Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default You be the boss results are in

Brodie and Neal should start packing their bags!

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...box=1556579522
Old 04-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Attention Everyone: The Calgary Flames did not win the 2018-2019 Western Conference title; it will be won by either the Colorado Avalanche, San Jose Sharks, St. Louis Blues, or Dallas Stars. It is not a regular season title.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

"44% believe it will be a disaster if the flames don't win a playoff round next season"..

only 44%?!
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I fully expect them not to win a single playoff game next year because they have not given me any reason to believe they will

They can be good in the RS all they want but few teams have been as historically inept in the postseason as the Flames have, and until that changes, I can't be any more than simply resigned to their failures

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure glad the average fan (including the average Calgary pucker) aren't running the team.

It'd be like that time twitch let chat play pokemon.

Calm your tits Calgary.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

68% of the fan base thinking this season wasn't a failure is that exact reason why this franchise constantly accepts being average. The people will still flood the Saddledome and support four first round wins... in the history of the franchise.

Maybe next year

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keselke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 PM   #7
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
68% of the fan base thinking this season wasn't a failure is that exact reason why this franchise constantly accepts being average. The people will still flood the Saddledome and support four first round wins... in the history of the franchise.

Maybe next year
Well what do you want to happen? Everyone turns down tickets renewal and the team plays to an empty house and gets moved to Houston?

I'll be looking forward to next season.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:02 PM   #8
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post

Maybe next year
50 wins isn't a failure or average...season was a step in the right direction but still work to be done.

history of the franchise stuff is frustrating but irrelevant to this group...I mean 23 teams didn't get past the first round this season, should they all play in empty buildings?

Last edited by dino7c; 04-29-2019 at 11:04 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:23 PM   #9
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The average fan really does not like Neal.

I would give him another year before completely writing him off.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 PM   #10
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I fully expect them not to win a single playoff game next year because they have not given me any reason to believe they will

They can be good in the RS all they want but few teams have been as historically inept in the postseason as the Flames have, and until that changes, I can't be any more than simply resigned to their failures
Forget about the Flames of the past, this is a new version of the Flames.

This year was a playoff failure no doubt but can we give them a chance to learn from this before we give up all hope and expect them to never win a playoff game again?

Come on man.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:38 PM   #11
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emotions are still running too high, evidently. This poll sounds like me post Game 4.

It was a pretty crushing loss. Bound to happen.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:39 PM   #12
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thank god fans dont run this team. The fact that the amount of people who wanted to trade Gaudreau came within 4% of the amount that wanted to trade Monahan is sad.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 11:41 PM   #13
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Thank god fans dont run this team. The fact that the amount of people who wanted to trade Gaudreau came within 4% of the amount that wanted to trade Monahan is sad.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 AM   #14
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Forget about the Flames of the past, this is a new version of the Flames.

This year was a playoff failure no doubt but can we give them a chance to learn from this before we give up all hope and expect them to never win a playoff game again?

Come on man.
Why are they now learning? Why weren't they learning before?

I was told that the 2019 team was fundamentally more powerful than the 2017 team, which was supposed to be running a much more dependable system than the 2015 team, which was the most successful team I've ever seen because they only lost in the second round in 5.

That's pretty sad. I'm tired of all the losing. It's embarrassing and almost unmatched. The 2020 Flames can go all-out, they can land whomever they want in UFA, but I will not expect them to have any success until they actually show up for once and do it. It's not like I owe them any dedication -- I've been watching them for twelve years now and they still haven't won a single regulation game past the first round. The only other teams to achieve that miserly distinction in that timeframe are the Florida Panthers and the Toronto Maple Leafs, but at least those teams have first-overall talents.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 04-30-2019 at 12:19 AM. Reason: forgot the leafs
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 02:08 AM   #15
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Think about the Caps and how many embarrasing losses to Pens in round 2 they had to endure. They never blew the core, Backstrom, Ovie, Holtby, Carlson... Sometimes you need to learn to lose before you can win.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gamesaver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 02:44 AM   #16
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

All the doom and gloom on display is getting very old in my opinion. I'm counting on the Flames being consistently good for a good bunch of years now, and I really look forward to next season. The way I see it we played really bad, way below team standard, for large portions of the playoffs, but it still came down to two heart breaking OT losses where we might just as well have won if certain players would have buried their chances, including missing an open net. It's crap, but it happens. Focus for this team is now shifted from just making the playoffs to actually do some damage in the playoffs, and I look forward to the upcoming seasons. What's the point of whining through the off-season, really? We got a good thing brewing here!
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 04:03 AM   #17
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Think about the Caps and how many embarrasing losses to Pens in round 2 they had to endure. They never blew the core, Backstrom, Ovie, Holtby, Carlson... Sometimes you need to learn to lose before you can win.
The Caps made the playoffs every year and made the 2nd round every year while having great regular seasons. They kept losing to a team with 2 generational talents and i think lots of people saw that if they got over the hump if they beat the Penguins which is exactly what happened.

I dont see how that is comparable to a team that has won its division once and lost in 5 games to a team that wouldnt make the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years with their point totals. And our core missed how many playoffs earlier? Comparing us to Washington is dumb they have been a consistant team every year that took the Penguins to the brink everytime. I cant stress enough how bad our loss this year was, we lost in 5 games with home ice advantage to the freaking 90 point Avs. This is in no way comparable to taking Crosby and Malkin to 7 games every year while winning rounds and having great regular seasons.

This team has the pieces in place but no #1 Centre and wont be successful until it does. We dont have the luxury of "learning to lose" since all we have been doing is lose in 4 or 5 games any of the last 3 times we faced actual nhl teams (if we even made the playoffs). Sorry for the rant but its frustrating seeing people compare us to freaking washington. They had more playoff series wins in 4 years (excluding their cup winning year) than we had in 30. This team is never going anywhere with Monahan as our #1C. Rest of our pieces however i agree i think they are fine but we are missing something crucial.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #18
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

100% of the questions on this poll are dumb.

Get rid of Neal? Sure, but how?

Give players locked into long term contracts a raise? Why and how?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:08 AM   #19
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Sometimes you need to learn to lose before you can win.

What does this even mean?

The Flames certainly know how to lose.

They need to learn to win in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 AM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

No surprise regarding the players the fans want gone but 30% is surprisingly high for Monahan.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote