Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Dropped earbuds in water

I did something stupid at work and took off my earbuds to toss them aside...into a cup of water. Because its Friday, im at work and im tired, I thought I'd get CP's gadget gurus to advise me on what to do.

They are cheap earbuds that came with my creative mp3 player, so no real loss. But can I salvage them? I haven't tried using them yet. I disconnected them and dried off the outside with a paper towel. They were submerged for a couple of minutes as I left my desk and didnt notice they were in the cup until I came back.

Do I let them dry over the weekend? Is the damage done and its too late? Can I pretty much connect them and use them right away without frying my brain?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

If you can't take them apart, put them in front of a fan or something, and let them dry awhile.

Then try to see if they work. Nothing more you can do really.

My brother has washed his MP3 player twice already, and both times he just took it apart and let it dry, before putting it back together again, and it works fine.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Dry them over the weekend. Most electronics will work once dried as long as they were not powered at the time they got wet.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I woudln't be too worried about it. Blow it off with canned air (but not at too close range) and let it dry over the weekend before using it. It'll be fine.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard putting electronics in rice will do the trick too...absorbs the moisture.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

They work...got too impatient because its a quiet boring afternoon at work, so I tried after about an hour. Working fine.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I think the trick is to submerge them in alcohol (isopropyl) allowing enough time for the water to float away. The buds themselves can then dry and you allow the alcohol to evaporate. Mineral water also works, just not as well.

I would get some nice headphones, or I am sure a few buddies have extra ipod headphones kicking around for you. Ebay might have lots of them.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I would get some nice headphones, or I am sure a few buddies have extra ipod headphones kicking around for you. Ebay might have lots of them.
I hate iPod headphones with a passion. Damn you Apple for propogating terrible headphones that force everyone else on public transit to listen to whatever your customers are listening to!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

i actually put my shure earbuds through both a wash and dry cycle a few months back. They look like they've been through a small war, but they work just fine. Resilient little guys. Just let them completely dry.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
i actually put my shure earbuds through both a wash and dry cycle a few months back. They look like they've been through a small war, but they work just fine. Resilient little guys. Just let them completely dry.
Well isnt that what you did? You put them through the dry cycle!
cKy is offline   Reply With Quote