Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #1841
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino View Post
...Maybe his coaching is better suited to the international game as he has had success at that level. At the end of the day results quantify success.
Yes, but they do nothing useful to explain it. Can you explain why Bill Peters is a bad NHL coach? Can you explain why he is better suited to coaching International hockey?

Quote:
Is there some other measure that should be used to judge a coach other than his results? Aura and ambience really doesn’t cut it in my opinion.
I tend to think a record subject to a sizeable number of mitigating factors that need to be taken into careful consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #1842
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Im okay with the hiring but not sold on Peters. If the Flames come out winning the first 2 months i will be. As some have said he has had almost no success at the NHL level as a head coach. But at the international level he has but those players are so good Dave Cameron and Gully would look good coaching Canada.
If he does that, something no other coach has managed since I can remember, I will be thoroughly impressed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #1843
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is your opinion. Is it possible in your mind that Peters got more out of his Carolina roster than the sum of its parts? Based on howe significantly the Hurricanes are hamstrung financially, based on the strength of their division, and based on the extenuating circumstances of ownership and management turnover I think this is at least something to take carefully into consideration.

Well then, I suppose every NHL coach is a bad coach until he is not. That strikes me as an utterly useless metric.
Yes I don’t think his aura, ambience and bravado helped him much in Carolina. From 2014-15 to 2017-18 Carolina’s record was 137-138-53. In the previous 5 seasons under a different coach Carolina went 163-161-52. Maybe they had a bit more bravado, ambience and more of an aura. Not sure.

What other metric do you use to evaluate an NHL head coach other than their NHL head coaching record?

I am more concerned with results rather than arguing about intangibles we all hope will make him a success as Calgary head coach. Would rather have a winning coach like Sutter or AV personally.

Last edited by Angelino; 04-23-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #1844
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If he does that, something no other coach has managed since I can remember, I will be thoroughly impressed.
The fans deserve it. Winning at home would be nice.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #1845
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really had no idea who Bill Peters was until he was under consideration for being hired here, other than his Lack rant.

I think many people have underscored how many coaches are not successful on one team, but are able to help another team win a Stanley Cup.

For some people who are not able to judge a coach by anything other than his record on the lowest payroll team with ownership concerns, there is probably no other conclusion than this being a bad hire.

Thankfully those people are not in charge of the hockey team. And sadly, nothing can be said to change those folks minds.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #1846
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like the confident, direct, no nonsense approach.
Will be happy to see that reflected in the on ice product. Nothing much else to say until we see them in September.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #1847
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
presence? gravitas?
That is it exactly. Thanks!

Quote:
Old 04-23-2018, 06:00 PM   #1848
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The one thing that stood out to me was the "demanding without being demeaning" quote.

Hartley was very demanding but from most accounts he was a terrible person and very demeaning.

Gulutzan was more analytical and a really nice guy but not nearly demanding enough of his team.

If Peters can be a bit of the hybrid where he's a nice guy, and analytical but also can push the right buttons and be demanding of the guys on his team then he should be a good hire.
If Peters is enough of a DB that he can go out to the media and #### all over Lack, you can bet he's doing a lot worse inside the dressing room. But he apologised and learned from it, so i guess that means he'll never do it again.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #1849
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
If Peters is enough of a DB that he can go out to the media and #### all over Lack, you can bet he's doing a lot worse inside the dressing room. But he apologised and learned from it, so i guess that means he'll never do it again.
*translation*
"I am angry about the coach, and no matter what he says or does will continue to be angry!"

Quote:
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #1850
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Today is a turning point for me. I was on the fence over the past week or so. Peters strikes me as determined, focused individual in whose eyes / stares you can see fire. This may sound like nothing but it is important to sell your determination with your body language.

If you watched post game on Cassidy or Johnson or Babcock, you can tell in their eyes how determine they are, even Tortorella.

Peters impresses me more and more.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SOMBRI2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #1851
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

killer sig
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #1852
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone’s most major misgivings about Peters is his lack of NHL success. I thought I’d just go over some of the highly touted current NHL coaches who also did not have early career success.

Peter Laviolette: either missed the playoffs or was out in the first round 6/7 seasons. Mind you the one season he made it passed the first round it was a Cup win.

Barry Trotz: no playoffs his first 5 years (expansion team). Either missed playoffs or out in the first round 5 out of the next 6 seasons.

Alain Vigneault: qualified for playoffs once in his first 4 years as a head coach.

John Tortorella: exact same as Vigneault, 1/4.

Gerard Gallant: no playoffs in 5 of his first 6 seasons.

Claude Julien: one playoff season his first 4 years.

Pete DeBoer: one playoff season in his first 6 years.

Paul Maurice: out of playoffs or lost in first round his first 6 years as a HC (0 playoffs for first 3 years).

Lack of early career success ≠ future failure.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #1853
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well he wasn't the guy I wanted.

But on the plus side he's currently undefeated as a Flames head coach, so that's something.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #1854
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am not sure why people are getting hung up on Tre not speaking with other coaches as it pertains to the vacant coaching position. Tre is arguably more dialled in than most GMs. It is a pretty small and tight group of coaches an GMs that take part in symposiums, clinics, and NHL meetings. There is very little that is not known about the candidates. The upcoming coaches that have not coached in the NHL were not an option this time.

Tre probably had a wish list and knows who shares similiar philosophical views. Of those people, a select few if any may be available when the search begins. Companies target high performers all the time without opening the position to other candidates. Make no mistake, Peters is a high performing coach more so internationally....right now. Tre has to know that the new coach shares s vision and that they can work together. That could shorten the list significantly.

Timing is everything. Tre likely missed out on some good coaching candidates before hiring GG and learned his lesson. He needed to work fast give Peters international schedule. He did not want to wait for more teams to exit the playoffs and get into a bidding war for other highly sought after candidates.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 PM   #1855
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
*translation*
"I am angry about the coach, and no matter what he says or does will continue to be angry!"
Not really - And there's no need to personally attack me rather than the content of the post, which is exactly what you've done.

A couple points to consider

1) I explicitly brought up the fact that one of Gully's shortcomings holding the team back was his lack of aura (way back in December and even earlier). A number of posters thought the observation lacked merit then, but now they're jumping on Peters' aura now.

So some posters have gone from "aura is irrelevant" to "OMG PETERS'S AURA IS A HUGE POSITIVE," and yet somehow you're calling me out for having tinted glasses?

2) My position is that Aura is important is actually unchanged. I just don't think Peters' has it - is that a fair position? I think so.

His "aura" doesn't pass my eye test and I think its phony. He has a history of being condescending and demeaning to his players. He doesn't have a history of NHL success. So its a guy who hasn't really earned his stripes as a successful NHL coach that is acting like he has. Call me crazy, but I don't think millionaire players with big egos are going to put up with his "confident" demeanour for very long, especially if they don't have success right out of the gate.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #1856
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Fan960Ste...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #1857
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
LOL...yeah i had the same thought.

the beauty of this though is you can tell its not rehearsed, its just him spitballing answers to everything coming at him.

Boy he has passion for the game....cannot question that.
No wonder the Canes missed the playoffs. He was too busy watching Flames games!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #1858
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Not really - And there's no need to personally attack me
Literally your last post:

Quote:
Treat people like you want to be treated, or quiet down about it.

I can’t imagine what you think calling someone a d#######g is if you think someone calling you “angry” is a personal attack. Yikes.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #1859
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Telling was the part where Treliving wants the assistants to get out of the coaches room and get to know the players a bit more about what makes them tick...and he expressly said as far as finding the buttons to push to motivate said players.

Complete indictment of GG and the assistants for being unprepared in figuring out how to understand and then motivate each player seperately, whether it be in game or game to gsme/week to week.

For what it's worth, liked what Peters had to say and way he delivered it.
Agreed. I thought that was very interesting too.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #1860
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edn88 View Post
I have no idea if we will win more or less games, but Peters demeanor feels more like a head coach than Gulutzen.
I absolutely agree. And I think this is a really important factor.

People talked about time-outs, goalie changes, yelling at the refs, etc. It isn't about those things, those things are symptoms. What it's about is the coach standing up for his team, being a leader, doing something.

Gulutzan and Cameron were so cerebral, so reserved.

Hockey is a passionate game. Part of the coach's job is to be a leader, define the personality of the team, show the players he has their back. And lead them.

I never felt that Gulutzan had the demeanor to be an NHL coach. Very happy to hear that Peters is scoring much higher in that regard.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: