Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #261
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only explanation I can muster is that she absorbed the power from the tesseract and it's part of her, no other character has that?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #262
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Not sure if this post was directed at me or at Pizza, but all that I am asking is why is Captain Marvel so powerful. From her origin story, I didn't get the impression that standing next to an explosion would make someone the most powerful being in the galaxy, but that seems to be what happened. Maybe there was something that I missed. No reason to take offense.
If you're looking for some kind of in-universe explanation, here's an excerpt from the Marvel wiki

Quote:
After being separated from the other Infinity Stones, the Space Stone came into the possession of the Asgardian king Odin. It was housed inside a cube, which would be known as the Tesseract. It possesses the potential to create infinite energy, which can be used to create wormholes to other parts of the universe and different dimensions.
So Danvers got hit with the power of infinite energy in an uncontrolled blast. As mentioned above, Infinity War Thanos probably would have wiped the floor with her as he knew how to control all of the stones. But Endgame Thanos didn't have them for long enough. I still don't like Captain Marvel as a character precisely because she's too over powered and doesn't have any depth, but explaining her powers isn't much different than any of the other characters. Hell look at Wanda, she got her powers from the Mind Stone staff. But she was about to rip Thanos apart by herself before he had his ship open fire
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #263
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
That's nice. Sheep dont complain. Be a sheep

People are asking why the change but try adding to the conversation.
You use initialisms like "SJW" without irony, don't you.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #264
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's nice. Sheep dont complain. Be a sheep

People are asking why the change but try adding to the conversation.
Jesus Christ man.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #265
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because $$$

Disney, seeing how crazy successful its Frozen movie was among young girls and the amount of money it brought in, realised they could capitalise on it again with a strong female superhero in the MCU. One that wouldnt take a back seat to the male superheroes

Among all the females in the Marvel comics, Ms. Marvel made sense to them. But then, they changed everything about her. Her look, her story, her powers. They even changed her name to Captain Marvel.

In the comics, she was an Avenger, but wasn't a key player in the Infinity War storyline. Heck, I dont think even Silver Surfer or Sentry in the comics was as strong as the MCU portrayed Captain Marvel to be. If anyone have ever watched the '90s Xmen cartoon, she's as strong as Rogue (as Rogue stole Ms. Marvel's powers and put her in a coma) and Rogue wasnt considered a key member in that series.

So congratulations Disney Execs. They saw this feminist movement and every non comic fan is eating this character up while the Execs rode it's wave to another billion+ dollar franchise in Captain Marvel. Every young girl is buying up her merch and the only thing missing is a catchy "let it go" song
This post scored a perfect 10 on the impotent nerd rage scale. Congrats.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #266
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I presume that Cap somehow found a way to return it to Asgard in 2013, but there are a lot of holes that arise when one thinks of Cap's journey to return all the stones, let alone returning Mjolnir
Is cap capable of using the stones? If so, he could use the space stone to put everything else back. Then he just needs to return the space stone to Earth.

If he's not capable of using the stones, he needs to get in touch with someone who can transport him across space and into Asgard.

Edit: it's also possible he could have assistance from a powerful being, like Thor's mother. It could explain why she was so unsurprised to see future Thor.

It would have been really cool if they'd included unnoticeable shots of Cap sneaking around in the background in disguise.

Last edited by blankall; 05-07-2019 at 10:31 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #267
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

To take it back to my original and only post so far as time goes on I realize more and more that I wasn’t a fan of professor hulk. I get it, character growth or whatever but it felt dumb to have the sledgehammer of the universe be neutered. From his hiding after the thrashing last movie to just never doing anything again. I don’t know it felt weird.

Maybe it was setting up professor hulk to take the scientist/smart guy mantle from tony in the future but you don’t have him do anything at all? Just some funny dialogue and a finger snap? Felt like a big missed opportunity. Even if he lost I’d have liked that final big fight to have had a hulk Thanos face off that didn’t end with him getting utterly destroyed before the “big 3” jumped in for the finale.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #268
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because $$$

Disney, seeing how crazy successful its Frozen movie was among young girls and the amount of money it brought in, realised they could capitalise on it again with a strong female superhero in the MCU. One that wouldnt take a back seat to the male superheroes

Among all the females in the Marvel comics, Ms. Marvel made sense to them. But then, they changed everything about her. Her look, her story, her powers. They even changed her name to Captain Marvel.

In the comics, she was an Avenger, but wasn't a key player in the Infinity War storyline. Heck, I dont think even Silver Surfer or Sentry in the comics was as strong as the MCU portrayed Captain Marvel to be. If anyone have ever watched the '90s Xmen cartoon, she's as strong as Rogue (as Rogue stole Ms. Marvel's powers and put her in a coma) and Rogue wasnt considered a key member in that series.

So congratulations Disney Execs. They saw this feminist movement and every non comic fan is eating this character up while the Execs rode it's wave to another billion+ dollar franchise in Captain Marvel. Every young girl is buying up her merch and the only thing missing is a catchy "let it go" song
What the #### are you talking about? Carol graduated to Captain Marvel in the comics back in 2012. 7 years before the movie was released and 3 years before the movie was even announced. Carol almost didn't even become Captain Marvel as well! It was this close to being taken over by the hero Gravity. Marvel editor Stephen Wacker was the one who had to push for this to happen as a ton of Marvel execs were against the idea.

Carol has always been exceptionally strong and when she was Binary was one of the strongest heroes on earth. Since she became Captain Marvel her powers are more on display and she's consistently shown as one of the strongest heroes in the MU. What we saw on screen is a pretty accurate level of her powers. Where there may be some discrepancy is that the MCU has depowered a lot of their characters, with Thor being the most noticeable. Infinity War Thor is pretty much standard 616 Thor power levels. Carol never got nerffed, and so she is, accurately, one of the strongest characters in the MCU.

Last edited by Cole436; 05-07-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cole436 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #269
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I had typed up something up about Thor being depowered, and Captain Marvel essentially kept her power level the same, but Cole beat me to it.

Also, if anyone is wondering, MCU's earth is 199999, not comic's earth 616
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #270
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thor getting nerfed was also neccessary for the storyline.

Thor without out one of his OP weapons was able to beat Hulk in Ragnarok. Thor + Stormbreaker almost beat Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet in Infinity War.

Thor + Stormbreaker + Mjolnir would have easily beat Thanos sans Infinity Stones in End Game - so they made the decision they needed him to be nerfed/fat (which also was a pretty fun part of the movie).

And the whole reason they brought Mjolnir back was so Captain America could pick it up - which was complete fan service but also 100% amazing.

Still don't understand the complaints about Captain Marvel - she's a pretty accurate representation of what she's been in the comics since 2012 and as Binary before that. She was in Infinity War for a combined total of 8 minutes and didn't really play a "huge" role in the end result in the big scheme of things.

Much like Thor when the time comes that she needs to be nerfed they will figure out a way to do so that fits in the MCU and in the storyline.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #271
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Best to keep those women down huh. Can't have them enjoying any sort of equality. If young girls/women are getting excited about a female comic book hero then I say it's about damn time. There are enough male heroes and there is plenty of room for strong female characters. And who the #### even cares? They change character power levels all the time.
Strong characters overcome adversity, have many flaws but prevail. Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Wonder Woman, Kathryn Janeway, Natasha Romanoff etc.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #272
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Not sure if this post was directed at me or at Pizza, but all that I am asking is why is Captain Marvel so powerful. From her origin story, I didn't get the impression that standing next to an explosion would make someone the most powerful being in the galaxy, but that seems to be what happened. Maybe there was something that I missed. No reason to take offense.
It wasn’t it was addressed at anyone who’s going to let the female splash panel become their only talking point about the movie.

For Marvels powers, in her movie she’s had them for a couple years and with amnesia.

She’s had them for a couple decades at this point so it’s fair to say she’s pretty down with them.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #273
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
This post scored a perfect 10 on the impotent nerd rage scale. Congrats.
9/10 for me. Needed a mention of Chads or Stacys to reach a perfect score.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #274
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
9/10 for me. Needed a mention of Chads or Stacys to reach a perfect score.

Shut up Chad sheep.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #275
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

NM Double post.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #276
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmebruce View Post
i had typed up something up about thor being depowered, and captain marvel essentially kept her power level the same, but cole beat me to it.

Also, if anyone is wondering, mcu's earth is 199999, not comic's earth 616
According to this clip it's earth 616

https://twitter.com/user/status/1125853902803542017
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #277
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my take on the girl-power scene...

To me, all the best moments in this movie are kinda fanservishy things that are leveraging relationships in previous movies, whether it's about Thor and Captain, Thor and Banner, Parker and Stark, Black Widow and Hawkeye, Racoon professing his sense of loss of his family, or even a grief-stricken Scarlett Witch nearly single-handedly destroying Thanos. One thing that MCU has generally let slide is establishing female relationships, beyond Gamora and Nebula (who are an awesome storyline both in GotG and here). Marvel just anchors their female characters to the closest male character, narrative-wise. Then when they try to have a moment here between female characters, it comes off a little flat because there's no emotional underpinning compared to all the little moments between male or male/female relationships that came out in the movie.

All of which is to say that scene was totally fine. But it highlights what MCU could work on doing better in their handling of female characters going forward. Focus less on 'woman in a man's world' stories and have more female friendships, mentor relationships, etc.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #278
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
According to this clip it's earth 616

https://twitter.com/user/status/1125853902803542017
Kinda weird, since multiple sources site MCU as 199999

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-199999

This is kinda nuts. Pretty big revelation.

Last edited by TheyCallMeBruce; 05-07-2019 at 04:02 PM.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #279
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Earth 616 has been referenced quite a few times. It was one of the dimensions showing on the portal screen in Into the Spiderverse.

616 was also the number on the cage where Ant Mans van was kept in storage for the 5 years post snap.

Neither are definitive but interesting Easter eggs imo.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #280
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Kinda weird, since multiple sources site MCU as 199999

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-199999

This is kinda nuts. Pretty big revelation.
Few things. That wiki link doesn’t seem to mention why they think the MCU is earth 199999. Seems arbitrary, no? Unless it’s been specifically stated by a trustworthy source, I’m not sure we can say for sure what earth they’re on

Also since everyone is speculating that Mysterio is BSing Spidey and Fury, I don’t think we can yet accept that clip as proof that the MCU is 616.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote