Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #761
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Its been friedmans crusade to have play ins or an expanded playoff format for years. Not hard to wag my finger at media types or the media in general.
Elliote Friedman is responsible for the expanded format being talked about in the NHL/PA’s return planning. That’s a ridiculous stretch at best.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #762
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Its been friedmans crusade to have play ins or an expanded playoff format for years. Not hard to wag my finger at media types or the media in general.
So are you suggesting that Bettman and Daly and company are taking their marching orders from Elliotte Friedman?

Cause regardless what anyone has ever said about anything anywhere...Bettman has always struck me as a guy who follows his own path.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #763
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Here is Bobby Mac on radio yesterday explaining why the NHL is looking at the options they are looking at.

Breaks it down pretty well. No mention of Friedman being the driving force anywhere in it though.

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/...9976742.502141

One of the big take aways is him saying he thinks its about 600 Million dollars that are due to be paid out in signing bonuses on July 1 this year.

And people question why owners want to get the TV revenue from this season?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #764
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I get it totally. That's why I'm against this format. I think some of you are so desperate for sports that you are willing to look the other way when it comes to integrity of the leagues you follow. Here's a good article detailing why the 24 team format is a sham and cash grab for the league that screws a lot of teams that had good regular seasons in the name of revenue. I'm simply against awarding the Stanley Cup for this.

https://theathletic.com/1817525/2020...ayoff-formats/

Brian Burke on the radio just now said the 24 team tournament was a sham and it should be 8 team for integrity. I'm not on an island here as some people care about the integrity of the sports we follow.
That is the complete opposite of what Brian Burke said. He said 8 teams is the minimum for there to be integrity in the playoff. 16 is the traditional way and he has no problem with what the league is considering under the circumstances.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:28 AM   #765
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Will you watch as much as usual if the Flames don’t qualify for final 16? I think my interest would end then and there.
I'd watch it right to the end. I mean, what else do people have going on these days with the home isolating?

I guess I'd welcome any type of hockey back. I don't really care about "traditions" or thinks it ruins any sort of "integrity" of the game. It's still a fair play style for all teams involved, so not sure how it ruins the integrity.

At this point, I'm with Boomer. I just want to watch games (provided they are done in a safe environment, which has always been my only caveat).
Old 05-21-2020, 09:30 AM   #766
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Here is Bobby Mac on radio yesterday explaining why the NHL is looking at the options they are looking at.

Breaks it down pretty well. No mention of Friedman being the driving force anywhere in it though.

https://post.futurimedia.com/chumam/...9976742.502141

One of the big take aways is him saying he thinks its about 600 Million dollars that are due to be paid out in signing bonuses on July 1 this year.

And people question why owners want to get the TV revenue from this season?
Yes, it’s clearly about money and whatever they do, if anything do it as far away from here as possible and make the NHL pay for it. We have a limited amount of medical resources and no money available for another arena type cash grab for their “elite” league playoff.

There is really no public appetite for this in Canada.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #767
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like some people are in complete denial about the reality of this. There is no situation where the NHL resumes normal circumstances that fit in with your ideas of how a season and playoffs should be, any time soon.
Even if they cancel and try to resume a normal season in October its not like there is guaranteed to be a vaccine or normal travel at the time. We are in an adapt or die phase of economic adjustment. Whatever the league comes up with now might actually help them figure out some things for next season too (whenever it begins).
You just have to let go of the fact that the normal NHL as we remember it a couple of months ago, is gone. It may take a couple years to get it back. I'm pretty much ok with any thing they come up with, short of sticks in the middle.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 05-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #768
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Yes, it’s clearly about money and whatever they do, if anything do it as far away from here as possible and make the NHL pay for it. We have a limited amount of medical resources and no money available for another arena type cash grab for their “elite” league playoff.

There is really no public appetite for this in Canada.
Pay for what?

Everything they are planning is on their dime as it is.

And you don't think their is an appetite for NHL hockey in this country?
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #769
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
That is the complete opposite of what Brian Burke said. He said 8 teams is the minimum for there to be integrity in the playoff. 16 is the traditional way and he has no problem with what the league is considering under the circumstances.
They are replaying it right now and you are incorrect. He said 24 is not doable and 8 teams was legit. He said lock into 8 teams and then see if 16 is doable.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #770
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Will you watch as much as usual if the Flames don’t qualify for final 16? I think my interest would end then and there.
If you watching hockey relies on the success of the Flames, you sure have had a lot of free time over the year. I am a Flames fan and an NHL fan.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #771
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
If you watching hockey relies on the success of the Flames, you sure have had a lot of free time over the year. I am a Flames fan and an NHL fan.
I don't have that that much free time to watch TV. I thought during the pandemic I would have time to binge watch some TV shows I missed, but I realized I really don't have much free time, even now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #772
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
They are replaying it right now and you are incorrect. He said 24 is not doable and 8 teams was legit. He said lock into 8 teams and then see if 16 is doable.
8 is way more of a sham than 24

24 gives you an alternative to playing out the season with only teams in contention, and 4 proper rounds for the 16

The Cup winner last year was not in the top 8
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #773
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

I would suspect that TV numbers will be pretty good if only because so many are hit financially and their normal summer activities are either unaffordable right now or just plain unavailable. So they would already be at home watching something.

In my case I miss quite a bit of the final 2 rounds each year because Im out camping if the weather is co-operating, and even at times it isnt. Playing into July and August and that will only make that TV viewing even less.

If the Flames were to be playing deep...i would cobble together a mobile satellite dish system and watch any games out in the bush. We did it for a Stamps game a few years back. It was pretty cool actually. Though nothing I would do on a regular basis.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #774
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1263515575772426240
Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #775
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see why the NHL would want to skip round robin and go straight to series, as it simplifies scheduling, offers some minor risk mitigation, and makes it a bit easier to resolve a 'player tests positive' situation (postpone a few games/make it a Bo3/team leading the series advances, etc.)

It still grosses me out that PIT and MTL may have even odds to get into to the 'real' dance.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #776
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
DVD incoming!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #777
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was against the NHL playing any more 2019-2020 games.

I have changed my mind.

Any and all things that show that this crisis was not near as bad as the Public health officials/ politicians said it was is needed at this time.

I hope they will have social distanced fans in the stands after the first week or 2.

If a player tests positive for COVID then he will have to sit out and skate on his own for a week or so until he gets a negative test.

PS in preparation I hope the players are doing their best to get the disease, recover and get the immunity.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #778
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have that that much free time to watch TV. I thought during the pandemic I would have time to binge watch some TV shows I missed, but I realized I really don't have much free time, even now.
I hear this. I'm actually super busy during all this. But that's no different than normal life...you prioritize the things you want to prioritize. If watching NHL playoffs doesn't appeal to you that's your choice.

You better believe if I am going to fit in any TV time, I'm prioritizing weirdly formatted NHL playoffs over some random Netflix show. I'm gonna chat to my friends about what transpired, and I'm gonna come to CP to see what people think about what happened. I'm going to enjoy it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 05-21-2020 at 11:36 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #779
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I was against the NHL playing any more 2019-2020 games.

I have changed my mind.

Any and all things that show that this crisis was not near as bad as the Public health officials/ politicians said it was is needed at this time.

I hope they will have social distanced fans in the stands after the first week or 2.

If a player tests positive for COVID then he will have to sit out and skate on his own for a week or so until he gets a negative test.

PS in preparation I hope the players are doing their best to get the disease, recover and get the immunity.
That seems intelligent.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #780
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
I know it's Edmonton but if Edmonton can host the entire playoffs, I wonder how much money the provincial government will make... may be a drop in the bucket to fix the economy but still something.
Closed Thread