Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 AM   #4921
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I need to buy a bike for my wife and need some suggestions. We are completely recreational, limited to minimal or no off-trail riding, and she needs to be able to pull a chariot with it. Keeping it in the $1000 range if possible would be ideal. Thanks!

She'll be there to try it out and choose the one she likes - just don't know enough to know what I should and shouldn't be looking for.

Last edited by CarlLester; 06-07-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 AM   #4922
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You might want to look at something like this:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5048-4...d-Tape-Bicycle

with the nexus hub. Saves maintenance. You won't be doing big climbs with it, but for your needs it would work well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #4923
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I just downloaded Strava, and used it this morning on the commute.
I stopped at a stop sign about 10 seconds into my ride, and because of the auto pause function it paused.
It never started again though, so when I hit stop when I got to work, it drew a straight route directly from home to work (about 4km less than my actual route), which I "completed" in 37 seconds at an average speed of 427.3km/hr.

What am I doing wrong? Do I have to start the press start again after every time I stop?
Old 06-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #4924
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a one-off glitch. The auto pause function has always worked as intended on the app on my iPhone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #4925
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My buddy has that happen on his iPhone 5, but my iPhone 6 has never had an issue with my stops. I also hit the lock button while the app is running.

Do you also have it set to be able to always track your location, or just when using the app?
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 08:15 AM   #4926
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Do you also have it set to be able to always track your location, or just when using the app?
Might have to check that.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #4927
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I use my Fitbit Surge for my rides and have it push to Strava. The battery is better for longer rides and saves my phone battery. It also adds the heart rate info to Strava which is fun for more data.

Fitbit doesn't have auto-pause for some reason but when Strava gets a hold of the data it performs all the calculations for when you're not moving and removes them from the average speed.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #4928
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You might want to look at something like this:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5048-4...d-Tape-Bicycle

with the nexus hub. Saves maintenance. You won't be doing big climbs with it, but for your needs it would work well.
I would not get overly excited about his bike as it does not have disc brakes.

if your budget is $1,000 you'll be able to find a pretty decent bike with disc brakes. I'd suggest going to visit your local bike shop (LBS). they will have some good options for your wife
Old 06-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #4929
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #4930
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If bikes want to be on the road they should follow all the rules of the road! That means complete stops at stop signs, whether there's oncoming traffic or not!
Damn punk kids and their bicycles! Get off the road!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #4931
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have an idea I've been mulling around in my head for next time someone goes off on a rant to me about cyclists rolling stop signs. My proposal is for that person to grab a lawn chair and join me at a residential 4 way stop. We will each bring a stack of $10 bills, and every time a bike rolls a stop, I will peel off a $10 for them. And every time a car doesn't stop, they can peel one off for me. I am fairly confident as to the outcome.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #4932
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I have an idea I've been mulling around in my head for next time someone goes off on a rant to me about cyclists rolling stop signs. My proposal is for that person to grab a lawn chair and join me at a residential 4 way stop. We will each bring a stack of $10 bills, and every time a bike rolls a stop, I will peel off a $10 for them. And every time a car doesn't stop, they can peel one off for me. I am fairly confident as to the outcome.
You'd have to control for the relative frequency of bikes vs. cars for this to be meaningful. Do it on a percentage basis after an hour or so of watching the intersection. Per capita, are drivers or cyclists more likely to blow though the intersection without coming to a complete stop?

I'm not sure about 4-way stops as I don't encounter any of those on my daily commute, but based on my anecdotal evidence, cyclists are FAR more likely to run red lights than motorists are. And I don't mean speeding through a yellow-turning-red that they really should have stopped for; I mean approaching an intersection where the light is already red and then treating it like a stop or yield sign (or in some cases ignoring it completely and just riding through the intersection at speed as if the traffic signal wasn't there at all) instead of coming to a complete stop and waiting for the light to turn green.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #4933
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rolling stops don't bother me at all, for either cars or bicycles. I think most of them should be turned into yield signs anyways (the stop signs, not the cyclists).

Cyclists can roll through all they want, so long as their estate pays to fix my truck after I run over them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #4934
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
You'd have to control for the relative frequency of bikes vs. cars for this to be meaningful. Do it on a percentage basis after an hour or so of watching the intersection. Per capita, are drivers or cyclists more likely to blow though the intersection without coming to a complete stop?

I'm not sure about 4-way stops as I don't encounter any of those on my daily commute, but based on my anecdotal evidence, cyclists are FAR more likely to run red lights than motorists are. And I don't mean speeding through a yellow-turning-red that they really should have stopped for; I mean approaching an intersection where the light is already red and then treating it like a stop or yield sign (or in some cases ignoring it completely and just riding through the intersection at speed as if the traffic signal wasn't there at all) instead of coming to a complete stop and waiting for the light to turn green.
From my anecdotal evidence, I would guess there would be more cyclists that would go through a red light, after it has turned red, and everyone has stopped. I've seen very few cars that would just go through an intersection with red lights still showing. I see pedestrians do it all the time (crossing on do not cross sign), and cyclists do it now and then. I see way more drivers run lights that are amber or red than I see cyclists run them. One reason might be that cyclists know there are cars coming towards them that are turning left as the light cycle ends, so if they run them, they might be getting squashed.

I see way more cars roll through stop signs than I do cyclists. I also see the cars that never stop where they are supposed to (at the stop line/sign), and usually coast 5-10 feet past the line. These are the scary ones as a cyclist, as you aren't sure if they are going to stop or not. A driver should stop at the line, and then inch forward to see if it's clear, not go 10 feet by it and then stop if there is traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 06-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #4935
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Semi-related, but does anyone else die a little inside when you're waiting to cross a busier road at a 2 way stop, and some driver stops to let you cross?
I appreciate the thought, but I don't trust that the other few lanes of traffic are going to do the same. I'll just wait for the traffic to clear, thanks.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #4936
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Semi-related, but does anyone else die a little inside when you're waiting to cross a busier road at a 2 way stop, and some driver stops to let you cross?
I appreciate the thought, but I don't trust that the other few lanes of traffic are going to do the same. I'll just wait for the traffic to clear, thanks.
I feel like the jerk every time. I give a sheepish wave and go but I hate it.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #4937
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just stare at them like they're an idiot. If they honk or wave at me to go, I point to the stop sign I'm waiting at. Usually this gets the message across that they, not I, have the right of way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #4938
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I know the drivers are trying to be courteous, but as they slow down they basically remove the gap I'm aiming for. I wave them through while yelling that they have the right of way. Unfortunately, the gap has disappeared and I have to wait for traffic to clear.

I typically deal with this situation daily northbound on 26 St SW crossing 26 Ave. Most times it is quicker to dismount and cross as a pedestrian.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #4939
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I feel like the jerk every time. I give a sheepish wave and go but I hate it.
Wave them through. They'll never learn if you don't. I'm a vehicle on the road waiting at a stop sign, don't stop when you have the right of way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #4940
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wave them through all the time. When I used to take 8th avenue north eastbound in the mornings I'd have people stopping on Centre street all the time to try and let me through. Argh.

Also I find if you can somehow stop a farther ways back and still maintain a good visual on the intersection that helps in not having motorists stop for you.
Closed Thread