Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2015, 11:49 PM   #101
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It may have been his only opportunity to come to Canada. It's only two weeks.

Really cool. It'll be interesting to keep tabs on him.
kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:24 AM   #102
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kid's got a wicked backhand. Those were some pretty dangles. Hope he turns into a good player in the future.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #103
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see what he turns into because we heard about him so early.

It was interesting to watch Crosby and Ovechkin's career path, and I don't think I heard of them until they were 15 or 16.

Can you imagine after the McDavid-Hall years, the Oilers tank again for this kid? Haha
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #104
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

That backhand short side was Johnny-esque
Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #105
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Why is he playing hockey now? He should be playing soccer or some other sport. Every study ever done says they playing hockey in the spring or summer does not make anyone a better hockey player.....
A different ball game if you're playing hockey in Japan.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #106
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
This kid is exactly why the NHL would be long-term dumb not to go to the Olympics in Korea. Japan, Korea, and North China get cold and they are full of people who can afford to play hockey. As the NBA learned with Yao Ming and Jeremy Lin, all you need is one.

There is a huge potential market in that part of the world and it would be short-sighted of the NHL to miss the best opportunity to showcase the sport to the region.
China? I am pretty sure he is from California and hasn't been anywhere near China other than maybe a vacation.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #107
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
China? I am pretty sure he is from California and hasn't been anywhere near China other than maybe a vacation.
They still love him there. I think he's played internationally for China/Taiwan.

But the posts about having 1 guy in the show from a region will bring in legions of fans.

Look at clubs like Chelsea, Man U and Real. They have fans all over the globe. They could just sit there doing nothing and make money.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #108
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
He's Taiwanese but born in California.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 PM   #109
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

And, as someone who lives in taiwan I can tell you I have never seen anything like the way this country reacted to Linsanity. It was absolutely incredible, in a week there were jerseys, merchandise, books... His face is still everywhere, he's got giant billboards for Adidas all over taipei. One chinese or Korean NHL player and you're talking several million new hockey fans instantly.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #110
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One chinese or Korean NHL player and you're talking several million new hockey fans instantly.
Richard Park? Or does he qualify more as a Korean American than a Korean who moved to USA?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #111
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
They still love him there. I think he's played internationally for China/Taiwan.

But the posts about having 1 guy in the show from a region will bring in legions of fans.

Look at clubs like Chelsea, Man U and Real. They have fans all over the globe. They could just sit there doing nothing and make money.
Quote:
And, as someone who lives in taiwan I can tell you I have never seen anything like the way this country reacted to Linsanity. It was absolutely incredible, in a week there were jerseys, merchandise, books... His face is still everywhere, he's got giant billboards for Adidas all over taipei. One chinese or Korean NHL player and you're talking several million new hockey fans instantly.
yes agree with everyone this is why the NHL would be really short-sighted if they didn't go to the Olympics in Korea.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #112
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I forgot about Richard Park. I suppose it should be said that this player needs to do something to get media attention. Lets say, play for a Cup Winner, or score a couple of important goals in the playoffs.

If there were an Asian player who'd done what Gaudreau did this season it would be bananas.
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #113
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
I forgot about Richard Park. I suppose it should be said that this player needs to do something to get media attention. Lets say, play for a Cup Winner, or score a couple of important goals in the playoffs.

If there were an Asian player who'd done what Gaudreau did this season it would be bananas.
But hockey just isn't on tv there. Basketball is a popular sport in Asia so the emergence of players like Yao Ming and Jeremy Lin and others have added to that popularity. Basketball is also an exciting sport that showcases it's stars. The NHL does the opposite, it's all about team.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:14 AM   #114
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
if there were an asian player who'd done what gaudreau did this season it would be bananas durian.
ftfy
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 AM   #115
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:

Jim Paek - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Paek

2 cups with Pittsburgh. He's also in the HHoF.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #116
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

His sweater is in the hhof. He's not. Also, well before the current era of global media and YouTube sensations.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 AM   #117
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
But hockey just isn't on tv there. Basketball is a popular sport in Asia so the emergence of players like Yao Ming and Jeremy Lin and others have added to that popularity. Basketball is also an exciting sport that showcases it's stars. The NHL does the opposite, it's all about team.
They play the games here in China. It's CCTV 5+ I think. THey usually play a game from the day before at night and sometimes play a live game in the morning with Chinese announcers in HD.. I don't think many people watch it though.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #118
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:
His sweater is in the hhof. He's not. Also, well before the current era of global media and YouTube sensations.
Ohhh... it's his sweater in the HHoF, not him! Oh man, I'm sorry, I was so confused about that.

What you're saying is he's before your time so he's not relevant.

I remember the fervor when he came into the league. It was a big deal that he was the first Asian.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #119
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthma View Post
Ohhh... it's his sweater in the HHoF, not him! Oh man, I'm sorry, I was so confused about that.

What you're saying is he's before your time so he's not relevant.

I remember the fervor when he came into the league. It was a big deal that he was the first Asian.
I believe this was sarcastic, but there is a huge difference between contributing memorabilia and actually being inducted, your post said "He's also in the HHOF".

Paek played in an era before interent sensationalism and mass/ social media. The interantional interest just couldn't be hyped up the way things can be done today. And he was no poster boy for NHL Asia or anything, back in 92/93 the focus was on expanding in the Southern US states, not exposure to Asia.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #120
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

paul kariya
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote