Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There were so many contributing factors to the late season slide that it's lazy journalism to simply declare that the players lacked the drive to win.
He lacks the drive to perform a quality analysis?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #22
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Very often?

Two Hernias not-withstanding, hes going to have to completely rediscover his timing at the NHL level and nothing will do that other than playing which is why I said I hope he gets as much done in the pre-season as possible...
Yeah, I get that. But I asked because I am honestly curious about whether the timetable for recovery over the summer helps to mitigate the process. In other words, is this a pressing concern for Monahan, or does the long recovery time actually suggest that we should expect him to hit the ground running come training camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, I get that. But I asked because I am honestly curious about whether the timetable for recovery over the summer helps to mitigate the process. In other words, is this a pressing concern for Monahan, or does the long recovery time actually suggest that we should expect him to hit the ground running come training camp?
Hopefully he's one of those guys who is motivated over the summer. He's certainly got youth on his side recovery-wise. And he always seems to be in good shape which I guess speaks to his commitment.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #24
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will not question Monahans motivation. Guy bleeds hockey and being the best. cannot wait to see what he has in store for 18/19. hopefully a healthy season for him.

I wonder if he takes as many slashes as Johnny does.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #25
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

The hernias are probably the biggest barrier for him. Really limits whole-body weight training. A hip/groin or a wrist, in isolation or even together, can be worked around. But hernias leave little but cardio left.

I imagine that he only had one really bad side, but got both done so that the recovery time would overlap. Don't want to go through this again in 5 years.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #26
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Crazy he still put up some pretty decent numbers with essentially one hand.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/maki...ss/c-298952930
It's encouraging to hear it was the last 30-40 games that Monahan was affected by the wrist stuff. Cause he was absolute dynamite in the first 50.

At the rate the top trio were going to that point, they were going to be a top 3 production line in the league pretty easily.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Good to hear that things are progressing. Monahan's by far the best finisher on the team. If he stays healthy, he's in that age range where he should be able to put up a career high for goals.
I think he would've hit 45 goals last season had the injuries not clearly hampered his ability to finish later on.

Am definitely thinking he breaks 40 in the upcoming year, and that's a somewhat generous estimate for him too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #28
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Reporters reportedly asked Sean Monahan whether his recovery is going as expected, and he said it is.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:31 AM   #29
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

After watching Washington operate on the powerplay this postseason, I am really looking forward to seeing Monahan in the high slot next season.

Hoping with Peters and Ward behind the bench that Calgary's new and improved powerplay utilizes Mony is that position (where Oshie has been scoring, creating chances, or drawing attention so other players are getting time and space and scoring).

One can hope that this happens and Johnny is encouraged to move and create space with his quickness, vision, and passing ability on the powerplay next season.

Two big pieces on the first unit that would go a long way in improving the excuse for a powerplay that we all had to endure for 2/3rds of last season.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:33 AM   #30
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
After watching Washington operate on the powerplay this postseason, I am really looking forward to seeing Monahan in the high slot next season.

Hoping with Peters and Ward behind the bench that Calgary's new and improved powerplay utilizes Mony is that position (where Oshie has been scoring, creating chances, or drawing attention so other players are getting time and space and scoring).

One can hope that this happens and Johnny is encouraged to move and create space with his quickness, vision, and passing ability on the powerplay next season.

Two big pieces on the first unit that would go a long way in improving the excuse for a powerplay that we all had to endure for 2/3rds of last season.
I think Ward said "I want to get the goalie moving" so I hope it means a lot of east-west movement. Tampa, Pittsburgh and Washington are good examples of this.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #31
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post

Our PP was putrid last year and I am no fan of Gulutzen, but I imagine that was the plan on the PP, just maybe a few tweaks and better execution will make the difference. And not to mention more Gio and Dougie and less Brouwer.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Our PP was putrid last year and I am no fan of Gulutzen, but I imagine that was the plan on the PP, just maybe a few tweaks and better execution will make the difference. And not to mention more Gio and Dougie and less Brouwer.
It is still a little puzzling how much worse the Flames powerplay was this past season from 2016–17 with essentially the same personnel.

Quote:
Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that there are many valid theories as to why our PP didn't work well last year. It wasn't doing well long before Monahan got hurt, but his injuries certainly didn't help.

The thing to keep in mind is that these coaches, supposedly hired to be the smartest hockey minds available to guide the game plan, had Brodie QB the PP for the longest time, and kept Dougie to a minimal role for far too long. Game in, game out, they thought that THIS was the best way to conduct a powerplay.

Not only is the defensive lineup a problem in itself, it speaks to the incompetence of the people running the show. One of those 'addition by subtraction' situations. Who knows what other kind of natural talents they were suppressing by just getting their minds in the way of the obvious PP choices.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #34
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind Brodie being on PP#1 - he is unquestionably a dynamic player with vision and passing ability. My gripe is that he should at least have been paired with Giordano or Hamilton. Giordano and Hamilton on PP#1 makes a tonne of sense, and hopefully this new regime uses that.

Most teams don't have the benefit of having as many strong offensive defencemen to utilize on the PP. I think those teams should definitely run with 4F, 1D. I think the Flames are much better running 3F and 2D on the PP, given that they have Hamilton, Giordano and Brodie. The next upcoming crop of guys - whomever makes it out of Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington (not to mention Fox down the road) should be on PP#2 with Brodie.

Brouwer should have been banished from the PP the season prior. With Tkachuk and Ferland (and I don't care who is on which PP), you have guys that are better along the boards and quicker at retrieving pucks, they both make better plays/passes, and they both have much better shots. They are also arguably as good as a net-front presence to screen goalies, get tips, and get to those rebounds.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk/Ferland
Hamilton - Giordano (playing off-sides for the one-timer)

Bennett - Backlund - Tkachuk/Ferland
Andersson - Brodie (playing off-sides for the one timer)

That is what I HOPEFULLY see next season. Alternate Jankowski with Bennett or Ferland if/when they run cold to change things up.

I personally think Bennett excels at puck retrieval and making plays, and it may help get his confidence going as well.

Most of all, whomever is out there, that puck has to be moved quicker and the players moving around to create open lanes, better angles and try and confuse the opposition in getting out of position. Way too stationary last season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #35
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is still a little puzzling how much worse the Flames powerplay was this past season from 2016–17 with essentially the same personnel.
The powerplay just looked so much different this year. It was very static, no movement or overlapping; it seemed like players were pinned to their position, then passed it back and forth until someone decided to put a wrist shot off the penalty killers shins, then have them come back the other way on a counter.

Over and over and over and over again. Zero adjustments made. To me, that signals coaching and system rather than player personnel, so not entirely puzzling and I'm hoping Peters and Ward have them watch game tape from last year for ideas on what not to do on a PP.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Reporters reportedly asked Sean Monahan whether his recovery is going as expected, and he said it is.
I see what you did there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #37
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

@Fan960Steinberg
Sean Monahan with a bit of an update for us. Says he’s 100% healthy and recovered from offseason surgeries. Says he “hasn’t felt good in a long time” but can finally shoot the puck the way he wants. #Flames
https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...42012258230272
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

He's getting 40 this year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 06:15 PM   #39
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
@Fan960Steinberg
Sean Monahan with a bit of an update for us. Says he’s 100% healthy and recovered from offseason surgeries. Says he “hasn’t felt good in a long time” but can finally shoot the puck the way he wants. #Flames
https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...42012258230272
1.00 shooting percentage incoming.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #40
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I tried playing soccer with a groin injury and I couldn’t last 20 minutes. How he played 40 games with all the #### he was dealing with is actually amazing. People really do not know how much these guys play through, hockey players are a different breed
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post: