Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #181
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

lol, I check out once my team is done, I figure I'll know when swift wins cause my nephew will rub it in.

Kinda sucks that there's no TV coverage. Sportsnet or Shaw used to broacst one series per round and it was good broadcasts.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #182
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
lol, I check out once my team is done, I figure I'll know when swift wins cause my nephew will rub it in.

Kinda sucks that there's no TV coverage. Sportsnet or Shaw used to broacst one series per round and it was good broadcasts.
No idea what cable provider you have, Access in Saskatchewan is carrying games 3, 4, 6, and 7 of that Swift Current series against Lethbridge. Not that it matters since you checked out for the season. lol

Interesting rumour I heard the last few days, the CHL might allow 4 20s, but one of those 4 has to be a goalie.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #183
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
No idea what cable provider you have, Access in Saskatchewan is carrying games 3, 4, 6, and 7 of that Swift Current series against Lethbridge. Not that it matters since you checked out for the season. lol

Interesting rumour I heard the last few days, the CHL might allow 4 20s, but one of those 4 has to be a goalie.
I have Shaw Direct, and Shaw carried the last 3 games of the MJ/SC series in a deal with Access, but only on Shaw cable, not the satelite pack. I bought game 6 on the WHL site, glad I did cause that was a triple OT game.

I really hope they say at 3 20's, it's Jr for a reason. Did that rumour start by a fan whose team has 10 19's this year like our does? lol
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #184
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post

I really hope they say at 3 20's, it's Jr for a reason. Did that rumour start by a fan whose team has 10 19's this year like our does? lol
I know someone who has a friend who works for a QMJHL team who passed that rumour on to me.

I know the playoffs are still going but is it May 3rd yet? lol No clear-cut #1 this year for the Bantam Draft, up to 7 guys could be the #1 pick.

Also, really curious where Adrian Hreschuk goes knowing he recently committed to Boston College. Hes the best 03 USA Western player in the draft. Elite 2-way defender with skating and physical tools. Pro upside.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #185
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was fun!

You could sure tell which team had fought through two tough as hell 7 game series and which team breezed through two 5 game series with lighter competition in tonights game.

Swift looked spent. The Canes took the game over and steam rolled the Broncos tonight.

Looks like we may have a series.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #186
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Well that was fun!

You could sure tell which team had fought through two tough as hell 7 game series and which team breezed through two 5 game series with lighter competition in tonights game.

Swift looked spent. The Canes took the game over and steam rolled the Broncos tonight.

Looks like we may have a series.

Good stuff.

Question for ya..

Last year i saw quite a few Canes games including the Pats series. One kid player who caught my eye was that Calen Addison kid. Looked super quick and really smart if not very big. With defensemen now not necessarily needing to be big to be effective, is he someone they see going 1st round in the draft this year?
Old 04-24-2018, 11:47 PM   #187
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Good stuff.

Question for ya..

Last year i saw quite a few Canes games including the Pats series. One kid player who caught my eye was that Calen Addison kid. Looked super quick and really smart if not very big. With defensemen now not necessarily needing to be big to be effective, is he someone they see going 1st round in the draft this year?
Yes, it's possible. A few weeks ago they were talking about him being 1st or 2nd rounder. He's good. A real treat to watch. I wish they'd bump the age up to 21 so we get an extra year of him in Lethbridge. He probably won't play as an overage though, he'll be in the AHL.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2018, 11:56 PM   #188
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Good stuff.

Question for ya..

Yes its possible as Buff said. He's a real smooth skater, sees the ice real well. Very good offensively and has grown leaps and bounds defensively as well. His size will probably keep him out of round 1 but you never know.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #189
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2018 NHL Draft looks to be very defenseman-heavy at the top. Addison could go as early as the late first round, or he could potentially drop into the early-to-mid second round. Probably depends on who teams take and their prefence of what blueliners they have rated highest on the board.

Why the hell Giorgio Estephan get booed last night? Giving all he had for five years and being emotional about having to leave your team isn't enough to earn some respect? Garbage.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #190
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why the hell Giorgio Estephan get booed last night? Giving all he had for five years and being emotional about having to leave your team isn't enough to earn some respect? Garbage.
I dunno, it's just the way of it. He plays for the other team now, and sunk the Canes with a great performance in game 2 by scoring his hatrick goal in OT. Fans are supposed to do their part to help the home team win. They were getting on Skinners case all night too. Game was chippy as hell too, the players were really going at each other. Skinner was also sticking some Canes players in game 2 as well from what I heard.

I'm sure they understand, and I would be willing to bet that when the series is over, win or lose, if the fans get the chance they would give both players a standing O.

But yeah, I can see where you are coming from too. It is just a game, and these guys are just kids, and they were great Canes for a long time too.

I wasn't there, but IIRC the Broncos played a game in Lethbridge after the trade during the season, and I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that both players got really warm welcomes their first time back in Enmax.

It's playoffs now though, and the third round to boot. Lots on the line.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #191
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you know about this Jadon Joseph kid with the 'Canes? His dad is a former CFL player and a friend of mine. Has he had his draft year? He's chipped in the odd goal.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #192
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What do you know about this Jadon Joseph kid with the 'Canes? His dad is a former CFL player and a friend of mine. Has he had his draft year? He's chipped in the odd goal.
Tons of skill, decent skater and works hard. Very skinny kid, but getting stronger.

He's what I'd call a late bloomer. His draft year was last year, he is a '99 born.

He's a guy you love to have in junior because as a late bloomer you get more years out of him before he's gone. This is his draft +1 year and he only had 32 points in 54 games (had some injuries this year). Next year will be his 19 year old season, and he will still be with the Canes barring trades, and will probably be a point per game player, and huge part of any success the team may have as a solid WHL veteran heading into his 3rd full season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #193
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno, it's just the way of it. He plays for the other team now, and sunk the Canes with a great performance in game 2 by scoring his hatrick goal in OT. Fans are supposed to do their part to help the home team win. They were getting on Skinners case all night too. Game was chippy as hell too, the players were really going at each other. Skinner was also sticking some Canes players in game 2 as well from what I heard.

I'm sure they understand, and I would be willing to bet that when the series is over, win or lose, if the fans get the chance they would give both players a standing O.

But yeah, I can see where you are coming from too. It is just a game, and these guys are just kids, and they were great Canes for a long time too.

I wasn't there, but IIRC the Broncos played a game in Lethbridge after the trade during the season, and I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that both players got really warm welcomes their first time back in Enmax.

I know I wouldn’t be booing him but I also understand why they’re doing it. As for Skinner meh that's standard goalie stuff that happens in any rink. I heard Skinner hated Kisios guts. Hes probably got a massive chip on his shoulder, if he already didn't have one coming into the series.

Swift Current haven't lost back-to-back games yet in the playoffs. Lethbridge hasn't lost at home in the playoffs. Tonight something has to give.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #194
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Skinner and Estephan were both choked that they were traded away, even though they were going to a heavy contender. Nobody imagined that Lethbridge was going to make it this far in the playoffs, at the time of the deadline they were merely in the playoffs and not really pushing to be a favorite. Estephan was given a chance to win and Skinner was a part of the price to get Logan Barlage. That kid is going to be some kind of hockey player for the Hurricanes!

I think there may have still been hurt comments from Estephan just before the series. Nothing disparaging, but he just wanted to stick it to his old team and show them they were wrong for trading him kind of thing. So in the fans eyes "Oh yeah? Look at what we did without out you!".
Old 04-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #195
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know I wouldn’t be booing him but I also understand why they’re doing it. As for Skinner meh that's standard goalie stuff that happens in any rink. I heard Skinner hated Kisios guts. Hes probably got a massive chip on his shoulder, if he already didn't have one coming into the series.

Swift Current haven't lost back-to-back games yet in the playoffs. Lethbridge hasn't lost at home in the playoffs. Tonight something has to give.
I predict it will be tied going back to Speedy Creek. This series is going to 7 games. 'Canes win tonight and they could very well win in 7. 'Canes lose tonight and they'll still force game 7 but lose.

Can the 'Canes win this series? Yes. They are believing in themselves. Many of them were here last year. Morrison has been unreal. He is 1 goal back of tieing a Hurricanes franchise record for most goals in the playoffs, and he is only in round 3. Byron Ritchie set the record in '97 with 16 and the 'Canes won the WHL that year. Morrison is 3 points back of tieing the record for most points in the playoffs. A record set by another former Flame, Wes Walz, when the Hurricanes lost in the final round. So, for Morrison to do this and only in the middle of round 3.... he's willing this team forward, and he's not the only guy leading the charge. Bellerive and Cozens are great. Flodell is stopping pucks when needed. Addison is just a gem on the back end. This team is better than originally thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #196
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I predict it will be tied going back to Speedy Creek. This series is going to 7 games. 'Canes win tonight and they could very well win in 7. 'Canes lose tonight and they'll still force game 7 but lose.

Can the 'Canes win this series? Yes. They are believing in themselves. Many of them were here last year. Morrison has been unreal. He is 1 goal back of tieing a Hurricanes franchise record for most goals in the playoffs, and he is only in round 3. Byron Ritchie set the record in '97 with 16 and the 'Canes won the WHL that year. Morrison is 3 points back of tieing the record for most points in the playoffs. A record set by another former Flame, Wes Walz, when the Hurricanes lost in the final round. So, for Morrison to do this and only in the middle of round 3.... he's willing this team forward, and he's not the only guy leading the charge. Bellerive and Cozens are great. Flodell is stopping pucks when needed. Addison is just a gem on the back end. This team is better than originally thought.
They are now doing what they should have done from the start of the season. Its just that they are doing it without Estephan and Skinner which is totally unexpected. I thought this team would run away with central this year but they were plagued with inconsistency, especially from Skinner who should been the teams top player similar to Hart in Everett.

Bonus now is that instead of having Estephan, Nagel and Skinner walk at years end they now have Barlage, Blocker and a fistful of future draft picks.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #197
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Broncos really seem to be missing Gawdin badly.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 PM   #198
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Broncos really seem to be missing Gawdin badly.
Doesn't help for sure. They also had to battle through two 7 game blood baths with two other stacked teams to get here.

The Canes mowed down a really weak Rebels team, and made short work of the Wheat Kings too. Really well rested, and honestly a better team than they get credit for.

I had a post a while ago that showed the Canes, minus one weird 8 game losing streak near the end of the season, have had a pretty elite record since the trade deadline.

They seem like a real determined bunch right now too.

Anyways, hope I'm not jinxing them. They are up 4-1 after two periods tonight.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #199
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I was at that game, it was a love-in for Skinner and Estephan. Video montage and the works.

Canes putting the boots to them again tonight. SC is really missing Gawdin.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #200
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Gawin coming back?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote