Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #261
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I can't stop staring at it. Something tells me it won't be my last Omega.

PM'd you about the details....
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #262
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah, I can't stop staring at it. Something tells me it won't be my last Omega.

PM'd you about the details....
it's a beautiful looking watch, I'm envious. maybe someday...
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #263
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

I Realize omego is a sponsor of nasa (and Bulova has also been used), but did they have to put that goofy inscription on the bacK? sure, its informational and cool, but a little goofy.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #264
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice Table 5! I received a Speedmaster from my wife a little after I proposed. She wanted to give me some man jewelry in return. Best wife ever.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #265
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
I Realize omego is a sponsor of nasa (and Bulova has also been used), but did they have to put that goofy inscription on the bacK? sure, its informational and cool, but a little goofy.
I don't mind it, being the first watch on the moon is part of the lure of the Speedmaster, and for Omega a pretty big part of it's marketing. It's actually incorrect though to say that it's the only watch on the moon, since on one of the moon missions, one of the astronauts used his backup Waltham.

Btw, Omega wasn't a sponsor of Nasa when they were selected to be the moon watch. Fairly far into the program, Nasa realized they didn't have a watch to go to the moon with, so they sent some guys to a local store in Houston, purchased a few chronographs including Rolex and Longines) and tested them out. The only one that passed their tests without major issues was the Speedmaster. Omega didn't even know about this till they saw photos of austronauts wearing the watch!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #266
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Nice Table 5! I received a Speedmaster from my wife a little after I proposed.
Sounds like a keeper to me!
Old 01-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #267
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the model # on that specific speedmaster Table?

And yeah, Omega isn't a sponsor of NASA, the Omega Speedmaster, as Table said, was chosen by NASA for the NASA astronauts after undergoing testing. Pretty neat.

Last edited by worth; 01-29-2011 at 03:58 PM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #268
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

And yeah, Omega isn't a sponsor of NASA, the Omega Speedmaster, as Table said, was chosen by NASA for the NASA astronauts after undergoing testing. Pretty neat.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f45/ome...-nasa-132.html

THe above quote gives some good details about the progression of which watch to use, and the movement number they considered.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #269
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Funnilly the REAL "moon watch" is NOT the model which is engraved "the first watch on the moon"the 145.022, but the previous models both 105.003, 105.012 and 145.012 !" <- thats pretty funny.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #270
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

"The watch was offered to NASA at the cost of $0.01 per watch. NASA bought a serie of 56 watches after thoses tests" (in 1978)

Depends what you mean by sponsorship. This, would be sponsorship to me. Also, considering how much money they invested into keeping the speedmaster as the "official" watch, I would classify them as sponsors. Although funds were not directly passed from one company to another, there was a deliberate attempt to supply novel technology at next to nothing.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #271
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, over the years they've changed/refined a couple of things with the movement etc, however it's more or less the same thing. If you want the actual watch in every way, you basically have to go back to the 60's.

Worth the model number is 3573.50. You can also get the one with the hesalite (plastic) crystal and the solid back, which is more of the original watch. But I wanted to be able to see the movement, since it's pretty effin fantastic.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #272
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
"The watch was offered to NASA at the cost of $0.01 per watch. NASA bought a serie of 56 watches after thoses tests" (in 1978).
Sure, but that's a good decade after Nasa began using the watch. It would be fairly stupid of Omega not to give them these watches to them for free considering how much attention it brought to the company, but Nasa started using the watches in an organic fashion without any sort of push.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #273
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got a nice little compact yesterday, and had chance to screw around with it's macro setting today. Man do I love looking at the back of this thing!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #274
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

What an interesting thread.. I own one watch and it is a Fossil with a leather band I wear sometimes in the summer.

If I was to look for a nice watch that I could wear with a collared shirt, for cheap, where would you suggest to start? Cheap being around $100.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #275
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no expert by any means, but I think the best bang-for-your-buck brand is Seiko. They're affordable enough for anybody to buy, but are still really well built and respected by all the watch nerds, so most of them you could turn around and sell at a later date if you really wanted.

If you're more into fashion watches, Kenneth Cole seems to be all the rage with some people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #276
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had my eye on this watch for some time now, love the simplicity of it. I have no idea if the quality is any good though.

COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #277
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

What brand is that? It's certainly handsome enough....seems like the type of watch you'd buy at the Moma store or something.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #278
DementedReality
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

honest question .... what does a $5000 watch do that I cant get from a $20 watch?
DementedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #279
Jude
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality View Post
honest question .... what does a $5000 watch do that I cant get from a $20 watch?
As far as keeping time goes...nothing. In fact a $20 quartz watch will more than likely keep better time than a $5000 mechanical watch.

You're pretty much paying for the craftsmanship and aesthetics (and for some people, unfortunately, the status that comes with a nice watch I guess).
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #280
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good timepiece is like a piece of art. You can paint a picture and hang it on your wall for free. Or you can buy a piece by an established artist what has some depth and meaning to it. Same thing goes for watches.

If all you need is to tell the time, a $20 watch is fine. Sometimes they're even better. If you smash them, it's not a big deal.

Generally speaking though, the more expensive watches are automatic watches. They use a mechanical mechanism inside to keep time. If you don't wear the watch for a long time, the energy transfered to the watch by the movement of your wrist dissipates, and you will have to "wind" the watch.

The other kind of high end timepiece is mechanical/manual watches. These you can only wind by twisting the crown of the watch.

20$ watches run on a quartz crystal and battery.

Watches are a hobby for some people. Like any other hobby, you can spend thousands of dollars on them. Some buy for status, or pleasure, or just because it's nice to know you have a quality timepiece that will last forever basically that you can hand down to your kids later in life. If you're a person that spends $1,500 on a suit, $400 on shoes, may as well have a nice watch to go with that as well.

Last edited by worth; 02-07-2011 at 06:21 PM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post: