Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #142
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What is good to make during a heat wave? Simple to prepare, light and refreshing?
I was a bit wary of the black pepper in this, but this recipe's amazing. So easy.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...ckberry-slush/
Old 07-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #143
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Your go-to recipe/cooking thread

Quote:
What is good to make during a heat wave? Simple to prepare, light and refreshing?

Ice cubes. But.. maybe a nice gazpacho soup.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #144
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A cold pasta salad (I make mine without mayo) is awesome. Cook some sun-dried tomatoes on low heat with some red onions, garlic, and evoo, making sure you add some of that oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes for flavour. Do this to infuse the olive oil with the tartness of the tomatoes and mix with cooked pasta while the pasta is still warm, along with diced veggies of your choosing for crunch. I like using bell peppers and some more uncooked red onions. Add chopped Italian parsley for freshness and mix well, season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavours to marry.

Very simple recipe but very damn tasty, and the best when served cold. Don't skip the fresh parsley!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #145
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made some homemade Chinese BBQ Pork for lunch today (what you see hanging in the windows of Chinese butchers). Delicious!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290006232837758981
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #146
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, hive mind - need some suggestions. Bought a giant beef tenderloin from Costco (the de-veined/de-fatted version). Before any research... my initial thought was to salt & pepper, sear on high on the BBQ for 3 minitues/side and then 30 mins in the oven at 350 in a cast iron casserole. I am thinking that would give me medium/medium-rare when I cut it after. Yes, no, maybe? Thanks in advance.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #147
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Ok, hive mind - need some suggestions. Bought a giant beef tenderloin from Costco (the de-veined/de-fatted version). Before any research... my initial thought was to salt & pepper, sear on high on the BBQ for 3 minitues/side and then 30 mins in the oven at 350 in a cast iron casserole. I am thinking that would give me medium/medium-rare when I cut it after. Yes, no, maybe? Thanks in advance.
I know it isn't helpful to you now, but I highly recommend that you invest in a good quality digital thermometer. I use the Thermoworks Thermapen (for instant thermometer) and Thermoworks Smoke (for leave-in). Its a gamechanger.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #148
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I know it isn't helpful to you now, but I highly recommend that you invest in a good quality digital thermometer. I use the Thermoworks Thermapen (for instant thermometer) and Thermoworks Smoke (for leave-in). Its a gamechanger.
I assume Amazon could bring those to me before I cook on Saturday.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #149
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure you can get a thermapen from Amazon. I'm cheap and just ordered one fo these, but it looks like it won't get to you until Sunday. But that brand has good reviews, so you can maybe find something from them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #150
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

hey Vlad

this is the recipe i use for a tenderloin roast (i know the recipe says prime rib roast, but it is amazing with a tenderloin)...

Herbed Rib Roast
Yield - Makes 8 servings

Ingredients
  • For roast
    • 1 (7- to 8-lb) prime rib roast (sometimes called standing rib roast; 3 or 4 ribs)
    • 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
    • 2 bay leaves (not California)
    • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
    • 3 garlic cloves
    • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • For jus
    • 2 cups beef broth
    • 1 small fresh rosemary sprig
    • 1 small fresh thyme sprig
    • 1 garlic clove, smashed
· Preparation

• Prepare roast:
    • Trim all but a thin layer of fat from roast. Grind peppercorns and bay leaves with salt to a powder in an electric coffee/spice grinder, then transfer to a mortar. Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary, then pound to a smooth paste with pestle. Stir in oil. Rub paste all over roast. Transfer roast to a rack set in a small flameproof roasting pan. Marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hours – but no more than 24 hrs.
  • Cook roast:
    • Let roast stand at room temperature 1 hour.
    • Preheat oven to 450°F.
    • Roast beef in middle of oven 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and roast beef until a thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 110°F, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours more. Transfer beef to a large platter and let stand, uncovered, 25 minutes. (Meat will continue to cook, reaching about 130°F for medium-rare.)
  • Make jus:
    • Skim fat from pan juices. Add broth, rosemary, thyme, and garlic and deglaze pan by simmering on top of stove over moderate heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits. Transfer to a small saucepan and add any juices that have collected on platter. Gently simmer 10 minutes. Skim fat and season jus with salt and pepper.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #151
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Chateaubriand. We made that for Christmas.

That to me is apex tenderloin roast.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #152
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 09-12-2020, 01:41 PM   #153
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

The absolute BEST Asian salad dressing/dipping sauce:

Juice one lime, the juice it produces will be 1 part.

1 part lime juice
1 part honey
1 part soy sauce (I use China Lilly)
1.5 parts veggie oil (I use Becel Oil as it's canola and sunflower. Don't use olive oil.)
0.5 part sesame oil (less if you're sensitive to it)
1-2 crushed garlic cloves
1 inch piece of grated ginger
Pinch of salt

Put all your ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. Blend again before use. I'd recommend not keeping this in the fridge as it'll separate and some of the oils will thicken. It keeps in a jar in the cupboard for about a week.

Enjoy!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #154
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
French Bistro Salad

Tarragon Vinaigrette
2/3 cup oil
1/3 cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp chopped tarragon
1 to 2 tsp sugar, to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of garlic powder
1 large shallot, thinly sliced

Salad
12 oz. baby potatoes
12 oz. green or yellow beans
4 large eggs
1 tsp chopped tarragon

Optional Salad Ingredients: Halved cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes, olives, anchovies, capers, tuna

Combine all the vinaigrette ingredients except the shallot and whisk until emulsified. Add the shallots and refrigerate until needed. This is best if made earlier in the day.

Bring a small pot of water to a boil, add the eggs, and boil gently for 7 minutes. Drain and put in ice water.

Bring another pot of salted water to a boil and add the beans. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on the size of the beans, and then drain and put in an ice bath.

Once the eggs and beans are completely cooled, refrigerate until needed.

Just before mealtime, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overcook the potatoes. Drain the potatoes and cut them in half. Toss with 3 to 4 Tbsp of the vinaigrette (not the shallots) and stir to combine, Cover and let the flavors meld for 15 minutes.

In the meantime, peel the boiled eggs.

When ready to serve, put the potatoes and beans in a serving bowl along with any optional ingredients you are using. Add a few more tablespoons of the vinaigrette (not the shallots) and toss to combine. Do not overmix. Add more of the vinaigrette if needed.

Remove the pickled shallots from the remaining vinaigrette and sprinkle over the salad.

Cut the eggs in half, put on top of the tossed salad, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the remaining chopped tarragon over the salad and serve.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 08:55 PM   #155
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know why but it seems to be kind of bland.

Roast Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce
This beef tenderloin with a rich red wine sauce is a true show-stopper. Perfect for a special occasion!

Ingredients:

For the sauce

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided

3/4 cup finely chopped shallots, from 2-3 large shallots

1-1/4 cups red wine

3 cups beef broth

6 fresh thyme sprigs

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

For the beef

1 2-3 lb centre-cut beef tenderloin roast

Kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon per pound of beef)

Freshly ground black pepper (1/4 teaspoon per pound of beef)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/4 cup beef broth

Method:

For the sauce

Melt 5 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the wine, beef broth, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and sugar, and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by about half.

While the liquid is reducing, place the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl and soften in the microwave, if necessary (it should be soft but not melted). Add the flour and, using a small spoon, mix into a smooth paste.

Once the wine mixture is reduced, reduce the heat to low and remove the thyme sprigs. Whisk the flour-butter paste, a teaspoonful at a time, into the simmering liquid, and let simmer for a few minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Set aside. (The sauce can be made up to this point and refrigerated up to 3 days ahead of time.)

For the tenderloin

Let the beef stand at room temperature for 1 hour before roasting. Set an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 400°F.

Season the beef all over with kosher salt and pepper. Heat the oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Cook, turning with tongs, until well browned on all but one side, about 10 minutes total. Turn the tenderloin so that the unseared side is down, and transfer the skillet directly to the preheated oven. (If your pan isn't ovenproof, transfer the beef to a lightly oiled roasting pan.) Roast until a thermometer inserted into the centre of the meat registers 120°F-125° for medium-rare, about 15 minutes, or until done to your liking (115°F-120°F for rare, 130°F-135°F for medium). Keep in mind that these temperatures account for the fact that the temperature will continue to rise about 5 degrees while the meat rests.

Transfer the meat to a carving board (preferably with a well for collecting juices) and let it rest, cover loosely with aluminum foil, for 10 to 15 minutes. Place a dishtowel or oven mitt over the handle of the roasting pan to remind yourself that it's hot.

Meanwhile, carefully discard the fat from the roasting pan (remember that the handle is hot!). Set the pan on the stovetop and add the 1/4 cup of beef broth. Bring the broth to a boil, using a wooden spoon to scrape the fond, or brown bits, from the bottom of the pan. Add the flavourful broth to the red wine sauce, and then bring the sauce to a simmer.

Carve the tenderloin into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Serve the beef, passing the red wine sauce at the table.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #156
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure you can get a thermapen from Amazon. I'm cheap and just ordered one fo these, but it looks like it won't get to you until Sunday. But that brand has good reviews, so you can maybe find something from them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FYI, this is a good thermometer. Very quick results, claims waterproof(not going to test), can be calibrated, super long probe, and lit readout. Way better than my old one. They have several on Amazon, but this had some features the folding one doesn't.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #157
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\

Haha, Captain, that's the one I wound up using, but I actually skipped the sauce. It turned out great, though I missed perfection by a minute or two (the temp surged really fast from 115 to 130), so it wound up more medium than I would have liked. I don't think a great filet needs more than salt seasoning. Tried with horseradish too, and that was nice as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 12:55 AM   #158
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ah I missed it! Beef tenderloin with red wine mushroom gravy is my go to meal.

It's very similar to CC's

The only changes are;

I coat the tenderloin with rosemary and the herb & garlic butter you can buy at the store in the yellow wrapper.

I also cheat with the gravy, honestly I think it's better than scratch.
Saute about 1/2cup of mushrooms in the bottom of a saucepan
Add 1/2cup of red wine, let it reduce for a few minutes.
Add 2 cups of water
Add 2 packs of Knorr Hunter Gravy.

Guys I can't tell you how good Knorrs hunter Gravy is.

If you're into German food (my mom is Swiss and her sister is a chef) The Knorrs hunter Gravy with milk instead of water makes a phenomenal Geschnetzeltes (creamy mushroom sauce).

https://www.daringgourmet.com/german...with-spaetzle/

I also use egg noodles instead of spaetzle, a delicious dish that takes next to no effort.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 11:09 AM   #159
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't know why but it seems to be kind of bland.

Roast Beef Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce
This beef tenderloin with a rich red wine sauce is a true show-stopper. Perfect for a special occasion!

Ingredients:

For the sauce

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided

3/4 cup finely chopped shallots, from 2-3 large shallots

1-1/4 cups red wine

3 cups beef broth

6 fresh thyme sprigs

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

For the beef

1 2-3 lb centre-cut beef tenderloin roast

Kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon per pound of beef)

Freshly ground black pepper (1/4 teaspoon per pound of beef)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/4 cup beef broth

Method:

For the sauce

Melt 5 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the wine, beef broth, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and sugar, and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by about half.

While the liquid is reducing, place the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl and soften in the microwave, if necessary (it should be soft but not melted). Add the flour and, using a small spoon, mix into a smooth paste.

Once the wine mixture is reduced, reduce the heat to low and remove the thyme sprigs. Whisk the flour-butter paste, a teaspoonful at a time, into the simmering liquid, and let simmer for a few minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Set aside. (The sauce can be made up to this point and refrigerated up to 3 days ahead of time.)

For the tenderloin

Let the beef stand at room temperature for 1 hour before roasting. Set an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 400°F.

Season the beef all over with kosher salt and pepper. Heat the oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Cook, turning with tongs, until well browned on all but one side, about 10 minutes total. Turn the tenderloin so that the unseared side is down, and transfer the skillet directly to the preheated oven. (If your pan isn't ovenproof, transfer the beef to a lightly oiled roasting pan.) Roast until a thermometer inserted into the centre of the meat registers 120°F-125° for medium-rare, about 15 minutes, or until done to your liking (115°F-120°F for rare, 130°F-135°F for medium). Keep in mind that these temperatures account for the fact that the temperature will continue to rise about 5 degrees while the meat rests.

Transfer the meat to a carving board (preferably with a well for collecting juices) and let it rest, cover loosely with aluminum foil, for 10 to 15 minutes. Place a dishtowel or oven mitt over the handle of the roasting pan to remind yourself that it's hot.

Meanwhile, carefully discard the fat from the roasting pan (remember that the handle is hot!). Set the pan on the stovetop and add the 1/4 cup of beef broth. Bring the broth to a boil, using a wooden spoon to scrape the fond, or brown bits, from the bottom of the pan. Add the flavourful broth to the red wine sauce, and then bring the sauce to a simmer.

Carve the tenderloin into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Serve the beef, passing the red wine sauce at the table.
I made this exact recipe 2 years ago for Christmas dinner. It did not disappoint and I highly recommend it. I made the sauce the day before so Christmas day was easy.

Yes they don't lie when they say take it out 125 for med rare...was perfect.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #160
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

every christmas i like to try making a new 'treat' to go with the christmas goodies i cook up. this year i tried maple fudge - oh... my... goodness!! this recipe was/is fantastic. i read a bunch of comments about some people having great success - others, total failure - so i was a little nervous about this one. it turned out great and for the record, i have never used a candy thermometer before making this fudge (i actually had to buy one - thanks amazon!).
**oh - one of the comments i read about doing candy and having to hit certain temps/boiling points is that elevation effects stuff like that - so i'm not sure if calgary's elevation would have any effect on that?!?
another thing... it says the fudge has to hit 240F... i found that both times when i made this that it got to 225F quite quickly and then just seemed to sit there forever, then slowly climb to 240F. don't go 'cranking up the heat' - leave your element at medium!

Maple Fudge
Preparation 10 MIN Cooking 10 MIN Cooling 1 H 30 MIN

INGREDIENTS
1 cup heavy cream (35%)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
½ cup maple syrup
2 TBSP corn syrup
1 oz (28g) white chocolate, chopped
¼ tsp vanilla extract

METHOD
o Line the bottom of an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan with parchment paper, letting the paper hang over two sides. Butter the other two sides.
o Set you element to medium. In a heavy saucepan, bring all the ingredients except for the chocolate and vanilla to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Let simmer without stirring until a candy thermometer placed into the center of the pan reads 240°F (115°C). Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla without stirring.
o Place the pan in a water bath. Let cool without stirring for 20 to 30 minutes or until the thermometer reads 110°F (43°C).
o Remove the pan from the water. With an electric mixer, beat the mixture for about 2 minutes or until it is thick and loses its gloss.
o Immediately pour into the prepared pan and spread with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool for 1 hour at room temperature or 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Unmould and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares.
o Store in an airtight container. The fudge squares can be made in advance and freeze very well.

Tags
slaving over a hot stove , tasty treats