Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #2301
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I wonder how playing Neal up the lineup would have gone over with the core Flames group...
Or the fan base
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #2302
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Disagree on this front. The arena is years away, and what are they selling at that stage? A mediocre team who can’t win a playoff series (or make the playoffs) or a young exciting team filled with hope?

Hope is easier to sell than mediocrity.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's the way Murray Edwards sees it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #2303
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think that's the way Murray Edwards sees it.
Judging by the way this organization has been run over the past 15 years or so, I would agree.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #2304
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean the owners clearly allowed a full rebuild in 2013 that was unexpectedly expedited when we made the playoffs two years later.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #2305
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I mean the owners clearly allowed a full rebuild in 2013 that was unexpectedly expedited when we made the playoffs two years later.
The owners accepted a rebuild only after every other option was exhausted. They brought in retreads, they chased Brad Richards, they changed coaches & GM’s. They had no other option. The face of the franchise was leaving and the writing was on the wall. I would have bet that if Iginla had resigned, I don’t think they rebuild at all and they would have continued to go the route they were on.

And, to your point, they leapt out of the rebuild as soon as they possibly could. I would also bet that after making the playoffs and winning a round in 2015 the direction from ownership would have been ‘make the playoffs again, rebuild’s over’.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #2306
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

LoL - Neal playing up the lineup to increase his value. IIRC, Neal got a lot of undeserved looks in the top 6. He was also the guy out with Monahan and Gaudreau after ever PK, and what was his stat line? Worse yet, how was Monahan and Gaudreau's respective stat lines when during those shifts. I might be wrong, but I sincerely remember getting really annoyed with Peters as it was an automatic zero points every single time. Now I might be exaggerating here (but somehow, I don't think I am) in thinking that Chris Stewart did better with Gaudreau and Monahan. Also, nobody remember how he was arguing with Peters during practice in the playoffs, and was trying to get more ice time? Then remember how he basically decided not to play defence, directly contributing to that ugly and pathetic goal against? Then he was a healthy scratch for the final playoff game, which I felt was LONG overdue. He should have been a healthy scratch halfway through the season.

Neal had to go. Lucic's contract is bad, but at least he is apparently a positive contributor to the locker room, he actually does have intangibles, he is faster, he makes better plays, he plays better defence, and helps give this squad a bit of swagger. He also comes cheaper.

This was a positive move by Treliving in my opinion, and probably the only move left to him as everyone knew by this point that Neal sucked. I am sure he got shopped, but there were zero takers. Calgary did well in that trade, IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #2307
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No I wouldn't. I would have done everything humanly possible to move Neal and taken nothing back. If Neal was that large a concern I would have shopped Neal and offered to retain 25% and given up our third round pick to make it happen. The smart play would have been to play him up the line up, let him have his hot start, garner a little bit of interest, then dump him at the first opportunity. Do NOT take back an even worse contract back just to get rid of Neal.

It was a horrible trade. Lucic's deal is worse because it is buyout proof.
We're stuck with dead cap space. Treliving's incompetence at signing free agents has cost us the cash that could secure another top line player. We have $8M in dead space because of Lucic, Brouwer, and Stone, and Stone was a double #### up as he had to go out and sign him again after buying him out. Just brutal management. You can forgive a swing at a pitch in the dirt every now and then, but when the GM does it consistently it is a problem. This team will not be competitive so long as that much money is locked into players that don't contribute. Imagine what 10% of the cap could do to improve this team?
I would invite you to look up the video in which Leslie brings up the uncomfortable topic of the departure of James Neal was in the POV of Rasmus Andersson.

Or I can just sum it up for you if you’d like: James Neal was locker room cancer. It was as clear as day. The entitled brat didn’t deserve any kind of ice time that you think he should have. After a year of trash, what GM in their right mind would fall for your proposal of spoon feeding him in minutes in hopes that there would be a taker? Come on now.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #2308
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
This thread is stuck in a time loop.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:57 PM   #2309
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

All I have to say is, what a nice change it's been hearing about the type of teammate and character Lucic brings to the team compared to Neal.
I'm sure that change is even more profound inside the Flames locker room.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:28 AM   #2310
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If the Leafs self destruct once again and we don't 'lose for laf', maybe we can pry one of their young forwards away at a BT speciality price
Old 08-03-2020, 12:43 AM   #2311
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
If the Leafs self destruct once again and we don't 'lose for laf', maybe we can pry one of their young forwards away at a BT speciality price
Still very much would like Kapanen from them. Would help make the third line a real threat and could move up when needed. Good hustle and energy with some offensive instinct.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:48 AM   #2312
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Still very much would like Kapanen from them. Would help make the third line a real threat and could move up when needed. Good hustle and energy with some offensive instinct.
Definitely could be another Lindholm. Skilled, feisty, versatile.

I was thinking bigger when i hit send the first time, but i really do like Kapanen...
Old 08-03-2020, 01:07 AM   #2313
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Definitely could be another Lindholm. Skilled, feisty, versatile.

I was thinking bigger when i hit send the first time, but i really do like Kapanen...
Could definitely see similar room for growth from him after being kind of pushed down a deep roster. He's a bit of an afterthought after their big guns but I've seen him stick out over those guys in games where the team wasn't playing so well. Tells you a lot when he's doing good things when the rest of the team has mailed it in.

Elias is always doing things regardless of how the game is going that make him a threat, and that's why he scores consistently.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #2314
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I was wondering about Hall is that if he is looking for stability and a chance at winning, I doubt he signs with the Flames if they get bounced early this playoffs.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #2315
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of talk about a new core emerging for this team during these playoffs. If I were to put together my dream off-season after watching the playoffs up to this point for fun, this is what I’d be dreaming of:

Trade 1:
To New Jersey: Johnny Gaudreau, Oliver Kylington (RFA)
To Calgary: 2020 1st round pick (7th Overall)

Trade 2:
To Ottawa: Derek Ryan, Mark Jankowski (RFA)
To Calgary: 2021 2nd round pick (NYI)

Trade 3:
To Columbus: 2020 2nd round pick, 2021 2nd round pick
To Calgary: Josh Anderson (RFA)

Draft:
7th Overall - Jamie Drysdale
20th Overall - Hendrix Lapierre

Sign:
Taylor Hall (7 years, $8M AAV)
Robin Lehner (6 years, $7M AAV)
Colin Blackwell (2 years, $1.25M AAV)
Alan Quine (2 years, $750K)
Tobias Rieder (2 years, $800K)
Michael Stone (2 years, $725K - $700K in 20/21, $750K in 21/22)

Andrew Mangiapane (2 years, $2.275M AAV)
Josh Anderson (2 years, $3M AAV)

Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm
Hall - Bennett - Dube
Mangiapane - Backlund - Anderson
Lucic - Blackwell - Rieder
Quine

Hanifin - Andersson
Giordano - Drysdale
Valimaki - Mackey (The Mackeys!)
Stone

Lehner
Rittich

Salary: $80,339,166

That would leave about $1.135M in cap-space for bonuses (Dube, Valimaki, Drysdale), and any call-ups.

I’d then protect:
Tkachuk
Monahan
Lindholm
Hall
Bennett
Dube
Whoever has the best season between: Mangiapane, Backlund, Anderson

Hanifin
Andersson
Giordano

Lehner

So we’d be exposing (at the NHL level):

David Rittich
Michael Stone
Quine
Blackwell
Rieder
Lucic
And two of Backlund, Mangiapane, Anderson - one of which we would lose undoubtedly.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #2316
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of talk about a new core emerging for this team during these playoffs. If I were to put together my dream off-season after watching the playoffs up to this point for fun, this is what I’d be dreaming of:

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Trade 3:

Draft:

Sign:

Hall - Bennett - Dube
Quine

Hanifin - Andersson
Giordano - Drysdale
Stone

Lehner
Rittich

That would leave about $1.135M in cap-space for bonuses (Dube, Valimaki, Drysdale), and any call-ups.

I’d then protect:
Tkachuk
Monahan
Lindholm
Hall
Bennett
Dube

Hanifin
Andersson
Giordano

Lehner

David Rittich
Michael Stone
Quine
Blackwell
Rieder
Lucic
And two of Backlund, Mangiapane, Anderson - one of which we would lose undoubtedly.
I think monahan is more of a 2and line centre from what iv seen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #2317
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Trade 3:

Draft:

Sign:

Hall - Bennett - Dube
Quine

Hanifin - Andersson
Giordano - Drysdale
Stone

Lehner
Rittich

I’d then protect:
Tkachuk
Monahan
Lindholm
Hall
Bennett
Dube

Hanifin
Andersson
Giordano

Lehner

David Rittich
Michael Stone
Quine
Blackwell
Rieder
Lucic
I hate that Gaudreau trade.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #2318
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is the precedent for trading a perennial all star winger for one draft pick?

The chances of that pick becoming a perennial all star is really slim, yet the Flames are adding to Gaudreau to get that pick?

Always amazes me the ridiculously high value fans put on those draft picks, like the player that gets selected with it is a guaranteed star or something. But then you go back and look at all the past drafts and see that isn't nearly the case.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #2319
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Where is the precedent for trading a perennial all star winger for one draft pick?

The chances of that pick becoming a perennial all star is really slim, yet the Flames are adding to Gaudreau to get that pick?

Always amazes me the ridiculously high value fans put on those draft picks, like the player that gets selected with it is a guaranteed star or something. But then you go back and look at all the past drafts and see that isn't nearly the case.
True, it’s a lot of value going to New Jersey - but 7th overall returning Jamie Drysdale is different than a typical pick. It’s the type of trade I’d want the Flames to target - Buffalo’s 8th overall or New Jersey’s 7th overall would be my prime targets in a Johnny trade.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #2320
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames won't make any trades that make them worse next season...save your breath

or fingers?