Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #981
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I’m willing to bet you will watch almost every game.
No, I’m not supporting this but I do hope the Flames do well. If I watch any sports in July it will be to see Barca end the season, whatever the outcome at least the league is still legit.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:07 PM   #982
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
So does this mean they can only negotiate on a 24 team playoff ? I really don’t understand the reasoning for this message from NHLPA?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #983
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
No, I’m not supporting this but I do hope the Flames do well. If I watch any sports in July it will be to see Barca end the season, whatever the outcome at least the league is still legit.
Okay bye. https://www.reddit.com/r/Barca/

See you in July
Old 05-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #984
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
The vote was passed 29-2. Looks like they are okay with the "INTEGRITY"
Probably because once the teams are at 16, they are doing the playoffs the EXACT SAME WAY that they’ve been done for years now.

Regular season is used as playoff qualifying. Now because of the final 15% being blown out, this play in system was adopted to finalize the teams in the dance.

It’s not perfect, but no method is but the integrity of the cup is not tarnished whatsoever because of this.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #985
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Probably because once the teams are at 16, they are doing the playoffs the EXACT SAME WAY that they’ve been done for years now.

Regular season is used as playoff qualifying. Now because of the final 15% being blown out, this play in system was adopted to finalize the teams in the dance.

It’s not perfect, but no method is but the integrity of the cup is not tarnished whatsoever because of this.
Exactly couldnt agree more
Old 05-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #986
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe league integrity is actually improved. Wasn’t it just a couple years ago when a team failed to qualify for the playoffs in the final game of the season because they lost in a shootout?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:21 PM   #987
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Also worth mentioning is the fact that Chicago(12th place) would get an easier matchup with Edmonton than we would with Winnipeg. It’s a big joke and they risk losing more fans in the long run.

I’m not saying to scrap the season I just want the original 16 team format for the playoffs. If you didn’t make the cut by points% then you didn’t make the cut...
The Flames would have to be able to beat teams as good as and better than Winnipeg to win the prize anyways so whatever.

In the end there's no easy path to the cup and I wouldn't want us to be a beneficiary of that to discredit any of it. Bring it on.

And good, I hope Chicago stomps those pretenders. I feel like they'd have a legitimate shot too, they play the Oilers well typically.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #988
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Okay bye. https://www.reddit.com/r/Barca/

See you in July
Cool? I’m already on there, what’s your point? If you’re gonna be in Barcelona in July then I will totally see you around as well
Old 05-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #989
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll be buying a f-ing Blackhawks Jersey!
Old 05-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #990
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
So does this mean they can only negotiate on a 24 team playoff ? I really don’t understand the reasoning for this message from NHLPA?
What I get from this is the NHL proposed a 24-team return and the NHLPA is willing to negotiate from that
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #991
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, let's compare a league that has only 2 and a half competitive teams ever and no playoff system to the NHL.

Great example of "legit" league
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #992
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then the next logical step is tiebreakers, regulation wins or goal differential. I agree this way isn’t 100% honourable either but it has more integrity than a 24 team playoff.
All still based on unbalanced and uneven schedules.

The eventual cup winner will be 100% legit IMO. Several teams will probably have valid reasons to be butthurt about how it plays out, though.

There are a lot of other ways to design this with more integrity and competitive purity, but they are all more complicated, which makes it harder to present to the average fan, and adds more wrinkles to risk mitigation. This is a reasonable enough balance of all things considered.

Moving forward to more normal times, I hope they go to a 5v4 single play-in game for each division...ideally the winners would have to travel to the 1 seed and play game 1 of the series the next night, as 1 seeds deserve more advantage than they get now.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:07 PM   #993
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any guesses to the 2 no votes? PIT makes sense as they were 7th highest pt% in the league but don't get one of the 8 byes. BUF or NJD? Can't see who else would have an issue.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #994
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Any guesses to the 2 no votes? PIT makes sense as they were 7th highest pt% in the league but don't get one of the 8 byes. BUF or NJD? Can't see who else would have an issue.
Wasn't Pittsburgh:
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...n-play-format/
Old 05-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #995
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh interesting. The article I read was out of Pittsburgh that quoted a source who said with certainty that they voted no. Wonder which teams were opposed.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:30 PM   #996
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Yes, let's compare a league that has only 2 and a half competitive teams ever and no playoff system to the NHL.

Great example of "legit" league
You are aware that every top footy team plays in 3 simultaneous competitions during the season right? Two of those 3 are playoff competitions and there are a whole lot more than just 2 competitive teams lol. Typical response from someone who doesn’t watch the sport though.

Last edited by Dragomir; 05-22-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:42 PM   #997
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

It was probably Chicago and Montreal who voted against it just to troll the hockey world.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:06 AM   #998
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Any news? Checked the mega thread OP and no updates.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #999
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we see some changes to the format before all is said and done
Old 05-23-2020, 12:34 AM   #1000
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I feel bad for people who paid to see the regular season and got invested only to have it be meaningless at the end of the day. That’s why I believe the NHL will lose fans in the long run with this short-term mentality, I know a lot of fans in Europe view this as Mickey Mouse move by the league as well.
There is no fundamental set of parameters the NHL owes you..

If this format happens I’ll gladly help fill the local bar to its 50% capacity and cheer obnoxiously loud when Mikael Backlund scores the OT winner in game 5 to propel the Flames to the next round.

Life is a lot more fun when you enjoy things.

Do what you want of course, but there are a lot of things that aren’t going to be perfect over the next few years. Either adapt or don’t. I know which way will make me happier so that’s what I’m going to go with.

Last edited by Jiggy_12; 05-23-2020 at 01:14 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread