Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #321
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In which case, the thoughtful, well-developed villain from Infinity War is truly dead within the first ten minutes, and the villain for the remainder of the movie is a one-dimensional "destroy everything" evil evil evil bad guy with nothing interesting about him. Hence why people are a little cold about it.
I would disagree with that characterization.

When he sees himself killed Nebula and Gamore are mad and Thanos calmly says That is Desinty Fufilled. Which to me made him compelling in either timeline.

He then changes his plan to kill and rebirth a universe that has never known the suffering of losing half of itself. So I don’t think he became one dimensionsal looking for revenge until he started losing the fight.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #322
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

other than showing up in endgame (which i missed) was anything else done with the Howard the Duck after the post-cred scene in GOTG? Did he show up elsehwere? I made it two movies into my Marvel rewatch before bailing
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #323
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
other than showing up in endgame (which i missed) was anything else done with the Howard the Duck after the post-cred scene in GOTG? Did he show up elsehwere? I made it two movies into my Marvel rewatch before bailing
He has a line in GOTG 2 voiced by Seth Green.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #324
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Finally got around to seeing this yesterday. I'm a little surprised that nobody has brought up the significant plot hole of Gamora's inexplicable presence in the 'present' given she is Very Definitely Dead™ the same way Black Widow is. Sets up a potentially useful plot device for GOTG3, though I still don't have very high hopes for that one. Neither, apparently does Marvel since they felt they need Thor to prop that series up.

Captain Deus Ex Machina's two scenes felt tacked on. Like they weren't sure if her character would resonate until the very last minute. But I liked what they did with most of the rest of the characters. Helped close a number of story arcs.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #325
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

GOTG3 will be all about them trying to find Gamora. That much was obvious.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #326
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Finally got around to seeing this yesterday. I'm a little surprised that nobody has brought up the significant plot hole of Gamora's inexplicable presence in the 'present' given she is Very Definitely Dead™ the same way Black Widow is. Sets up a potentially useful plot device for GOTG3, though I still don't have very high hopes for that one. Neither, apparently does Marvel since they felt they need Thor to prop that series up.

Captain Deus Ex Machina's two scenes felt tacked on. Like they weren't sure if her character would resonate until the very last minute. But I liked what they did with most of the rest of the characters. Helped close a number of story arcs.
If Gamora’s presence in inexplicable so is Thanos’. I thought it was very explicable. She traveled through the micro verse along with Thanos and them when darkest timeline Nebula let them through. She’s alternate universe Gamora. Easy peasy!
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #327
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Good point on Thanos. But that just makes it worse. The problem then becomes the fact that the magic red potion was presented as one vial = one person. So how did one vial bring an entire warship and innumerable troops forward in time? If one vial can move that many people, then the Avengers had plenty of red potion for multiple trips. That's really the kind of inefficiency and waste that Banner and Stark should have avoided.

Also, given how many big brains are in the group, someone should have clued into "oh hey, we can save Natasha the same way" at that point.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #328
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Good point on Thanos. But that just makes it worse. The problem then becomes the fact that the magic red potion was presented as one vial = one person. So how did one vial bring an entire warship and innumerable troops forward in time? If one vial can move that many people, then the Avengers had plenty of red potion for multiple trips. That's really the kind of inefficiency and waste that Banner and Stark should have avoided.

Also, given how many big brains are in the group, someone should have clued into "oh hey, we can save Natasha the same way" at that point.
Listen pal if you’re gonna bring logic to a comic party you’re gonna have a bad time.

They could bring everyone because like evil Nebula had the machine on this end or something. The one vial one trip was for people who were initiating the return trip themselves from somewhere else. She just opened up the gate so that the mothership connection could come through no problem. Ta-da!
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #329
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
They didn't explain it in the movie, but I believe I read that the writers/directors in interviews said that Ebony Maw (who apparently is a scientific genius in his own right) was able to reverse engineer the Pym particles and create more from the sample Nebula gave Thanos.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #330
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Did Nebula purposefully send Hawkeye and BW to get the soul stone because she knew of their relationship and what was required? I was wondering why they would send two characters who had never been to space off alone in space. Damn.
Wow.

That actually makes perfect sense, and is wonderfully dark.

(change of topic)

As for Thanos, he's kind of petty and vengeful the first time we see him GotG1, and if you consider Nebulas background, that to me strengthens the idea of a guy that's ultimately a petty tyrant. He can appear to be gracious when things go his way, but that only lasts as long as nobody disappoints him.

It's really only after he starts acquiring stones that he truly starts taking on the omniscient father -role.

Also, let's remember that one of the first things Thanos does in Endgame Thanos is watch a video of "his children" (meaning the rest of the universe) decisively rejecting his greatest gift to them, then execute him in petty, pointless revenge.

I really liked Thanos in Endgame too. Yes he was different, but to me it made sense, given how different the situation was from his point of view.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #331
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't work if you care about the people in alternate timelines.

As already explained, Gamorra isn't "saved". Thanos brought in a new Gamorra from a different timeline, essentially.

Could the Avengers do the same for Natasha? Yes, theoretically.

However, they'd have to get a pre-sacrifice Natasha from some other timeline, which would mean that
1) The Avengers in that alternate timeline would lose their Natasha, so it would just be transferring their sadness to themselves in another timeline.
2) In that alternate no-Natasha timeline someone else would have to sacrifice themself to get the Soul Stone, so the Avengers in that timeline would lose someone else on top of losing their Natasha. (...further, Natasha is pretty much the only one who has living close friends among the supers post-snap. Ant-Man lost Wasp, Rocket lost Groot, Starlord and Nebula lost Gamorra, Cap lost Bucky, Wanda lost Vision... )
3) According to Dr. Strange, what happened in Endgame was the only string of events that stops Thanos. So if they take away a Natasha from another timeline, they take away that timelines possibility to do the un-snapping.

Bonus: Natasha-from-other-timeline most likely would not approve being kidnapped from her own timeline, especially after someone explains to her that without her someone else and possibly the whole universe will die in that timeline.

(Even further, while it's not explained why Hulk couldn't bring Natasha back when he did his anti-snap, there's a chance the Soul Stone won't allow anything that would undo the soul sacrifice it has been given. (Which I think is perfectly fair.) Even if nobody knows exactly whether this is the case (because nobody knows anything about the Soul Stone really), it's not a risk you want to take.)

By the way, I just realized that the Avengers of "our" timeline actually prevented the snap from ever happening in the timeline where new-Gamorra is from. After all, the Thanos from that timeline left before it happened and died in "ours". He even took his whole fleet with him.

Retroactive success!

Last edited by Itse; 05-14-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #332
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Apparently, Marvel comics was the one that designated MCU as 199999. These people seem to believe marvel did confirm that designation.

Also, apparently we all didn't read the footnotes, because this is what it says in the Marvel Database Fandom

This universe's official designation was revealed in the hardcover of Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #5.

Last edited by TheyCallMeBruce; 05-14-2019 at 08:44 PM.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #333
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

For those of you interested, Kevin Smith sat down and did a Smodcast with the two writers of Endgame. It's a two hour plus podcast but it's pretty entertaining.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 AM   #334
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
For those of you interested, Kevin Smith sat down and did a Smodcast with the two writers of Endgame. It's a two hour plus podcast but it's pretty entertaining.
Wow, I forgot how annoying Kevin Smith is.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #335
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies if this has been addressed already, but since Captain America had to return the infinity stones and Thor's hammer back to their proper timeline, wouldn't he have had to do that with Thanos and Gamora as well? Or does not doing so create a different timeline where Thanos never gets the stones in the first place?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #336
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Apologies if this has been addressed already, but since Captain America had to return the infinity stones and Thor's hammer back to their proper timeline, wouldn't he have had to do that with Thanos and Gamora as well? Or does not doing so create a different timeline where Thanos never gets the stones in the first place?
Yeah, I think so.

There will be a new timeline where Thanos and all his minions disappeared in a flash and none of the Infinity War ever happened.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #337
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Because $$$

Disney, seeing how crazy successful its Frozen movie was among young girls and the amount of money it brought in, realised they could capitalise on it again with a strong female superhero in the MCU. One that wouldnt take a back seat to the male superheroes

Among all the females in the Marvel comics, Ms. Marvel made sense to them. But then, they changed everything about her. Her look, her story, her powers. They even changed her name to Captain Marvel.

In the comics, she was an Avenger, but wasn't a key player in the Infinity War storyline. Heck, I dont think even Silver Surfer or Sentry in the comics was as strong as the MCU portrayed Captain Marvel to be. If anyone have ever watched the '90s Xmen cartoon, she's as strong as Rogue (as Rogue stole Ms. Marvel's powers and put her in a coma) and Rogue wasnt considered a key member in that series.

So congratulations Disney Execs. They saw this feminist movement and every non comic fan is eating this character up while the Execs rode it's wave to another billion+ dollar franchise in Captain Marvel. Every young girl is buying up her merch and the only thing missing is a catchy "let it go" song

You really have issues with anything to do with women in these films don't you? Why don;t you just go post in r/redpill or r/niceguys where you will have company.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #338
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
You really have issues with anything to do with women in these films don't you? Why don;t you just go post in r/redpill or r/niceguys where you will have company.
That's not what r/niceguys is.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #339
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t seen captain marvel but just saw endgame. If she is powerful why wasn’t she there?!? Things like that seem to ruin movies for me, hero rides in and wins a 2 movie long battle in 5 mins.

Was really good though outside the first 40 minutes or so. Was really happy to see in the theatre.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #340
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I haven’t seen captain marvel but just saw endgame. If she is powerful why wasn’t she there?!? Things like that seem to ruin movies for me, hero rides in and wins a 2 movie long battle in 5 mins.

Was really good though outside the first 40 minutes or so. Was really happy to see in the theatre.
She was off saving the rest of the universe. She says as much in Endgame something like not everybody has the avengers.

Only Fury had her phone number. All of infinity war was less than 24hrs. She wouldn’t have know that Thanos had made his move for the Gems until half the universe disappears.

The why didn’t Fury call her in Avengers 1 question would be that he didn’t know it was a space threat until the actual war and Ultron was just earth screwing up.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: