Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #41
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
What about Lazar?
That just feels like shooting myself in my left foot just because I'm kinda bored with shooting my right one.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #42
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
He plays fast, hard and with jump every shift. He has all the tools to be a difference maker he just needs to put it all together. He has speed, finesse, grit, playmaking and shooting ability; I don't know how anyone can not like the kid.

I know his 2nd and 3rd seasons were a disappointment after his impressive playoff run followed by his successful rookie season but the guy just turned 22.
I'm certain Sam plays hard and wants to be a difference maker. Some think that this part of the issue, he puts too much pressure on himself.

That said, there's no getting around the multiple 10+ game scoring droughts or general ineffective play. Often he looks lost. The bad penalties plaguing his game are because of poor positioning. AC does a good job of putting these clips together, but they are a bit deceiving. It's easy to get excited when your shown nothing but highlights.

Also, you won't have to look too hard to find clips of Crosby (or any other high profile player) hitting posts and setting up teammates who don't finish. Happens all the time. Sure, Sam was a bit unlucky to have not had more bounces go his way, but at least two of his goals were of the 'just throw it at the net' variety. Goes both ways.

Hindsight's 20/20, but he should have been sent to the A, or left sheltered with Backlund and Frolik.

I would like to be more optimistic, but after 240 games it would be a surprise to see him get anywhere near the caliber of player many thought/think he can be.

Last edited by TOfan; 08-15-2018 at 07:13 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #43
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

The way I see it is no matter what side of the argument you are on, give him at least til the end of next season to prove he's not gonna top out as a 3rd liner.

Forget about how long he has been in the league, he just turned 22. I know it's been said many times but not everyone is a Monahan or Tkachuk. Development isn't always linear either.

I will agree if things don't go well next season maybe he won't reach his potential but for now I really like a lot of the flashes I see out of him and still have high hopes for him becoming a top 6 forward.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #44
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
The way I see it is no matter what side of the argument you are on, give him at least til the end of next season to prove he's not gonna top out as a 3rd liner.

Forget about how long he has been in the league, he just turned 22. I know it's been said many times but not everyone is a Monahan or Tkachuk. Development isn't always linear either.

I will agree if things don't go well next season maybe he won't reach his potential but for now I really like a lot of the flashes I see out of him and still have high hopes for him becoming a top 6 forward.
For sure.

I hope he succeeds here, but you also have to wonder if he does take a meaningful step forward, how would he fit in moving forward? He almost certainly would continue to be behind Gaudreu and Tkachuk on the left side. Baring multiple injuries at C, it's unlikely he gets any time back in the middle.

If Bennett's season is basically a repeat of the previous two, he's going to be moving on. He will almost certainly want a fresh start. If he launches into the top 6 impact forward, then the Flames have a good problem on their hands.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #45
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

IF anything I've heard and read about Bill Peters is true. Then the line blender approach will likely see Bennett getting plenty of opportunities in scoring roles and playing with good linemates.

who knows though.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #46
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love these video packages, thank you AC. I have a few lined up to watch this weekend.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
AC