Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2019, 03:49 PM   #1501
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Tool hasn't released an album in 13 years, so I'm really interested in hearing where they go with it. Their evolution as a band seemed to plateau around Schism and 10,000 days. Will it be a masterpiece over a decade in the making? Or will it be a complete mess performed by disinterested musicians?
I have no idea if it's going to be a masterpiece (probably not), but that it won't be. It took MJK 15 years to release a new album with A Perfect Circle too and it was really good. Tool won't throw out a half-arsed effort either the two new songs they've played live were good too.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #1502
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Tool but feel they are one of the more overrated bands. Aenima is the only album of theirs I would consider a masterpiece. 10,000 days was a total snoozer of an album IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #1503
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I like Tool but feel they are one of the more overrated bands. Aenima is the only album of theirs I would consider a masterpiece. 10,000 days was a total snoozer of an album IMO.

Overrated in the sense that they're not your cup of tea, or overrated in the sense that they aren't as great as people think they are? What would you consider their biggest deficiencies as a band? I agree 10,000 days wasn't so great and it didn't show any evolution from Schism.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:00 PM   #1504
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overrated has just turned into something that people say when they don't like a popular thing.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #1505
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Overrated in the sense that they're not your cup of tea, or overrated in the sense that they aren't as great as people think they are? What would you consider their biggest deficiencies as a band? I agree 10,000 days wasn't so great and it didn't show any evolution from Schism.
I say overrated because that's a word that comes up a lot in a Tool discussion to which I tend to agree. I have all their albums (I listen to a lot of music) so it's not that I don't like them but they kind of fall into a zone of bands that I like but don't love. A lot of people talk them up like they are one of the greatest bands ever and to me one great album does not make an all-time great band.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #1506
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Overrated has just turned into something that people say when they don't like a popular thing.
Maybe but I use it in the context of something that's good being praised as great or the best. If I didn't like Tool's music I would simply say that they aren't my cup of tea as there's plenty of music out there I don't like but it doesn't mean it's bad and that it's just something I personally don't care for. I like Tool as I like a lot of bands and I always have a rotation of bands I'm falling in and out of love with but to me the great bands do more than have a brief moment where they were really good. Slipknot for example is another band people either love or like but feel a little overrated and I would argue they have at least more meat in their discography than Tool.

I will still buy this new Tool album BTW and I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised as when a band is on hiatus as long as they have been you never really know what you are going to get when they finally release something new.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-01-2019 at 09:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #1507
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I say overrated because that's a word that comes up a lot in a Tool discussion to which I tend to agree. I have all their albums (I listen to a lot of music) so it's not that I don't like them but they kind of fall into a zone of bands that I like but don't love. A lot of people talk them up like they are one of the greatest bands ever and to me one great album does not make an all-time great band.
That's why a lot of people don't think they're overrated, because they don't think Aenima is their only great album. I think Aenima is the album that mainstream rock media might try to convince people is the quintessential Tool album (and it is a great album). I would argue Lateralus is their true masterpiece. I think among Tool fans you'd probably have a spirited discussion about what their best album is, which is usually a sign of a great band.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #1508
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I have no idea if it's going to be a masterpiece (probably not), but that it won't be. It took MJK 15 years to release a new album with A Perfect Circle too and it was really good. Tool won't throw out a half-arsed effort either the two new songs they've played live were good too.
I am very excited for the new Tool album but also a little bit worried it won't live up to their catalog after all this time. I thought the last perfect circle album was downright terrible, and a lot of Maynard's stuff with Puscifer never really did anything for me. So I can't just automatically assume I'm going to love the new Tool, but I'm a way bigger fan of them than any of Maynard's side projects.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #1509
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I thought the last perfect circle album was downright terrible
interesting, I absolutely loved it ... well, at least the first half of the album. Never really cared for the Puscifer stuff either.

as for Tool being "overrated", they've definitely been hyped up by so many people for such a long time that I understand the sentiment. Personally I absolutely loved Lateralus and 10,000 Days, so for me it's not "only one masterpiece". Not even sure if Aenima is my favourite of them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #1510
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tool's music is now on streaming services! So far "ticks & leaches" is #1 on google play, guess it wasn't just one of my personal favorites. Though I don't really know how they do their rankings.

so far album popularity is: Lateralus>Undertow>Opiate(EP)>Aenima>10,000 days

I've long thought that you could argue Tool has 1-3 masterpiece albums, it's a good time to dive into to plunge into the back catalogue and figure it out.

e: Can we at least agree Tool is the best metal to listen to while doing mushrooms?

Last edited by Matata; 08-02-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #1511
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tool's music is now on streaming services! So far "ticks & leaches" is #1 on google play, guess it wasn't just one of my personal favorites. Though I don't really know how they do their rankings.

I've long thought that you could argue Tool has 1-3 masterpiece albums, it's a good time to dive into to plunge into the back catalogue and figure it out.

e: Can we at least agree Tool is the best metal to listen to while doing mushrooms?
From personal experience I would argue that Dio is the best. The combination of soaring vocals and high fantasy makes for a perfect mood.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #1512
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I now have album artwork on iTunes for all my Tool albums! Yay! I always hated the grey square.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #1513
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
New video from Lacuna Coil (my favorite Italian band) in Calgary Oct. 6. Great band. Lets get out and support these bands!

not that big of a Lacuna Coil fan (they are pretty hit or miss for me), but I really like this one!

also like the new songs that Killswitch Engage have put out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #1514
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

New video from Lacuna Coil (my favorite Italian band) in Calgary Oct. 6. Great band. Lets get out and support these bands!

Went to the New York show on the 22nd. Fantastic performance. Trying to find my way to the September show in Dallas but I don’t think I’ll be able to get away frown work.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #1515
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Sabaton's new album is all about WW1.

The closing track is a very moving rendition (if not metal) of In Flanders Fields.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #1516
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

the new Babymetal album will feature Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) and Joakim Broden (Sabaton) as guest vocalists, which is pretty ####ing awesome. Interested in how that will turn out.

Slipknot has a new album out today. Sounds pretty good at first glance.

The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 10:17 AM   #1517
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:

So what are everyone’s thoughts? I really like it myself.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #1518
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

New live performance from Jinjer, great sound. Really hope I can make it when they're here in October

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 04:17 PM   #1519
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

So what are everyone’s thoughts? I really like it myself.
Love it. I was nervous about what I would think given how long its been since they put anything out. But I feel like its how Tool should sound in 2019. Not exactly repeating themselves, but not a complete departure from what they were best at. As a huge fan of Lateralus and their more lengthy, hypnotic and multi-dimensional work, I'm thrilled with it. The song gets better with each listen and I can't wait for the album.

Its interesting, with the combination of time, lofty expectations of a rabid fanbase, and the way the internet is these days -- you just didn't know how this was going to work out for them. But I really think they knocked it out of the park. Most of the commentary I've seen online has been very positive and I don't think its just old Tool fans trying to convince themselves its good. Its legitimately very good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #1520
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

really like it as well and it's put my mind at ease a bit in terms of the new album. I've always loved Tool and obviously expectations are not exactly low when you wait this long for a new album, so yeah, I'm sure every fan has thought the same: "please don't suck". Liking the first single doesn't necessarily mean a lot but it's obviously not a bad sign.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post: