Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #2021
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
It was just some lighthearted banter. People are way too freaking sensitive these days.
I get that, but is any banter coming from the FA appropriate? I mean I detest Mourinho, but it wouldn't be appropriate for them to take a run at him on social media either.

(the funniest line I saw about Saturday was "What do Spurs fans do after they win the FA Cup? Turn off the PlayStation!")
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #2022
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

(the funniest line I saw about Saturday was "What do Spurs fans do after they win the FA Cup? Turn off the PlayStation!")
You need to get out more if this is the first time you've heard that one.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #2023
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about that 'Player of the Year' award though...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #2024
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well they aren't going to give it to the actual best player in the premiership, as they never give it to a goalkeeper.

I don't think it's enough to keep Salah, in the Prem next season.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:52 PM   #2025
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Well they aren't going to give it to the actual best player in the premiership, as they never give it to a goalkeeper.

I don't think it's enough to keep Salah, in the Prem next season.
Hey! Peter Shilton won it once!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #2026
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hey! Peter Shilton won it once!
Banks and Southall too.

None this century,
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #2027
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Banks and Southall too.

None this century,
Oh! Well! Now you're just moving the goalposts!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #2028
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've actually come around to thinking Salah will stay for at least one more year. Liverpool will expect at least what they got for Coutinho, but I don't think anyone will offer close to that. As amazing as Salah has been this year, he was still available for purchase for only £40 million last summer. It'd hard to believe someone will offer quadruple that for only one season at the level he played at, and Madrid are really the only team who can pay the cost and would have the interest. But tough to get a team to bid that much against itself. They might throw an offer in, but I doubt it would be what Liverpool would want.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #2029
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I like to rib Locke, I don't think Madrid is going to seriously consider buying Salah.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #2030
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I've actually come around to thinking Salah will stay for at least one more year. Liverpool will expect at least what they got for Coutinho, but I don't think anyone will offer close to that. As amazing as Salah has been this year, he was still available for purchase for only £40 million last summer. It'd hard to believe someone will offer quadruple that for only one season at the level he played at, and Madrid are really the only team who can pay the cost and would have the interest. But tough to get a team to bid that much against itself. They might throw an offer in, but I doubt it would be what Liverpool would want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
As much as I like to rib Locke, I don't think Madrid is going to seriously consider buying Salah.
You guys are both forgetting about the 'World Cup Bump.'

If Salah has an amazing WC this summer then all bets are off.

I hope he loves being at Liverpool and stays though. Look at it right now, we're at the same stage of the CL as Real.

Its going to be really interesting seeing him play against Roma today, who thought he'd be playing against the team he was bought from in the CL Semis?

Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #2031
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah who knows that the World Cup will do to players. Madrid will be shopping this summer. Their Mbappe plan fell through because of his wage demands, and they really need another finisher.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #2032
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You guys are both forgetting about the 'World Cup Bump.'

If Salah has an amazing WC this summer then all bets are off.

I hope he loves being at Liverpool and stays though. Look at it right now, we're at the same stage of the CL as Real.

Its going to be really interesting seeing him play against Roma today, who thought he'd be playing against the team he was bought from in the CL Semis?
Does that really matter? I'm not just being facetious here, because when we beat Real in the group stages it didn't do much to quiet that kind of talk. If anything it just increased the prognostication. Suddenly Kane was showcasing himself and right in front of RM (because you know, they had no idea who he was until then )

Maybe the silver lining is that Kane and Spurs were so bad this weekend. He couldn't score and was in Smallings pocket, so RM won't be interested. And Poch hasn't won silverware, so they won't be interested in him either.

Unfortunately, for basically everyone, if RM has their sights set on a player it's nearly impossible to resist selling. I think it can be prolonged, and you might be able to holdout, but when the offers are astronomical the clubs just want that cash.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #2033
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Does that really matter? I'm not just being facetious here, because when we beat Real in the group stages it didn't do much to quiet that kind of talk. If anything it just increased the prognostication. Suddenly Kane was showcasing himself and right in front of RM (because you know, they had no idea who he was until then )

Maybe the silver lining is that Kane and Spurs were so bad this weekend. He couldn't score and was in Smallings pocket, so RM won't be interested. And Poch hasn't won silverware, so they won't be interested in him either.

Unfortunately, for basically everyone, if RM has their sights set on a player it's nearly impossible to resist selling. I think it can be prolonged, and you might be able to holdout, but when the offers are astronomical the clubs just want that cash.
I understand what you're saying, but that was the Group Stage. Everyone who qualifies plays in the Group Stage, we're playing in the Semi-Finals now.

Ultimately yes, when the Spanish clubs come knocking its effectively impossible to keep them at bay.

It kind of reminds me in the NHL of the California teams or the NY Rangers, players want to play there because they're nice places the live, the teams are relatively successful and the tax treatment is nicer and on and on it goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #2034
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As the Arsene Wenger era at Arsenal draws to a close, whoever turns out to be his successor "will have to work with a restricted budget of around £50 million" in the next window, according to the Telegraph.

It says the recent club-record arrivals of Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who cost more than £100m between them, mean the new boss will not be spending big money.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/tran...million-budget

Thats going to be tough.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #2035
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

probably sounds worse than it is. If you think of it as a 100m budget with the first and biggest signing (Aubameyang) already settled for a few months, I think that's fine. Plus that's surely 50m net, so you can always boost that number through player sales.

Plus there'll be some cheap options out there too. They bid over 20m for Jonny Evans last year, now he'll be available for 3m because of a relegation clause in his contract.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #2036
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont think teams will pay huge for salah this year, so liverpool are probably safe

World cup boost a bit more difficult this year with the early transfer window closing early, its only going to be 3-4 weeks after the WC final vs the 8 it used to be
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #2037
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #2038
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last 4 people on earth they would want to hire....hilarious!

Come on! Get Big Sam in there! Pints of Wine all around!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #2039
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...mpression=true

Shahid khan making a big offer for wembley

Really hope the FA sells, if only so the England team can play around the country

Hold all the finals and big games at Wembley, or spurs nee stadium or the emirates so they are in london

But especially for qualifiers play some games up north, in the Midlands etc.
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #2040
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seems really odd to me on both parties ends to be considering it. Motivation is apparently at least in part to use it for NFL games for Khan's team (Jags) moving forward from what I've read. Assuming he's going to charge the FA rent for england games, cup finals and promotion games when they do want to use it?

Seems like once he has it he could really squeeze the FA on rent. As much as they could move fixtures around an FA cup final at Old Trafford just would't be the same. Cost 1.1 billion to build in today's dollars so they'd be getting most of that back and retaining their office and club seat program.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote