Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #41
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Knights in 6. Vegas looked unbeatable against the Kings, while the Sharks looked very sloppy at times against the Ducks and were bailed out by Jones standing on his head. With Fleury doing his own head-standing I think the Knights will be able to take advantage of San Jose's sloppiness with their speed and intense forecheck
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #42
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Knights in 6. Vegas looked unbeatable against the Kings, while the Sharks looked very sloppy at times against the Ducks and were bailed out by Jones standing on his head. With Fleury doing his own head-standing I think the Knights will be able to take advantage of San Jose's sloppiness with their speed and intense forecheck
Yeah, I thought the Ducks actually looked pretty awful through almost the entire series. Whereas while Vegas outplayed LA, the Kings sure did not look nearly as bad.

Minnesota is clearly the worst team in the playoffs this year, but I think Anaheim was nearly as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #43
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yeah I'm not doubting them anymore. Only an entire season and 1 round for me to get the message.

Knights in 5
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #44
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, I thought the Ducks actually looked pretty awful through almost the entire series. Whereas while Vegas outplayed LA, the Kings sure did not look nearly as bad.

Minnesota is clearly the worst team in the playoffs this year, but I think Anaheim was nearly as bad.
Worse than New Jersey?
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Worse than New Jersey?
I don't know because I have not been watching that series at all. I am much more invested in seeing the Bruins dismantle the Maple Leafs, and marvelling at Sidney Crosby's continued dominance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #46
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

I don't see how Minnie is "clearly" the worst, they might actually be better than the Ducks this season. The Ducks sucked. Kings didn't look very good either.

Although my pick for the worst team would have been Philly before the playoffs. One of the lowest scoring teams entering the playoffs, defense isn't anything special, Elliott in net. Outside one game where the Penguins felt good about themselves, they've been a trainwreck, 18-6 goal differential in four games is a slaughter.

The Wild at least have solid goaltending, and they always put up a fight in the playoffs, even if it never gets them anywhere.

Last edited by Itse; 04-19-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #47
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I don't see how Minnie is "clearly" the worst, they might actually be better than the Ducks this season. The Ducks sucked. Kings didn't look very good either.

Although my pick for the worst team would have been Philly before the playoffs. One of the lowest scoring teams entering the playoffs, defense isn't anything special, Elliott in net. Outside one game where the Penguins felt good about themselves, they've been a trainwreck, 18-6 goal differential in four games is a slaughter.

The Wild at least have solid goaltending, and they always put up a fight in the playoffs, even if it never gets them anywhere.
This statement doesn't mean a whole lot in a discussion of the best 16 teams. They still scored over 3 goals a game in the regular season and boasted Giroux's 102 point season, not to mention Voracek (85), Couturier (76), and defenseman Gostisbehere (65). Secondary scoring might be a little lower, but they have some good offensive players.

Elliott and team defense has been their downfall.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #48
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll go Knights in 6.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #49
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Vegas in 6. I think that the Knight's speed and the relentless forecheck will be big factors.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #50
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vegas in 6. Sharks have the offense to take a game or two but ultimately I see Vegas as the better team.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:27 AM   #51
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
This statement doesn't mean a whole lot in a discussion of the best 16 teams. They still scored over 3 goals a game in the regular season and boasted Giroux's 102 point season, not to mention Voracek (85), Couturier (76), and defenseman Gostisbehere (65). Secondary scoring might be a little lower, but they have some good offensive players.

Elliott and team defense has been their downfall.
Okay, let's put it this way: they're nothing special offensively and that's the best part of their team.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:31 AM   #52
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharks in 6, only because everyone is picking Vegas
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:48 AM   #53
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Knights going on to win the Stanley cup would be terrible for the NHL in my opinion.
The optics of an expansion team winning it all with a discard bin collection of players would cheapen the brand. Make it appear to be more luck than actual skill.

I am not trying to take anything away from the efforts, skill, and coaching of the LVK, but just stating the potential optics to a casual fan.

So for that reason I hope the Sharks win this one.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:56 AM   #54
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas in 6. Go Sharks though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #55
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
The Knights going on to win the Stanley cup would be terrible for the NHL in my opinion.
The optics of an expansion team winning it all with a discard bin collection of players would cheapen the brand. Make it appear to be more luck than actual skill.

I am not trying to take anything away from the efforts, skill, and coaching of the LVK, but just stating the potential optics to a casual fan.

This idea that the Knights’ players are “discards” ignores the fact that many or most of the NHL teams were scrambling to find ways to keep players for whom there were no places left on their protected list. This is a team made up of good players who just missed the cut for the protected list on their parent team.

Partly because of the cap, most of the NHL teams are like the Flames - a small number of players that, indvidually may be better than the best on the Knights - and then a bottom 6 forwards and bottom 2 or 3 defensemen that aren’t nearly as good as their comparables on the Knights. A team made up of all good players should beat a team made up of a few stars and a bunch of significantly lesser players most of the time. This is what happened during the regular season. In a seven game playoff series, the players with a few stars and not so bad 3rd and 4th line might prevail when the star players turn it up a notch, but a team that can roll 4 good lines can beat them - that was how the ‘86 Flames beat the Oilers. it wouldn’t surprise me if the Knights go pretty deep this year.

Last edited by Steve Bozek; 04-22-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #56
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

MAF is a top 5-10 goalie in a 31 team league

Not bargain bin...he won the cup last season ffs
Old 04-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #57
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
As long as Nashville spanks either of them after I'll be happy.

Should be an interesting one though. Especially with both goalies seemingly in the zone
Nashville's not even out of the first round yet man
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #58
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post

Lol at discard bin collection of players.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #59
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Im finally buying in.

Knights in 6
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #60
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

God are either of these teams going to remember how to hockey after all this time off?