Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #6921
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Does anybody know if the pathway under 17 ave SE/ Blackfoot is open again? It had been closed for construction of the BRT, but looked to be open when I drove over it today it looked to be open. My next ride into work is with a cycling rookie- and that’s a nicer ride than down 9th and then 8th ave.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #6922
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As of last night it was not.
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #6923
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to wbc this morning and rode whitetail, braggin rights and merlin. All three trails were mostly dry and all three also had some wet muddy sections, some might have been as long as 100 feet.

It was nice to be out on wbc. Was frustrated with my bike though as I kept having issues with pedal strike on roots and other trail stuff. Will have to look at my suspension and ride 9 settings, but, I also took it as a sign that I should have a new cranskset, so I did just that and ordered a race face atlas set up (my current rig has the ref cinch system and I did not want to horse around with a new bottom bracket)
Old 05-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #6924
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I messed up. I said I could ride on the 26th but I actually helped plan a conference and forgot the date of it...

So I'm out for a ride on the26th. I could make Sunday the 27th work. If other dates work, let me know.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #6925
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Went to wbc this morning and rode whitetail, braggin rights and merlin. All three trails were mostly dry and all three also had some wet muddy sections, some might have been as long as 100 feet.

It was nice to be out on wbc. Was frustrated with my bike though as I kept having issues with pedal strike on roots and other trail stuff. Will have to look at my suspension and ride 9 settings, but, I also took it as a sign that I should have a new cranskset, so I did just that and ordered a race face atlas set up (my current rig has the ref cinch system and I did not want to horse around with a new bottom bracket)
I hit up WBC in the afternoon yesterday as well, Started on the Allen Bill side. Man it was busy with hikers leaving up but once I hit snagmore it was fine. ended up trying to kill myself but did Snagmore/Boundary Ridge/Rangers Summit/Bobcat/Ridgeback 1/2/Hwy 66 coast back to the lot.

Tons of fun other then running out of water, Bobcat is a lot of fun going down, ever only gone up it previously. Also very very little water on the HWY66 side maybe 10 feet of puddles total with a little bit of mud inbetween snagmore and boundary ridge.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #6926
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't do the 27th, might be able to do this upcoming long weekend if we do not go out of town, TBD at the moment. Other than that my weekends are booked up until July.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:33 AM   #6927
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

That whole weekend is out for me, sorry.

I did find an 11% grade hill to climb this weekend, quite by accident. Gotta love rides where you just want to get to a certain distance so you just keep going.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #6928
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am thinking of this ride on Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
I hit up WBC in the afternoon yesterday as well, Started on the Allen Bill side. Man it was busy with hikers leaving up but once I hit snagmore it was fine. ended up trying to kill myself but did Snagmore/Boundary Ridge/Rangers Summit/Bobcat/Ridgeback 1/2/Hwy 66 coast back to the lot.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #6929
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I am thinking of this ride on Saturday

Just don’t stop for a break at the bottom of bobcat at the intersection with ridgeback 3. There is a territorial grouse there. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #6930
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a new decent cross bike from Bow Cycle and the wheels sound like they are going to break. Originally I thought it was the bb and/or the seat and neither are the problem. Then I thought I would torque the trough axel on both wheels to the proper spec and no change. Anyone had wheels make a ton of creaking noises when riding?Super annoying /noisy ride. Is this normal breaking in?

I am not the lightest rider but this seems pretty crappy.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #6931
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It can be normal for break in. I've had luck just squeezing spokes together where they cross and bind. You will feel them ping a little. Give a try doing that on every spoke cross and see if it fixes it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #6932
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^Will find any potentially lose spokes from break-in as well.

Any suggestions for trails in the mountains, within a few hours drive, that preferably loop back to start and mellow enough for my out-of-shape ass and a less than experienced other? Somewhere with some stellar views and some water would be incredible. I have the remainder of this week off work and sure hope I can get out and do some trails before the long weekend filth shows up.
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #6933
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ easiest one i can think of is on banff. go to the banff springs hotel and drive past, there is a public parking lot there. park there and follow the gravel road - at about the 6k mark there is a picnic area and a footbridge - cross over the footbridge and follow the double track back. very limited climbing until the end where you need to get back to your vehicle.go earlier in the morning to avoid the traffic going thru downtown banff

http://banff.ca/index.aspx?NID=655 there are some nice views from this trail. can also have lunch in banff

canmore nordic ctr also has some options, although i beleive that everything starts with a climb up EKG from the day lodge.

as for bragg creek - you can park by allan bill pond and ride the XC ski trails starting with elbow and iron springs is also a decent trail. once again, wide relative smooth double track with limited climbing. download the trailforks app to your phone and search

anything else in WBC will involve more climbing and roots and will be busy by about 10 am
Old 05-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #6934
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

johnny - if those spokes are loose then get the bike back tot eh shop as they need to all be tensioned.

i'd jsut take the rig back given it is relatively new so they can give it another once over. Go before the long weekend as i'd imagine most shops are now getting really busy
Old 05-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #6935
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Tooling around Altadore and the Glenmore Reservoir today. The gate was open to the Velodome. Couldn't resist a few spins. Quite an adrenaline rush.
Spoiler!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #6936
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

City doing a survey in regards to Pathway and Bikeway plans, provide your input!

https://engage.calgary.ca/pathwaybikeway
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #6937
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Tooling around Altadore and the Glenmore Reservoir today. The gate was open to the Velodome. Couldn't resist a few spins. Quite an adrenaline rush.
Spoiler!
I used to go there for dryland (summer training) for ski racing. its pretty much a blast even if you are on a fixed gear for the first time in your life and decide you want to just coast (nope) or watching your buddy eat it in a corner lol.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #6938
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
johnny - if those spokes are loose then get the bike back tot eh shop as they need to all be tensioned.

i'd jsut take the rig back given it is relatively new so they can give it another once over. Go before the long weekend as i'd imagine most shops are now getting really busy
So I checked all the spokes and they were not lose as far as I could tell (all seems about the same). What I did is put a tiny drop of Teflon oil on each spoke crossing point. Not sure if that cleaned something out or only lubricated it. Not a peep out of the rim now. I will take into bow as soon as I can get there. My ride was a lot less embarrassing and enjoyable after this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #6939
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

According to the link below- Beaverdam Flats is scheduled to re-open Friday afternoon.
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Doc...estoration.pdf

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #6940
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
According to the link below- Beaverdam Flats is scheduled to re-open Friday afternoon.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Doc...estoration.pdf

I might just make it through there for the ribbon cutting!
Surely there will be a ribbon cutting?
Closed Thread