Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #321
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Heh, I was actually just home with the kid.

Here's a great video of the Sunday night immediate post-game celebration.

There are..... a lot of naked people in that video...
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #322
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The betting line on "best hockey nation" is certainly starting to swing.

I see crowds like those and makes me want to see a true World Cup of Hockey very badly. One with players in mid season form and where the stakes are high.

It will never be soccer because of the number of countries that are competitive, but a legitimate tournament with some best of 3 knockout rounds. Let it take a month to play. Fine by me.

It could be done but the NHL runs the show and NHL owners dont want that.

It's hard to start and maintain a tournament. Whatever momentum gained from the 2014 Olympics or 2016 world cup is gone.

The soccer world cup has had 21 editions and 8 winners. And its only gotten big since I wanna say 82. The expanded 24 team format.

The baseball world classic has had 4 editions and is barely off the ground.

Last edited by GirlySports; 05-28-2019 at 11:56 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #323
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It could be done but the NHL runs the show and NHL owners dont want that.

It's hard to start and maintain a tournament. Whatever momentum gained from the 2014 Olympics or 2016 world cup is gone.

The soccer world cup has had 21 editions and 8 winners. And its only gotten big since I wanna say 82. The expanded 24 team format.

The baseball world classic has had 4 editions and is barely off the ground.
Yep I hear you. Hockey had something very close with the Olympics but money got in the way. So the fans lost out.

The Canada Cup was also very good.

There is great history of international hockey play involving NHL players, from '72, the touring Soviet teams, Canada Cup etc. now it all seems stalled. Going to require some different leadership from the NHL I imagine.

I like how the NBA commish has talked about shortening the regular season, introducing tournaments etc. I hope we start to see some fan friendly creativity from hockey eventually.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #324
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should change 'Finland' to 'Funland', am I right fellas??
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #325
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
They should change 'Finland' to 'Funland', am I right fellas??
I prefer WINland.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vilzeh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 12:08 AM   #326
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yep I hear you. Hockey had something very close with the Olympics but money got in the way. So the fans lost out.

The Canada Cup was also very good.

There is great history of international hockey play involving NHL players, from '72, the touring Soviet teams, Canada Cup etc. now it all seems stalled. Going to require some different leadership from the NHL I imagine.

I like how the NBA commish has talked about shortening the regular season, introducing tournaments etc. I hope we start to see some fan friendly creativity from hockey eventually.
Yes basketball has a revamped 32 team world cup this September in China. It's really going to push the sport forward.

Canada is in Group H with Australia, Lithuania, and Senegal.

There is no room for fan friendly events in the NHL. It's a nickel and dime league. Let's have another outdoor game between Chicago and Boston.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #327
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^Does anyone really care though? Certainly not on a FIFA scale. The NBA is more interesting. I would say that really only the Olympic events or the World Cup surpass league interest in most sports(maybe Rugby WC as well).

The Olympic tournanent was good for Canada because it was more of an all star game format where talent wins out. They were not even allowed to practice.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-29-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #328
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
I prefer WINland.
Geezus... slow down, Kevin Lowe!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #329
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
^^Does anyone really care though? Certainly not on a FIFA scale. The NBA is more interesting. I would say that really only the Olympic events or the World Cup surpass league interest in most sports(maybe Rugby WC as well).
What? No, that's only America.

Here's a rough guide to how sports audiences work:

- Americans watch only sports they invented, and then only if it's played in America. (And even then mostly just their own team.) There's a few exceptions like the Olympics, but not really that many.

- Everyone else goes crazy over international sports in general (and football).

If your country is playing in a prestigious tournament, it doesn't matter if you've never watched that sport, it's big news and everyone cares. That's how you suddenly get a million Finns (20% of the population) to watch a FIBA world cup basketball game even if the local basketball league is so small I'm not sure if all the games are televised. (Finland has I think only made the FIBA world cup once.)

In general when it comes to the not-major-powers of the world (basically meaning the countries which don't regularly kick the crap out of smaller countries in wars), national pride is often very deeply connected to (team) sports, and almost any sport will do.

Also, any sport which is watched in India and/or China are huge. For example, Cricket World Cup gets twice the audiences of Superbowl because India watches that. When China plays in the FIBA world cup, that's instantly 50 million eyeballs on every one of those games.

So yeah, FIBA World Cup is actually a really big event. Total TV audiences way over half a billion, tickets sold are in the hundreds of thousands. When your country is playing, something like 10% of the population can easily be watching. Quadruple that if that country actually cares about basketball.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #330
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

FIBA sounds like a made-up event involving Jason Statham fighting Jason Bateman.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #331
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks Itse, I still cannot get excited about FIBA, or the Cricket World Cup. I have been to many world championship events in niche sports that I have an interest in(judo and water polo)in Canada and around the world. They are world class and attended very poorly in Canada. It’s not American thing.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 05-30-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #332
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1133845079150538752
Old 05-30-2019, 03:48 PM   #333
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Thanks Itse, I still cannot get excited about FIBA.
Well, basketball does suck. I tried watching when Finland was playing, but really couldn't get into it.

Basically only the last ten minutes matter, and that takes forever to play out in real time. More or less the same every game.

Then again some people even watch baseball.

(Also, my description was a bit tongue on cheek. But FIBA World Cup is one of the larger sports events in the world.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #334
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Doesn’t this make it all the more embarrassing that we don’t win every single time?

Canada has a weird insecurity about hockey. We are abnormally arrogant about it and per capita not as good at it as Finland or Sweden.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #335
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Doesn’t this make it all the more embarrassing that we don’t win every single time?

Canada has a weird insecurity about hockey. We are abnormally arrogant about it and per capita not as good at it as Finland or Sweden.
The breakdown actually makes perfect sense.

There are professional leagues overseas. Why would someone move to North America and learn a new language to play on the 4th line for their careers??

So the best come over for the money and glory.

And North Americans fill in the holes at the bottom.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #336
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

We do win almost every time the best players are involved. Nobody bats 1000 in single elimination tournaments.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:22 PM   #337
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Well, basketball does suck. I tried watching when Finland was playing, but really couldn't get into it.

Basically only the last ten minutes matter, and that takes forever to play out in real time. More or less the same every game.

Then again some people even watch baseball.

(Also, my description was a bit tongue on cheek. But FIBA World Cup is one of the larger sports events in the world.)
Thats because they are the drunkest of any sports fans. With out beer.....

Also I never heard of Fiba until this thread.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 12:25 AM   #338
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The breakdown actually makes perfect sense.

There are professional leagues overseas. Why would someone move to North America and learn a new language to play on the 4th line for their careers??

So the best come over for the money and glory.

And North Americans fill in the holes at the bottom.
That. You can make a couple of million a year, tax free, in the KHL. Even in the Finnish league you can make something like 250k. Considering how short the career of a typical 4th liner is in the NHL, it's not necessarily worth it to toil in the AHL for a year or three making 60k and risking a career ending injury so that you MIGHT make 600K some day.

As for the tournaments, you can only play about 20 guys at a time. The other 400+ Canadian NHLers are only a pool to draw from, they dont actually matter when you play the games.

After that, you have to consider that every NHL player is somewhat competitive against any other NHLers. Being able to hold your own most of the time against the very best the opposition has to throw at you is basically the minimum requirement to make the league. If you can't do that, you're a defensive liability and likely quickly replaced.

Considering all that, the way Canada has dominated the best-on-best tournaments recently is actually quite remarkable and something you should be proud of. It shows that you haven't just had great players, but those players have come together to form great teams.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 02:30 AM   #339
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how Alberta has half the population of Quebec, yet produces more NHLers.
Alberta's economy is also almost as large as Quebec's, but that's another story.

Alberta also matches up well against British Columbia in both regards.

But Saskatchewan and Manitoba produce more NHLers per capita.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:18 AM   #340
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
We do win almost every time the best players are involved. Nobody bats 1000 in single elimination tournaments.
You’re kind of making the poster’s point by repeating this over and over.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote