Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #221
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
A condition of approval needs to be met prior to City recommending approval. For example, the panels would have to be reflected in the plan. Prior to release is another option, not required prior to approval, but prior to DP release has to be satisfied. Prior to occupancy means that nothing needs to be provided at time of approval or release, but when the City grants occupancy permits, the applicant will have to have satisfied the condition by then. This is a mechanism to buy time if the precise solution is not known at time of approval.

Edit: I’ll just note that Ryan Pike deleted his tweet about the agreement related to cost obligations. I understand referenced transportation costs were not related to the event management plan (City obligation).

Bunk and I have the nerdiest DM exchanges.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 08:45 PM   #222
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Could CP crowdfund ownership of the flames?? You guys want to own the team?
I'll contribute, but only if you put up half the cost.

Actually no, half the cost + you buy me a coffee or I walk. Take it or leave it.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #223
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Flames news today sucks big hairy donkey balls.

I feel sick.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:46 PM   #224
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

North American sports will never allow community owned clubs.

Except the Packers but they were grandfathered in.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #225
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I'll contribute, but only if you put up half the cost.

Actually no, half the cost + you buy me a coffee or I walk. Take it or leave it.
Deal if you pay coffee for me for the duration of construction period AND also donuts half the time
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #226
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Thank you for this.

This is very realistic. The city is 90% bureaucratic, not responsive to small business and always involved in Ascent of taxes.

When it comes to any issue they are involved they employ the top law firm in Calgary at taxpayer expense. So you cannot hire a better team to combat them.

People are blind.
Actually, the City typically uses internal counsel in lawsuits. The Flames typically hire a variety of firms, depending on the issue. They aren’t involved in a lot of civil litigation. Mostly smaller employment or venue disputes. Edwards uses a fair number of the bigger firms for CNRL, so a lot of top firms might be conflicted out anyway.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #227
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
No one is moving to Quebec. Houston for sure.
The Flames are not moving, this is business negotiation tactics. It amazes me how many jackels are coming out gleefully predicting a move or even hoping for one. You call yourselves Flames fans? F off, you have no idea how much the Flames mean to Calgary or how damn lucky the city is to have an NHL team. For the life of me I don't understand why someone would waste their time on a hockey team message board when they clearly don't give two craps about the franchise. It really pisses me off when I read posters hoping the team moves or that they don't care. Wtf are you doing here then?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #228
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Just (another) bump in the road imo.

One day they will have a new arena, and it will be glorious.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #229
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rookie mayor getting lit up at every turn so far.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #230
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the purpose of Gondek releasing these in tweets anyways? Smells like the city pushed for too much and effed up something, and now doing damage control in going on the offensive trying to paint the other party as the bad guys before any details get released.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #231
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not crazy about the mayor spilling this all on Twitter. Surely they could have cooled off a bit and reengaged after the holidays to find common ground. Now it will be tried in the court of public opinion and both sides will be entrenched.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:06 PM   #232
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Running a business is a risk. No one is making them run it, and citizens shouldn't be on the hook for their business. They got way more than a fair deal from the city. Small businesses are taking risks, why aren't they getting nice deals from the city?
This makes no sense. Fine, you are opposed to any public funds allocated towards the arena. So by your logic any amount of City contribution is unfair to Calgarians. I was going to ask what in your mind would be a fair deal.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:14 PM   #233
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
What's the purpose of Gondek releasing these in tweets anyways? Smells like the city pushed for too much and effed up something, and now doing damage control in going on the offensive trying to paint the other party as the bad guys before any details get released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Not crazy about the mayor spilling this all on Twitter. Surely they could have cooled off a bit and reengaged after the holidays to find common ground. Now it will be tried in the court of public opinion and both sides will be entrenched.
Yeah I don't get why she did this either. It seems like a bad play for something that is incredibly small in the grand scheme. Couldn't this be resolved behind close doors? What does she gain from leaking this out?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #234
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Flames and the City had a deal in place. Gondek is now moving the goal posts.

4.1 million dollars for climate mitigation?
I have never heard of something so stupid in my life. Please anyone, explain this to me!

Murray Edwards is a billionaire. So that means he is corrupt and an ahole. No argument here.

This is all on Gondek though.

If you did not like the arena deal I understand. Yet the City agreed to it.
If I am Murray Edwards I now sue the City. He will win!
Climate mitigation?

Gondek is going to learn a big lesson here really soon.

I am sure others that didn’t like the deal will post here. I get that. Edwards is a ###### bag fine. The City had a deal in place and it is Gondek breaking that deal. 18 months of dealing with Nenshi, and now this on a arena deal.
This is like buying new fighter jets for our military.

Even if the Flames move. Calgary will build a new arena. Every city does. Yet tax payers will pay for all of it. I would prefer a partner to split the difference.

Climate mitigation? Is that the next tax after the carbon tax?
Welcome to the new Nenshi! We had a deal in place. Gondek wants to change that.

I want to be in the media!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chubeyr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:18 PM   #235
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Did you not see the Mayor on the news? How is that NDC and code of conduct for contract negotiation.
I imagine everything she's said has been run through the legal team, walking the line of what she's allowed to say without getting in trouble for it. This isn't an emotional knee jerk. This is still the negotiation.

Anyways, I imagine changing prices and optimistic budgets might have more influence on the goings on today than advertised.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #236
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The Flames are not moving, this is business negotiation tactics. It amazes me how many jackels are coming out gleefully predicting a move or even hoping for one. You call yourselves Flames fans? F off, you have no idea how much the Flames mean to Calgary or how damn lucky the city is to have an NHL team. For the life of me I don't understand why someone would waste their time on a hockey team message board when they clearly don't give two craps about the franchise. It really pisses me off when I read posters hoping the team moves or that they don't care. Wtf are you doing here then?
Obviously I'm a Flames fan but at the same time I don't want the city funding half of it and I understand they can make a #### ton more money if they sell/move.

Building an arena for an NHL team makes zero sense from a business standpoint. They make like 20M a year. Their profits would hardly cover the interest.

I'd do the same thing as the Flames are doing. With supply chain issues they are probably looking at 100 million in overages. Would you bank that much money on east village thriving and downtown not being a ghost town all while the team continues to sell out with tickets going up 30%?

Last edited by DJones; 12-21-2021 at 09:23 PM.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #237
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I fully expect that both sides will heavily lawyer up, and this will end up in court and then the truth will come out.

I don't usually believe the spin actions of politicians, we'll probably have a counter press conference by the Flames with their "side".

If the mayor's moving the goal post is a large enough issues, the Lawyers will go to war on both sides costing more millions in taxpayer dollars.

If the Flames leave, we'll never see an NHL team here again, The Stamps will fold.

This is going to play out in the court of public opinion and screaming rage for the next year.

But I do think that our new mayor is a bit of a wing nut.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 12-21-2021 at 09:23 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #238
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Kind of fascinating watching people vocally against government spending in most areas turn 180 and criticise the government for, in their words, looking for a better deal and to avoid spending more money.
100%. Flames fans who don't understand how construction costs work are giving the equivalent opinion of police officers if you asked them what they think of defunding the police.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #239
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its Edwards. Man will stop at nothing to get a favourable deal for himself; hold the line council
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #240
Chi-Town Hustler
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But won't you locals complain about higher ticket prices once a new arena is built?
Chi-Town Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good