last edited by KTrain; 04-22-2018 at 08:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #6786
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Made a minor upgrade to my Thunderbolt today as I replaced both flip skewers with thru bolts. Does it ever look clean at the hubs now.

It a little more work now to take off the wheels, but I carry a multi-tool and I figure if I am taking off the wheels trail side, I am likely busting out tools anyways.

Also found a cheap (~$25) tire plug kit at the bike shop.

Now if the snow would melt and the trails dry out......
Old 04-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #6787
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want nice and sturdy racks look for something by Nitto. They make really good stainless steel racks. Most of the racks you find in bike shops are aluminum, they are fine for most purposes like commuting, but stainless steel racks are really beautiful and they put up with a lot of abuse.

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/racks

https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...top-rack-20095

Also could take a look at Velo Orange, as they make really nice stainless steel racks as well.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...teur-rear-rack
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #6788
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Damn, those are nice.

But I also bought the bike for $250. Those racks and a couple pannier bags would cost more than the bike. I don't necessarily want to go cheap but I might have to go the Amazon route for something with decent reviews and a lower price.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:35 AM   #6789
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that sure was nice to roll in on my summer tires, no poggies, lighter everything...
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #6790
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

saqw on twiitter that the city is supposed to start street sweeping today.

today was my first ride in. i was about 10 minutes off of a good pace, so the next few rides will bring down my strava times.

of course on the first ride i almsot get hit by a stupid driver who was not paying attention.

it was nice to be able to ride in with the sunglasses on and not having to run my full on headlight.

big old raspberry to whomever took away the hair dryer in the shower area. i am now having a bad hair day.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #6791
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I saw a beaver waddling around on the Nose Creek path from the north, by the 32nd Street underpass (next to the propane tank storage yard). Pretty neat. The underpass pathway was partially flooded and he startled me a little bit at first, but he didn't seem bothered at all.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #6792
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

So nice to be back on the road bike this morning. I had the bike tuned back in Feb waiting for the day I could take it off the trainer and onto the pavement. New chain, new bike computer, new me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 11:31 AM   #6793
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Damn, those are nice.

But I also bought the bike for $250. Those racks and a couple pannier bags would cost more than the bike. I don't necessarily want to go cheap but I might have to go the Amazon route for something with decent reviews and a lower price.
I think all the Stainless Steel racks will be $100 USD +.

You could check out Soma, they make both SS and aluminum racks I believe which will be a lot nicer than most of the stuff you will find in bike shops.

http://store.somafab.com/racks1.html

http://store.somafab.com/somoherera.html

Other than that, i'm not sure, if you can find a nice one on Amazon go for it!

Could also have a look on BTN, but likely most of their racks are SS and for touring.
https://store.biketouringnews.com/ca...ear-racks.html
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #6794
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

PSA: the City closed the pathway under 32 ave NE due to Nose Creek rising up onto the path. I bypassed the barriers anyway and checked the path out; the creek covered about 1/4 of the path so no big deal and you can still get through.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #6795
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that closure was strange.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #6796
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Calgary Cycle Pure is having their Spring sale this weekend.

Spoiler!

Last edited by KTrain; 04-24-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #6797
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got my butt in gear and on my bike this morning. Felt really good! Goal is to build up through May so that by June I’m hopefully riding 4-5 days a week
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #6798
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of us! One of us!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #6799
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm looking to get a wheel trued, 2 tires replaced, and an overall tuneup for the season.

Who was the gentleman on this site that tunes up bikes? I may reach out to see his availability. Otherwise, I'm trying to find a shop downtown that isn't booked for weeks!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #6800
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anybody have knowledge when the city will sweep all the gravel off the bow path. Big buildup around the 10th Street underpass

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread