Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2018, 01:28 PM   #1401
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

team age is often a very misleading stat

especially when you have older goalies and fourth liners ect....or Jagr lol
Old 08-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #1402
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yep, it's all about where the age is and how old they are. Is it a team like Calgary with a bunch of stars and core under 25 and Jagr, plus some older depth that will be gone soon or is it a bunch of stars and core over 30 and depth and role players under 25?

Grand Canyon of difference between what could be the same number in an average.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #1403
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
team age is often a very misleading stat

especially when you have older goalies and fourth liners ect....or Jagr lol
Agreed. Average age of the team's core players would be the best metric. Perhaps the average age of the top forward line, top D pairing and starting goalie?

Anyone here bored enough to get these stats for each team?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #1404
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the average age of teams hides a lot. Older teams tend to round out their roster with young players. Young teams tend to add vets for stability.

At the end of the day, it's all about the core. And the Flames' core is very young, plus Giordano.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #1405
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, the average age of teams hides a lot. Older teams tend to round out their roster with young players. Young teams tend to add vets for stability.

At the end of the day, it's all about the core. And the Flames' core is very young, plus Giordano.
I think top six forwards, top four D and starting goaltender would be a better look at age. Perhaps even top nine forwards as it blends better time wise with the top four D.

Gaudreau 24
Monahan 23
Lindholm
Tkachuk 20
Backlund 28
Neal 31
Bennett 21
Jankowski 23
Frolik 29
Forwards 24.8

Giordano 34
Brodie 27
Hanifin 22
Hamonic 27
Defensemen 27.5

Smith 36
Goalie 36

Team 26.3

You could put Ryan in for Jankowski and add age, but then you could put Czarnik in for Frolik and reduce the age as well
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #1406
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

- Our top 3 forwards are 25 and under in Gaudreau(25), Monahan(23) and Tkachuk(20)
- Lindholm(23) isn't too far behind Backlund and Neal as another one of our top forwards
- Jankowski(23) and Bennett(22) should only get better
- Hanifin(21), Andersson(21), Kylington(21) and Valimaki(19) are solid youngsters on D
- Mangiapane(22), Dube(20), Czarnik(25) and Foo(24) all have potential to be regular NHL forwards

I like the makeup of our team. Just need some clairity on the future in net.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 AM   #1407
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

If 5 lines, 8 defencemen and 3 goalies are going to China, these players are the most likely to make the opening day lineup and the prospect camp roster includes those not going to China, I think we can try to put together the group going to China and the most likely opening day lineup.

One of the better prospects (Valimaki, Kylington, Foo, Dube or Mangiapane) might "break down the door" in prospect camp or the preseason games after the team returns from China.

But this is 26 guys. The confusing thing to me is the 5th forward line because Rychel is not included in the prospect camp roster. None of the four guys on the 5th line below are included in the prospect camp roster. So it feels like the odd man out will be in no man's land.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Bennett - Ryan - Frolik
Lazar - Jankowski - Czarnik
(Rychel or Hathaway) - Quine - Robinson

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
- Stone
- Prout

Smith
Rittich
Gillies

Last edited by Nelson; 09-06-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #1408
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hear me out:

Line 1: Gaudreau Monahan Neal

Bonafide legit first line. Offense first, should be able to put the puck in the net a lot.

Line 2a: Frolik Backlund Lindholm

Elite checking. Defense first but can still chip in offensively.

Line 2b: Bennett Jankowski Tkachuk

Hard crashing physical two-way line that can provide secondary scoring. Tkachuk is obviously the driver. I think he could take the other two to new heights.

Line 4: ? Ryan Czarnik

Mixed bag but pretty good fourth line. Mangiapane Foo Dube Hathaway Lazar etc. fight it out for the last spot. Lazar and Hathaway good candidates for pressbox duty.

Roast away.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #1409
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last season both Lazar and Hathaway were top 12 forwards in games played.

Lazar 65 gp
Hathaway 59 gp
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #1410
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Rychel - Ryan - Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 PM   #1411
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thats a pretty darn good lineup if you ask me. Which is young enough to sustain success for a considerable amount of time. the best thing tre did as GM was to trade hamilton for a haul
RoughRiderRowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #1412
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Rychel - Ryan - Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Thats about the way I see it except Andersson makes the team and Stone is the 7th. Oh, Valimaki doesn't make the team. Kylington does.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #1413
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Thats about the way I see it except Andersson makes the team and Stone is the 7th. Oh, Valimaki doesn't make the team. Kylington does.

I’d guess Andersson is the only new face on D. Valimaki and Kylington should get some time due to injuries. Stone isn’t eating popcorn for 3 mil +. Kulak or Prout is the 7th Dman.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:58 PM   #1414
FlameX
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Lindholm - Backlund - Tkachuk
Bennet - Janko - Frolik
Hathaway - Ryan - Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

Smith
Rittich
Gillies

I personally think Tkachuk and Lindholm should switch positions but I don't how that would affect they're game.
FlameX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #1415
FlameX
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Rychel - Ryan - Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone
Valamaki still needs time to develop. Maybe give him like one more year.

Last edited by FlameX; 09-07-2018 at 12:01 AM.
FlameX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #1416
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the 3rd pair is one of the most interesting parts of the 2018-2019 Calgary Flames.

In my opinion, Kulak is better than Stone because the A3Z charts suggest he is better at entering the other team’s defensive zone with possession, exiting our defensive zone with possession, denying entry with possession into our team’s defensive zone and breaking up other team’s plays.

But I see many people with Kulak gone and Stone in the lineup. I’m wondering if this is because other poster’s think:
-Stone simply isn’t replaceable because of the money he makes;
-Stone is simply better than Kulak and so if the 3rd pair needs to be improved, Kulak should go; or
-the 3rd pair needs to be improved but a LH D prospect (Kylington or Valimaki) should enter the lineup instead of a RH D prospect (Andersson) so Stone must stay.

Personally, I’d keep Kulak and play Andersson next to him because I think that would greatly improve the team’s ability to transition the puck and prevent the other team from doing so.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #1417
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I think the 3rd pair is one of the most interesting parts of the 2018-2019 Calgary Flames.

In my opinion, Kulak is better than Stone because the A3Z charts suggest he is better at entering the other team’s defensive zone with possession, exiting our defensive zone with possession, denying entry with possession into our team’s defensive zone and breaking up other team’s plays.

But I see many people with Kulak gone and Stone in the lineup. I’m wondering if this is because other poster’s think:
-Stone simply isn’t replaceable because of the money he makes;
-Stone is simply better than Kulak and so if the 3rd pair needs to be improved, Kulak should go; or
-the 3rd pair needs to be improved but a LH D prospect (Kylington or Valimaki) should enter the lineup instead of a RH D prospect (Andersson) so Stone must stay.

Personally, I’d keep Kulak and play Andersson next to him because I think that would greatly improve the team’s ability to transition the puck and prevent the other team from doing so.
I think it's a lot of those things.

Stone's contract isn't going to get buried in the AHL if Andersson beats him out while Kulak can just be shuffled down (waiver risk) if Kylington or Valimaki beat him out.

I've never been as down on Stone as others though, and I don't think what he does well fits the charts all that well. He isn't elite in breaking out for sure, but he's physical and his corner is no man's land in taking the puck behind the net or to the front. He blocks a lot of shots. And the big thing is that he can elevate for short to medium periods of time and play a bigger role with better players. That's value especially if he was making $1m less per season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #1418
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see no issue with splitting the 3rd pairing between Kulak, Andersson and Stone. It would be essentially 164 games divided by three which would equal out around 54 games a piece. I think that number would end up higher as injuries are not an if but a when. 54 games wouldn't hinder Anderssons development. It would also only be 15 games fewer than Kulak played last season. The only issue is that it wouldn't be great value for Stone, but all the same he would likely be the player who moves up the lineup in the event of an injury or suspension.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #1419
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think it's a lot of those things.

Stone's contract isn't going to get buried in the AHL if Andersson beats him out while Kulak can just be shuffled down (waiver risk) if Kylington or Valimaki beat him out.

I've never been as down on Stone as others though, and I don't think what he does well fits the charts all that well. He isn't elite in breaking out for sure, but he's physical and his corner is no man's land in taking the puck behind the net or to the front. He blocks a lot of shots. And the big thing is that he can elevate for short to medium periods of time and play a bigger role with better players. That's value especially if he was making $1m less per season.
If I might add to this argument. Stone's physical element contributed well to the team. He was healthy for 82 games. As well, he lead the defence in hits with 106, which is 13 more than the next d man. He did that with while being 5th on the defence for total time on ice.

Granted, hits is a simple stat. Nevertheless, it is at least an indicator of the physicality a player brings. Although the game has evolved into one of speed and skill, physicality still holds value. Lots of games are still won and lost in battles along the boards.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #1420
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameX View Post
Lindholm - Backlund - Tkachuk
Bennet - Janko - Frolik
Hathaway - Ryan - Czarnik

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

Smith
Rittich
Gillies

I personally think Tkachuk and Lindholm should switch positions but I don't how that would affect they're game.
Then why do you think they should switch?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote