Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #21
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
He's a huge part of this core, unsung in many respects. Look at his Junior #'s and coming into his own in the NHL he's around a 0.5 point per game clip. By year 2 or 3 of this deal he will probably be a $6 mill per year player

He's been way better than Strome btw and Keller will get his $$$
Yes, he will improve, but to live up to this deal he does need to be a consistent 20 goal guy no matter what else he brings to the table. It's a pretty large leap of faith to suggest in 2-3 years he will be in the Couture, Ehlers, Forsberg echelon of player.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #22
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Perron's kind of a journeymen player that's had some good seasons and mediocre seasons and teams are always hesitant to lock up or overpay guys like this. Zucker is 26 and just had season where he put up almost 20 points over his previous career high. If he hit the open market he may have got more money but I don't know if teams would be lining up to give him a 6x6 million contract. The Knights are rolling the dice on Karlsson
because if he repeats last season he's going to warrant a big raise but the 23% shooting percentage is a bit of a red flag as it's just not going to be sustainable and they probably want to see what type of player he is when his shooting percentage is closer to the norm.
I can understand Perron not getting paid as he had a poor playoffs and is old and inconsistent.

But Larkin just gets $6 million per despite only having one 60 point season as well.

Zucker and Karlsson have terrible agents.

Zucker gets $5.5 for 47 points and 64 point in back to back seasons.

His 47 points is more than any of Dvorak, Wilson, Lindholm, or Hertl have ever scored in a season and what are the odds that any of those guys reach 60 points in a season?

I mean it's possible a couple of them hit 60 points. I think it's very unlikely that all of them have a 60 point season.

Karlsson's contract should have started with a 6 as well. Shooting percentage issues aside, he probably hits at least 50 points this season and that's $6 million dollar man money these days.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 08-10-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #23
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Yes, he will improve, but to live up to this deal he does need to be a consistent 20 goal guy no matter what else he brings to the table. It's a pretty large leap of faith to suggest in 2-3 years he will be in the Couture, Ehlers, Forsberg echelon of player.
Today he is worth that salary.. now.. I can say that as someone who has watched almost every game he's played.

He's an extremely valuable member for the team, a do it all player
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #24
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I can understand Perron not getting paid as he had a poor playoffs and is old and inconsistent.

But Larkin just gets $6 million per despite only having one 60 point season as well.

His 47 points is more than any of Dvorak, Wilson, Lindholm, or Hertl have ever scored in a season and what are the odds that any of those guys reach 60 points in a season?

I mean it's possible a couple of them hit 60 points. I think it's very unlikely that all of them have a 60 point season.

Karlsson's contract should have started with a 6 as well. Shooting percentage issues aside, he probably hits at least 50 points this season and that's $6 million dollar man money these days.
If Karlsson repeats this year then he is likely in the 7+ range for a contract.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Today he is worth that salary.. now.. I can say that as someone who has watched almost every game he's played.

He's not though. As an RFA who has never put up 40 points, his current situation does not warrant over $4M.

He has to grow into this deal to make it a good one.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #26
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Sure, he may be a do it all as a player but to date he has not shown enough offensively to make this an automatic win for the yotes. All the comparable deals I've seen put out there already start with a 20-25 goal scoring resume as a minimum for this type of compensation.

Dvorak's 15 goal personal best is way off and he'd have to already be one of the best two-way players in the league to make up for that. He could get there but I don't see the point in gambling on him with a deal like this until he's shown a lot more offensive ability.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 08-10-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

Maybe their agents didn't do a great job but maybe Zucker really likes playing in that market and knows the team has limited cap space? Maybe Karlsson's agent pushed for a long term deal and it was the player betting on himself? There's always factors behind the scenes we don't know about when it comes to contract dealings.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #28
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

Default Bennett's new contract?

I believe this is a very interesting contract as I believe Devorak and Nichushkin are the two closest comparable to Bennett when he is up for renewal after the 18/19 season. Bennett camp will point at the fact he has out produced Devorak at the same age in the same league up to the later getting to the NHL and when he did he was able to get more and better minutes due to being on a bad team. With respect to Nichushkin the both played in the NHL at similar ages with similar production so if Bennett has a season both he, the fan base and management expect him to have look for him to be asking for a very similar contract to this. The two contracts I think management will be looking to are the Faksa and Jarnkok contracts, these are the four contracts I believe will be used to build Bennetts new contract. There are three contracts which may come into play if Bennett has a very good season say something close to a 20+20 season, they would be Horvat, Lindholm and Couturier. Now I believe Bennett is very much in this group when normalizing for league, team and talent. Again he almost perfectly matches Nichushkin in the NHL but out performs Devorak in the OHL at the same age, if you offset Devorak’s seasons back a year they are almost identical.

So that is just my two sense because I am exhausted in hearing people proclaim that Bennett is a bust, when you take this analysis and apply it to the Jankowski & Bennett videos you will see he is really snake bitten and generally the one driving the line from last year. He was definitely not a bust but may have been drafted a little high given how things have played out but one also has to remember ha basically lost an entire season of development so who knows.
FranksandBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For the worst team in the west
Old 08-16-2018, 12:30 AM   #30
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gross.

$1.5M AAV too much for this guy for what he's done right now. Paying through the ass because potential. That's what this is.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:34 AM   #31
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No he's not.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #32
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksandBean View Post
I believe this is a very interesting contract as I believe Devorak and Nichushkin are the two closest comparable to Bennett when he is up for renewal after the 18/19 season. Bennett camp will point at the fact he has out produced Devorak at the same age in the same league up to the later getting to the NHL and when he did he was able to get more and better minutes due to being on a bad team. With respect to Nichushkin the both played in the NHL at similar ages with similar production so if Bennett has a season both he, the fan base and management expect him to have look for him to be asking for a very similar contract to this. The two contracts I think management will be looking to are the Faksa and Jarnkok contracts, these are the four contracts I believe will be used to build Bennetts new contract. There are three contracts which may come into play if Bennett has a very good season say something close to a 20+20 season, they would be Horvat, Lindholm and Couturier. Now I believe Bennett is very much in this group when normalizing for league, team and talent. Again he almost perfectly matches Nichushkin in the NHL but out performs Devorak in the OHL at the same age, if you offset Devorak’s seasons back a year they are almost identical.

So that is just my two sense because I am exhausted in hearing people proclaim that Bennett is a bust, when you take this analysis and apply it to the Jankowski & Bennett videos you will see he is really snake bitten and generally the one driving the line from last year. He was definitely not a bust but may have been drafted a little high given how things have played out but one also has to remember ha basically lost an entire season of development so who knows.
I was thinking a similar thing, Bennett has a massive opportunity to get paid. Does he wanna stay an under 2 million a year player or does he have the drive to get a +20 million dollar contract. With his current play tho he is a quite a bit away from a long term contract like that but if he just shows some consistency I’m sure he could get it. Hopefully he shows progression this year

Last edited by Beninho; 08-16-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote