Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #1561
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yay??

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...-D0i2GAyTQVLoE

Quote:
The Canadian government is preparing to commit to initially building three new warships despite concerns the project has gone billions of dollars over budget.

The first tranche of the controversial Canadian Surface Combatant project would see three vessels constructed at Irving Shipbuilding on the East Coast.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #1562
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is great news, actually.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #1563
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The entry of the Type 26 warship in the Canadian competition was controversial from the start and sparked complaints the procurement process was skewed to favour that vessel. Previously, the Liberal government had said only mature existing designs or designs of ships already in service with other navies would be accepted on the grounds they could be built faster and would be less risky. Unproven designs can face challenges as problems are found once the vessel is in the water and operating. The criteria was later changed by the Canadian government for reasons that are not entirely clear.
At this point I'm just glad that they made a bloody decision. I'm also glad that the construction is being done in Canada. I could wish that concentration on builds would move toward icebreakers and Arctic capable and ready ships, but any move forward is a big step for Canada, as we are horrible at procuring anything. I'm very happy that this is not a second hand, foreign built 1980s rowboat.

Quote:
the price tag has climbed from an original $14-billion estimate to $26 billion and then to $70 billion in 2019.
Quote:
“There doesn’t seem to be a clear rationale when it comes to explaining these cost increases,” Giroux noted during his appearance at the Commons government operations committee. “I’m concerned.”
I would like to put forward my application to the federal government that I am available to work on this project in any capacity, where I will do nothing and will only ask for a small contractor fee of $10B, $5B of which will be returned to the MPs in control of staffing and selection, upon their retirement from politics.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #1564
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a complete and utter ClusterPhuck

I mean the rot is horrendous.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7948266/c...piWdBz4knh5aSU

Quote:
The second-in-command of the Canadian Forces is resigning his role as vice chief of the defence staff following condemnation over his decision to go golfing with Gen. Jonathan Vance while the latter remains under military police investigation.

Lt.-Gen. Mike Rouleau was set to hand over command as vice chief of the defence staff to Lt.-Gen. Frances Allen shortly, who will be replacing him and who will be the first woman to hold the role.
What a complete idiot.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #1565
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My impression of the Canadian Armed Forces is that of an old boys club where sexual harassment is the norm and having fun is the motto.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #1566
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
My impression of the Canadian Armed Forces especially the senior officer corps is that of an old boys club where sexual harassment is the norm and having fun is the motto.
Fixed, although I have known some very very good officers and I have known some horrendous Sr & Jr ranks.

But honestly, it is the senior officers that continue to display the worst judgement.

Sadly, having fun isn't the motto for all ranks.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #1567
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The reaction to this is huge. Mercedes Stephenson who is really awesome on the military side of the news and is a backer of the CAF, literally threw up her hands in disgust on this one.

Its embarrassing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #1568
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

HMCS Cornerbrook is back in the water and on active duty after 10 years of mishaps and refit:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...k-in-the-water

First order of the day: sail from Victoria to Halifax...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:37 PM   #1569
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I pointed it out in the Federal Government Thread, but it looks like Justin and two Cabinet Members are about to be challenged (Sued) by General Fortin who was in charge of the vaccine roll out. Remember he stepped down a little while back due to accusations of sexual misconduct. Now Fortin is accussing Trudeau and the two cabinet members of political interference.

Sounds like the Mark Norman trial all over again, and I still wonder how much we paid Norman to go away.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1404562100572332034

I wonder if the leak on Fortin's incident from years ago was leaked by the government?

Not a good look for a government that has interfered in the courts in at least two cases. SNC Lavalin and Norman.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #1570
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
HMCS Cornerbrook is back in the water and on active duty after 10 years of mishaps and refit:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...k-in-the-water

First order of the day: sail from Victoria to Halifax...

Just in time for a decommissioning ceremony These boats are over 20 years old, even with a life extension program they're pretty much obsolete and a decision has to be made on whether to extend them, look for new ones or end the sub service.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:57 PM   #1571
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

NM, I have pictures of it from the day it left the base, I don't know how to get images uploaded from my camera on here.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-15-2021 at 01:11 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #1572
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just in time for a decommissioning ceremony These boats are over 20 years old, even with a life extension program they're pretty much obsolete and a decision has to be made on whether to extend them, look for new ones or end the sub service.
Some better details on the SLEP upgrades in this article:

https://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/can...returns-water/

Basically - it appears we have the latest in Mk48 torpedoes, a BQQ-10 sonar suite (v7 - technically newer than some USN SSN's), and a new communications mast.

Hopefully other more basic nautical systems (like propulsion) were not overlooked in these upgrades.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #1573
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I vote end the sub service.

We are so far away from being relevant in that space.

Quote:
Old 06-15-2021, 03:18 PM   #1574
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Propulsion and fuel efficiency is a big one, also enhanced quieting. With the newer generation SSNS and I think SSK (Diesel) is that they have next generation sonar and attack systems and are extremely quiet. So upgrading the Victoria's fire control and Sonar Suite though the BQQ-10 is really good, they could still be at a disadvantage.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:58 PM   #1575
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I vote end the sub service.

We are so far away from being relevant in that space.
Like anything, the answer should be to spend the money to do it properly, or don't do it at all.

See if the Aussies will build us 8 of their new Attack class for 60 billion. With our huge coastlines we really should have at least 10 but being realistic.

Doesn't change the problem that we only have 2 full crews at any time but it's a step.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 06:52 AM   #1576
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There are lots of solutions to it, Germany for example builds some excellent coastal defense submarines using Air independent systems.

We shouldn't under any circumstances buy used or decommissioned boats. Submarines wear down quickly. With our vast coast lines we need more then 3 or 4 boats if we are going to use subs as primary defense and intelligence gathering platforms. The emphasis on being arctic ready matters as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 06:55 AM   #1577
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Historically we seem to have primarily used our subs as clockwork mice for the ASW assets to train against. Our government (regardless of political party) doesn't appear to clearly understand the value of a submarine force.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #1578
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should just build our own from scratch and pay some Quebec company to do it. Bombardier is used to building expensive tubes, right?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:46 AM   #1579
Number 39
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Personally I'd prefer we bought Japanese subs as they are making long range conventional subs. Almost no one else has the range/size we require. Also the Australian program is a bit of a mess right now. Not that we will buy anything though.
Number 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Number 39 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #1580
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think you're talking about the Soryu class. The Victoria significantly ou tranges it irrc. However because the AIP the Soryu can stay submerged for a lot longer.

I think the Aussie's shopped it for a while to replace the Collins class, and its a three way competition.