Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #221
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He showed he was ready. He did everything and more to show that in camp. He would’ve made the Flames better for the 9 games he was put in the A.

Trying to rationalize that it was because he was in the A for those extra games is what is ridiculous.

It was a mistake. Hey, we all make them, but it doesn’t change what it was.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #222
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Jankowski, Hathaway, Mangiapane, and Rittich are all playing really well.

To me, that suggests that the organization has handled them well. Concluding that the organization has screwed it up seems somewhat bizarre.
Some folks just want to complain so they find a reason.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #223
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats really frustrating is the timing of the break. They're really rolling right now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #224
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh sorry, Flames won. Stop all hockey discussion and re-start the gif train!

My apologies for discussing hockey and hockey philosophy on a hockey board.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #225
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Oh sorry, Flames won. Stop all hockey discussion and re-start the gif train!

My apologies for discussing hockey and hockey philosophy on a hockey board.
Thread topic be damned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #226
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think the reason why we are wining games is that we finally have 4 legitimate lines rolling right now. You have a driver for every single line: Gaudreau on the 1st, Backlund on the second, Jankowski on the 3rd and Mangiapane on the 4th.
I think Tkachuk drives the second line, more so than Backlund personally. Not that it really matters. All lines are getting it done and it's nice to see.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #227
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Lack was a terrible move because it was pretty clear last year that Rittich and Gillies were both ready for the backup role.

Unsurprisingly, Rittich (and the rest of the youngsters) have outplayed all of the moves that were made.
Based on what?

Gillies one NHL start, or Rittich's 20 minutes of NHL hockey?

Luckily NHL General Managers apply a more stringent hurdle for prospect readiness.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #228
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Jankowski, Hathaway, Mangiapane, and Rittich are all playing really well.

To me, that suggests that the organization has handled them well. Concluding that the organization has screwed it up seems somewhat bizarre.
Personally I like the policy of having veterans ready in case young players don't show they are good to make the jump.

I always compare this to MacTavish who was quoted in July after drafting Draisiatil that he would be the team's #2 center the upcoming year. Terrible way to manage a hockey team.

Sticking with veterans for a whole year when a young player is clearly ready isn't a great plan either, but given the complete redo of the bottom half of the roster they certainly haven't done that.

Now the issue is Rasmus Andersson. If he's as ready as reported they may start looking at moving one of Hamonic or Stone.

May also be smart to wait until the draft though, injuries do happen.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #229
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Didnt Rittich play 20 minutes in pre-season and give up 2 goals on 9 shots?

What about that screams that he was ready to stay?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #230
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

He played half a game against the Oilers (split-squad), but yes -- 2 goals on 9 shots.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/david-...7&seasonType=3
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #231
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
He showed he was ready. He did everything and more to show that in camp. He would’ve made the Flames better for the 9 games he was put in the A.

Trying to rationalize that it was because he was in the A for those extra games is what is ridiculous.

It was a mistake. Hey, we all make them, but it doesn’t change what it was.
I think we get caught up in the semantics of training camp too often. If I apply for a new role within my company and win a job based on the interview and merrit of work completed and my boss said to me, you got the job, we need you to finish up your existing project and will work on the logistics of getting you to your new location and into your new role within the next month or so, no-one would have a second thought about it. This is exactly what happened to Janko and to a lesser degree Rittich. There is a logistical component to "creating veteran competition" at training camp. We are not privy to this information, side deals etc. required to bring these guys in (and maintaining a reputation so future PTOs are willing to sign). Setting up training camp so that your team is only complete if players you expect to make the team make it, is a great way to eliminate competition from your camp.

Outside of 10 games at a reduced salary, I can't see of how either the flames or Janko were negatively impacted for the "transition period" to start the season. This is exactly how I want the team to proceed in the future. There are 82 games during the year where you can "make the team" based on merrit...not just one.

I also find this discussion interesting in a season where the flames have successfully graduated 4 going on 5 AHLers.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #232
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I think we get caught up in the semantics of training camp too often. If I apply for a new role within my company and win a job based on the interview and merrit of work completed and my boss said to me, you got the job, we need you to finish up your existing project and will work on the logistics of getting you to your new location and into your new role within the next month or so, no-one would have a second thought about it. This is exactly what happened to Janko and to a lesser degree Rittich. There is a logistical component to "creating veteran competition" at training camp. We are not privy to this information, side deals etc. Necessary to bring these guys in. Setting up training camp so that your team is only complete if players you expect to make the team make it, is a great way to eliminate competition from your camp.

Outside of 10 games at a reduced salary, I can't see of how either the flames or Janko were negatively impacted for the "transition period" to start the season. This is exactly how I want the team to proceed in the future. There are 82 games during the year where you can "make the team" based on merrit...not just one.

I also find this discussion interesting in a season where the flames have successfully graduated 4 going on 5 AHLers.
The best part about this isnt that our primary players are going down with injuries and we're desperate for fingers to plug holes, these guys are displacing established players and taking their spots and contributing.

Which is exactly what you want.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #233
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signing a veteran backup was a sound move, Lack was just a poor choice. He didn’t provide any “security”, he was a risk from the start. Rittich deserves a ton of credit for what he is doing particularly when you consider he really hasn’t started that many games last 2 years.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #234
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Signing a veteran backup was a sound move, Lack was just a poor choice. He didn’t provide any “security”, he was a risk from the start. Rittich deserves a ton of credit for what he is doing particularly when you consider he really hasn’t started that many games last 2 years.
He was cheap to acquire and inexpensive to pay and had a very low cap hit and some experience.

It was really, really low risk.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #235
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Link

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!

Last edited by Nehkara; 01-13-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #236
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

He only got 20 minutes because they had to play Lack.

And regarding Lack and Glass, judging them based on 2 weeks of preseason instead of their recent seasons showing them to be no good is not a smart move.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #237
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brad Treliving may be great at signings, but he has demonstrated himself to be pretty poor evaluator of talent. Jankowski should have been up at the start of the year.

We'll see if the Flames keep this up, but I'm guessing based on the past history of this team that the coach throwing his stick or having a beer with the guys isn't going to lead to a permanent culture change.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #238
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
Brad Treliving may be great at signings, but he has demonstrated himself to be pretty poor evaluator of talent. Jankowski should have been up at the start of the year.
This was his comment Oct. 6th:

"We went into camp with a couple of spots open, a couple of chairs open if you will, for people within the organization to grab. Mark Jankowski in my mind is ready to play in the league and he will be in the league soon. You get to the point, what he’s done is put himself in a position to get back to Calgary quickly."

Two weeks later Jankowski was recalled.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #239
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's fair. We must have watched different preseason games then.

There was no doubt in my mind that Jankowski, Hathaway, Kulak, and Rittich all outplayed their replacements - Glass, F.Hamilton, Bartkowski and Lack.

At least I can see where you are coming from. If you thought the latter 4 players outplayed the former 4, and thus the youth needed additional seasoning in the AHL, I can absolutely accept that because hockey is quite subjective.

Just wanted to quote this because I appreciated that you accepted someone else’s position and didn’t treat it as a personal attack. It’s refreshing to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #240
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo
This was his comment Oct. 6th:

"We went into camp with a couple of spots open, a couple of chairs open if you will, for people within the organization to grab. Mark Jankowski in my mind is ready to play in the league and he will be in the league soon. You get to the point, what he’s done is put himself in a position to get back to Calgary quickly."

Two weeks later Jankowski was recalled.
So why wasn't he in the league to begin with? Why did it have to come down to another player being injured?
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CampbellsTransgressions For This Useful Post: